If Satyavati could,the why couldn't Kunti

486792 thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago
I have a doubt.If Satyavati could acknowledge Ved Vyas as her who was born before marriage,then why couldn't Kunti accept Karna as her son.If she would have done so,then he wouldn't have been treated unfairly by everyone.Even after having read the epic thoroughly so many times,I can't understand this.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Justlikethat1 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Satyavati had the advantage of seeing her son become a great sage. She had the advantage of being Bhishm Pitha's step mom and Shantanu's wife.. She had the advantage of being the Rajmatha and in a lighter vein, have no Saas😆 She also had the boon of remaining a virgin inspite of being a mother to Vyasa.

Kunthi was different. She married Pandu and became the queen only to see her husband die soon after. She remained in the shadows of her BIL and was there as Pandu's wife and Pandu's wife alone. Kunthi, unlike Satyavati did not and was not involved in the affairs of the state. She had to fight for her sons survival.. So disclosing the facts about Karna would have brought her into a situation where she would have no one to turn to. Hence her fear and her silence.
Justlikethat1 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Astoria

I have a doubt.If Satyavati could acknowledge Ved Vyas as her who was born before marriage,then why couldn't Kunti accept Karna as her son.If she would have done so,then he wouldn't have been treated unfairly by everyone.Even after having read the epic thoroughly so many times,I can't understand this.

And BTW, Karna was not treated unfairly. He certainly was at a disadvantage as his antecedents were not known but he got the best teacher one could ask for and would have also got due recognition for his talents had he only been a little more humble and a little more wise about the friends he chose😊
thegameison thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
With each generation in the forward direction, the civilization goes narrower in its thinking. I deduce that from this. Further, from what I have read, Vyasa became a sage right after he was born. Karna was born a normal infant who grew normally, except the golden armor thing. Satyawati did not openly accept her son, did she? It was only when she was old and needed him to do something for her did she acknowledge him as her son. Kunti was no different. In a way, she also accepted Karna when she needed him, when she needed him to not kill his brothers in battleground.

Edited by epiphany. - 11 years ago
rasyafan thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: epiphany.

With each generation in the forward direction, the civilization goes narrower in its thinking. I deduce that from this. Further, from what I have read, Vyasa became a sage right after he was born. Karna was born a normal infant who grew normally, expect the golden armor thing. Satyawati did not openly accept her son, did she? It was only when she was old and needed him to do something for her did she acknowledge him as her son. Kunti was no different. In a way, she also accepted Karna when she needed him, when she needed him to not kill his brothers in battleground.

I was about to say the same. Rishi Parasher was asked to procreate for a child and when he asked Satyawati he also gave her a boon that after her being with him she would gain her virginity also her beauty and smell of fish will go away from her body and she will become very very attractive. and she will give birth to a great sage. Right after he went away she gave birth to Ved Vyas ji who had become an adult and left her for meditation but jate jate he said whenever you will remember me I will come to you.

And Satyawati was a queen a grown up and Kunti was a child herself a teenager when she experimented this with Surya bhagwan and to her shock a child was born from her all she could think of was to get rid of him.

Besides Satyawati gave birth to a rishi from a sage which was considered alright in those days. But she revealed this fact when she her grand son had died.

Kunti was a daughter in law and could not reveal this yes she was also a queen and a widow just like satyawati but still Satyawati was raj mata who was bold and she had a huge problem of gettign heir to the thrown.

Both situations were different both personalities different.

Edited by rasyafan - 11 years ago
486792 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Justlikethat1

Satyavati had the advantage of seeing her son become a great sage. She had the advantage of being Bhishm Pitha's step mom and Shantanu's wife.. She had the advantage of being the Rajmatha and in a lighter vein, have no Saas😆 She also had the boon of remaining a virgin inspite of being a mother to Vyasa.

Kunthi was different. She married Pandu and became the queen only to see her husband die soon after. She remained in the shadows of her BIL and was there as Pandu's wife and Pandu's wife alone. Kunthi, unlike Satyavati did not and was not involved in the affairs of the state. She had to fight for her sons survival.. So disclosing the facts about Karna would have brought her into a situation where she would have no one to turn to. Hence her fear and her silence.

Thanks a lot . Though I am new to this forum,I follow the show regularly and I am a big fan of it.Satyavati had more advantages you are right .
486792 thumbnail

Originally posted by: epiphany.

With each generation in the forward direction, the civilization goes narrower in its thinking. I deduce that from this. Further, from what I have read, Vyasa became a sage right after he was born. Karna was born a normal infant who grew normally, expect the golden armor thing. Satyawati did not openly accept her son, did she? It was only when she was old and needed him to do something for her did she acknowledge him as her son. Kunti was no different. In a way, she also accepted Karna when she needed him, when she needed him to not kill his brothers in battleground.

Yes,both Satyavati and Kunti approached their sons in times of need.However,if Kunti would have acknowledged Karna,then who knows he may not have joined Duryodhan at all.
486792 thumbnail

Originally posted by: rasyafan

I was about to say the same. Rishi Parasher was asked to procreate for a child and when he asked Satyawati he also gave her a boon that after her being with him she would gain her virginity also her beauty and smell of fish will go away from her body and she will become very very attractive. and she will give birth to a great sage. Right after he went away she gave birth to Ved Vyas ji who had become an adult and left her for meditation but jate jate he said whenever you will remember me I will come to you.

And Satyawati was a queen a grown up and Kunti was a child herself a teenager when she experimented this with Surya bhagwan and to her shock a child was born from her all she could think of was to get rid of him.

Besides Satyawati gave birth to a rishi from a sage which was considered alright in those days. But she revealed this fact when she her grand son had died.

Kunti was a daughter in law and could not reveal this yes she was also a queen and a widow just like satyawati but still Satyawati was raj mata who was bold and she had a huge problem of gettign heir to the thrown.

Both situations were different both personalities different.

All I can say that Satyavati knew how to manipulate the situation.
486792 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Justlikethat1

And BTW, Karna was not treated unfairly. He certainly was at a disadvantage as his antecedents were not known but he got the best teacher one could ask for and would have also got due recognition for his talents had he only been a little more humble and a little more wise about the friends he chose😊

Karna paid a heavy price for his friendship to Duryodhan.Yet he remains my favourite along with Lord Krishna.
Justlikethat1 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Astoria

Karna paid a heavy price for his friendship to Duryodhan.Yet he remains my favourite along with Lord Krishna.

Seeing the various interpretations of Mahabharath, one really tends to have a lot of respect for Karna. But from what is written in the actual MB, Karna, for all his good points was as bad as Duryodhana.. It was not friendship but an alliance to serve his purpose. If he had been a good friend, he would have been against a lot of things Duryodhana did. But he was an active participant in many of the acts Duryodhana did and the makers of Mahabharat have tried to show justification of it by making the Pandavas look bad when it comes to Karna..

Just my PoV.. 😳Of course, Karna did have his good points and was unlucky a number of times. But that is true for many others in MB.. Karna was no different.😊