facts about shakuni revenge was because

947708 thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago

got information about shakuni when googled i liked to share with u people.

Shakuni' has become a synonym to a person who is cunning. While reading Jaya' by Devdutt Pattnaik, I came to know the flip side of the story. The curse of Shakuni in Mahabharata is a heavy one - seeing your whole family die in front of your eyes so that you could take their revenge leaves you with no option but to do so. Many of you must know this story of Shakuni, but just wanted to share it.

One day as kids, Kauravs and Pandavs were fighting. Pandavs said to Kauravs as an insult you sons of a widow'. Not knowing the reason behind the insult as their father Dhritrashtra was still alive, Kaurav's went crying to Bhishma Pitama and complained about the Pandav's. Bhishma Pitama was left aghast, and therefore decided to look into the matter. He them came to know that Gandhari was cursed, and her first husband was ought to die and her second husband would lead a long life. Scared from what was foreseen, Gandhari's father made her marry a goat and then the goat was killed and then she was married to Dhritrashtra.

According to the Veda's, a woman's kids are always the sons of her first husband even when born from an oath, a curse, a boon or any other mortal. Therefore, the Kaurav's were the sons of a dead goat and therefore sons of a widow. This revelation made Bhishma Pitama furious and for treachery he imprisoned each member of Gandhari's family. Bhishma Pitama wanted to kill all of them but Veda's say not to kill the person who can't defend themselves and therefore Bhishma Pitama served very little food them so that they would starve to death.

Understanding this trick of Bhishma Pitama, Saubala (father of Gandhari) made a plan to save one person so that he could take revenge from the Kuru Clan for their inhumanity. Saubala chose the most intelligent from all the members imprisoned, who was the youngest brother of Gandhari named Shakuni and then they all gave their food to him so that he survives. Shakuni saw his family starve to death in front of his eyes. Saubala with a few minutes of life in him, gave his bones to Shakuni and said whenever you will play with dice made of these bones, you will never lose. Shakuni was saved being the last of Saubala's kin and also because of Gandhari's love for him.

Shakuni therefore became the reason for Kaurav's down fall, as he has spurned the whole game to send Pandav's to exile by winning the game of dice. He played the game with dice made of his father's bones therefore never lost. Wining this game and being one of the main reasons behind the war of Mahabharata, Shakuni fulfilled his destiny and took his revenge form the Kuru Clan.

No one knew Shakuni's side of the story. No one becomes a villain without any reason. It was Shakuni's curse in Mahabharata that he was destined to be remembered as a cheat for eternity.

---------------------other story-----------

The sons of Pandu and Dhritarashtra progeny break into an argument. When Duryodhana insults the Pandavas as "dependents", Bheema counters by saying that, the Kauravas are the progeny of a widow. Duryodhana asks Veda Vyasa for an explanation. He is then told that, since his mother, Gandhari had an astrological defect, she is first married of to a donkey and then married to his father. Duryodhana gains animosity towards the kingdom of Gandhara where the king, the father of his mother Gandhari, rules. He attacks Gandhara and lays waste of the whole kingdom.

He them imprisons the royal family in his prison. He gives them only one rice grain per prisoner. The king of Gandhara then stops everyone from grabbing the little food that is provided. He says that instead of everyone dying, they could keep at least one of their princes alive. He chooses Sakuni to be alive. Sakuni takes an oath that he will do everything he can to destroy the entire Kaurava clan. He makes magic dice from his father's spinal cord. The magic dice show exactly the number that he would want. Duryodhana takes pity on the lone prisoner, Sakuni after the rest of the Gandhara royal family dies in prison out of starvation. Sakuni joins the evil of coterie of Duryodhana, Karna and Dushyasana.

Edited by rockstar29 - 11 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

.Brooke. thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Thanks for this interesting piece of information.It makes sense for his actions.Even when I did not know about this part I did not blame him fully as he was furious of her sister's marriage to a blind person by showing the power of the mighty state of Hastinapur.
947708 thumbnail

Originally posted by: ...SaRun...

Thanks for this interesting piece of information.It makes sense for his actions.Even when I did not know about this part I did not blame him fully as he was furious of her sister's marriage to a blind person by showing the power of the mighty state of Hastinapur.

without a reason no one can be villain simple as that shakuni must have had a reason these stories says it all.
bhas1066 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
fine . ok. for the last time i am asking if shakuni's brothers and fathers died in prtison why are their names mentioned in the war as slain by arjun and bhima??

Then when those cavalry divisions were thinned and a remnant only survived, the Younger brothers of Suvala's son, Possessed of great wisdom, rode out, O Bharata (from the Kaurava array) to the van of battle, mounted On excellent charges that resembled the tempest itself
in both fleetness and the violence of their dash and that were well-trained and neither old nor young. Those six brothers endued with great strength, viz., Gaya, Gavaksha, Vrishava, Charmavat, Arjava, and Suka dashed out of the mighty (Kaurava) array, supported by Sakuni and by their respective forces of great valour, themselves clad in mail, skilled in battle, fierce in mien, and possessed of exceeding might. Breaking through that invincible cavalry division (of the Pandavas), O thou of mighty arms, those Gandhara warriors who could with difficulty be vanquished, supported by a large force, desirous of heaven, longing for victory, and filled with delight, penetrated into it.

Then Arjuna slew those princes and tigers among men, viz., Vrishaka and Achala, staying on one car side by side, with, O monarch, a single arrow. Sakuni also, conversant with a hundred different kinds of illusions, seeing his brothers slain, created illusions for confounding the two Krishnas.

Unable to bear the slaughter of the mighty car-warrior Satachandra, Sakuni's brothers, viz., the heroic Gavaksha and Sarabha and Bibhu, and Subhaga, and Bhanudatta, those five mighty car-warriors, rushing towards Bhimasena, attacked him with their keen shafts.

is KMG wrong or these folk derivative versions???
947708 thumbnail

Originally posted by: bhas1066

fine . ok. for the last time i am asking if shakuni's brothers and fathers died in prtison why are their names mentioned in the war as slain by arjun and bhima??

Then when those cavalry divisions were thinned and a remnant only survived, the Younger brothers of Suvala's son, Possessed of great wisdom, rode out, O Bharata (from the Kaurava array) to the van of battle, mounted On excellent charges that resembled the tempest itself
in both fleetness and the violence of their dash and that were well-trained and neither old nor young. Those six brothers endued with great strength, viz., Gaya, Gavaksha, Vrishava, Charmavat, Arjava, and Suka dashed out of the mighty (Kaurava) array, supported by Sakuni and by their respective forces of great valour, themselves clad in mail, skilled in battle, fierce in mien, and possessed of exceeding might. Breaking through that invincible cavalry division (of the Pandavas), O thou of mighty arms, those Gandhara warriors who could with difficulty be vanquished, supported by a large force, desirous of heaven, longing for victory, and filled with delight, penetrated into it.

Then Arjuna slew those princes and tigers among men, viz., Vrishaka and Achala, staying on one car side by side, with, O monarch, a single arrow. Sakuni also, conversant with a hundred different kinds of illusions, seeing his brothers slain, created illusions for confounding the two Krishnas.

Unable to bear the slaughter of the mighty car-warrior Satachandra, Sakuni's brothers, viz., the heroic Gavaksha and Sarabha and Bibhu, and Subhaga, and Bhanudatta, those five mighty car-warriors, rushing towards Bhimasena, attacked him with their keen shafts.

is KMG wrong or these folk derivative versions???

i don't know about this story it's confusing many stories on shakuni .
rasyafan thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
😲Wow I had no idea about this story thanks for this wonderful information

but I know that when there are two marriages in a girls janam patri then parents get her married to either salig ram or a tree I know this because same thing happened with my sister her first husband is a tree 🤣 and I think it is still alive and she did polygamy like draupadi she aslo has two husbands 🤣

😲 😲 OMG her children's father is a tree 🤣 I must tease them 😆😆😆😆😆
Edited by rasyafan - 11 years ago
fatssrilanka thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 9 Thumbnail + 2
Thanks for this piece of information.
sia- thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
i have known a different story as to why Shakuni hated kuru vansh

and even about the dice of bone was not Shakuni's father (as far as i know)

i will give names tomorrow

Adr_Rush thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Thanks a lot dear 😊 I never knew this side of the story 😛 And if this is true what shakuni did is also justified
rasyafan thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: shamya_for_life

Thanks a lot dear 😊 I never knew this side of the story 😛 And if this is true what shakuni did is also justified

yes dear what Shakuni did was justicfied and some say it was dhritrashtra or Duryodhan or Bheeshm but whoever did Bheeshm could have put a stop to this cruelty being the eldest or so called rajmata could have kept the respect of her sons in laws

and besides the story tells that for 22 years shakuni was kept in jail he had 100 brothers and his parents whom he saw dieing one by one of hunger as they all gave him that one grain of rice to him for him to survive and take revenge. Shakuni got fed up one day so he pleaded with Bheeshm and then only Bheeshm relented

height of cruelty 😡

I was so overwhelmed by this information that I searched for it through net and I found this and I was really shocked that how can any hero be also a villain especially when Gandhar's King did nothing wrong but followed Vedic rite and ritual.🤢😡
Edited by rasyafan - 11 years ago