Satyavati was actually daughter of a king

Sabhayata thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 11 years ago
So i have been re reading all my Mahabharat novels ever since this new MB has started i came across an intresting point which i had long forgotten.Stayavati herself was daughter of a king.
Read below and she was ambitious as well because she actually did put up condition of her sons becoming the king before marrying shantanu not her father
Satyavati
(
Sanskrit: , Satyavat) (also spelled Satyawati), or Setyawati (Indonesian) was the queen of the Kuru king Shantanu of Hastinapur and the great-grandmother of the Pandava and Kaurava princes (principal characters of the Mahabharata, one of the principal texts in Hindu mythology). She is also the mother of the seer Vyasa, author of the epic. Her story appears in the Mahabharata, the Harivamsa and the Devi Bhagavata Purana.Daughter of the Chedi king Vasu (also known as Uparichara Vasu) and a cursed apsara (celestial nymph)-turned-fish Adrika, Satyavati was brought up as a commoner - the adopted daughter of a fisherman-chieftain (who was also a ferryman) on the banks of the rivers Yamuna. Due to the smell emanating from her body she was known as Matsyagandha ("She who has the smell of fish"), and helped her father in his job as a ferryman.As a young woman Satyavati met the wandering rishi (sage) Parashara, who fathered her son Vyasa out of wedlock. The sage also gave her a musky fragrance, which earned her names like Yojanagandha ("She whose fragrance is spread for a yojana (8-9 miles)") and Gandhavati ("fragrant one").Later King Shantanu, captivated by her fragrance and beauty, fell in love with Satyavati and asked her to marry him. She married Santanu on condition that their children inherit the throne, denying the birthright of Santanu's eldest son (and crown prince) Bhishma. Satyavati bore Shantanu two children, Chitrangada and Vichitravirya. After Shantanu's death, she and her princely sons ruled the kingdom. Although both her sons died childless, she arranged for her first son Vyasa to father the children of the two widows of Vichitravirya through niyoga. The children (Dhritarashtra and Pandu) became fathers of the Kauravas and Pandavas, respectively. After Pandu's death, Satyavati went to the forest for penance and died there.While Satyavati's presence of mind, far-sightedness and mastery of realpolitik is praised, her unscrupulous means of achieving her goals and her blind ambition are criticized.
Edited by Sabhayata - 11 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

mythili2 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Thanks fr the story abt satyavati 😊
JustMySelf thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
wow realy didnt knew al these..tfs 😊
S.n.e.h thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 3 Thumbnail
I dint know that Satyawati herself was a princess...

the same question was running on mind since y'day...where Satyawati opposes Kunti marriage to Pandu coz she is not princess (which I guess is wrong becoz ...kunti biological father Shursena was also a king..so she was a princess by both her maternal origins...i dunno why CVs and dialougue writers have not understood this simple thing and gave that dialogue to satyawati...😕😕😕😕)

anyways thanks for sharing this info...do you have any idea...why the princess Satyawati was adopted by a fisherman...why did chedi allowed this...if u know plz share
Sabhayata thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
SnehalS yes sure
See king chedi had an affair with a fisherwomen and satyavati was born out of wedlock so it wanst a very hounourable thing for a king becuase not only did he have an extra martial affair but it was with a lower caste women.As far as i know the story he also had a son with this fisherwoman and he accpeetd the son but not the daughter stayavati well becuase she was a girl.In fact many scholars feel that the reason why stayavati was so ambitious was becuase of her own father who refused to accept her as a princess.Again proviong that there is a reason behind everything and satyavati was also ambitious becuase of a reason
As for kunti she was daughter of Surshena from Yadav clan who was king of Mathura like you said but wasnt Mathura taken over by Kansa'a father?If that is the case then Kunti wanst daughter of a king anymore biligocally
Edited by Sabhayata - 11 years ago
Proud-India thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Yes her father lefet her & took her brother.While She was given to Fisherman Das.
413226 thumbnail

I think someone mentioned earlier in another thread that it was acceptable for men to marry a woman of lower caste but not for women to do so. If shantanu could marry a fisherman's daughter why couldn't Chedi king at least accept a daughter born to him and a fisherwoman 😕

S.n.e.h thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 3 Thumbnail

Thanks Sabhayata...😊

OMG...looking at the MB stories it seems the pioneering efforts for the trend of extra marital affairs were done in those days only...and that is the basic reason of all the later happenings...the more you try to go to the roots more is getting evident...
Proud-India thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: snehalS

Thanks Sabhayata...😊

OMG...looking at the MB stories it seems the pioneering efforts for the trend of extra marital affairs were done in those days only...and that is the basic reason of all the later happenings...the more you try to go to the roots more is getting evident...

Yes..you have point in Writings. We can say like that 😃
Surya_krsnbhakt thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Thanks for sharing! I got to know about this from my ACK Mahabharata, but had totally forgotten about it! Thanks for reminding!

Originally posted by: Sabhayata

SnehalS yes sure

See king chedi had an affair with a fisherwomen and satyavati was born out of wedlock so it wanst a very hounourable thing for a king becuase not only did he have an extra martial affair but it was with a lower caste women.As far as i know the story he also had a son with this fisherwoman and he accpeetd the son but not the daughter stayavati well becuase she was a girl.In fact many scholars feel that the reason why stayavati was so ambitious was becuase of her own father who refused to accept her as a princess.Again proviong that there is a reason behind everything and satyavati was also ambitious becuase of a reason

Na Na, you are getting jumbled up with the story i think! King Uparichara Vasu had a Vimana given to him by the gods I think (That is why the name Uparichara "One who travels above"). At that time the cursed nymph Adrika was in the form of a fish. The King was just looking at the banks at a beautiful woman (I think this is the fisherwoman you meant) and his germ got swallowed by the fish. Since it was actually a nymph, the king's cells grew as normal humans only. Then the chief fisherman caught the fish, and cut it open, releasing the twins inside it. One was a boy and the other was a girl. The rest of the story is right. King Vasu accepted the boy and did not accept the girl, so the fisherman adopted her. But Satyavati was unaware of this. It was Veda vyasa, her son, who found this out.