Shakuni's revenge: how convincing is this story? - Page 2

Poll

Do you believe that Shakuni had revenge motives?

Poll Choice
Login To Vote

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

doyelpakhi thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago
^^ - But does Debdutt Pattnaik say that it's written in the main epic i.e. Vedvyas MAhabharat? Or does he just refer to these incidents which are part of the folklore?

Some have written that Debdutt Pattnaik mentions it as a part of folklore and Jain Mahabharat.

I am confused. Is there any link to the original book by Mr. Pattnaik?
582445 thumbnail

Originally posted by: india2050

is the true story- and also basis for shakuni's revenge-also he hated that his beloved sister had to marry a blind person!!

The version I know is Bhishma imprisoned Gandhari's parents (where they died) n made her married to Dhritarashtra .. to avenge his family n sister's marriage Shakuni took an oath of destroying Kuru bannsh .. it is said his "Pasha" was made of his parent's bone n he somehow demolished Kuru vansh with the help of it

doyelpakhi thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
^^ - but why did then Shakuni's brothers die while fighting for Duryodhan if they wanted to destroy the kurus?

Shakuni cannot be the only brother to seek revenge... If injustice was done to parents, then all the brothers should have been angry or at least Shakuni could have made them to turn them against Kuru clain.

They should have remained aloof and Shakuni was cunning enough to make an excuse for it. Even if they were forced to join the army, why did they put such a valiant fight?
582445 thumbnail

Originally posted by: doyelpakhi

^^ - but why did then Shakuni's brothers die while fighting for Duryodhan if they wanted to destroy the kurus?

Shakuni cannot be the only brother to seek revenge... If injustice was done to parents, then all the brothers should have been angry or at least Shakuni could have made them to turn them against Kuru clain.

They should have remained aloof and Shakuni was cunning enough to make an excuse for it. Even if they were forced to join the army, why did they put such a valiant fight?

as per my logic I think the intelligent he was he knew the end of the battle in fact he instigated Kurukshetra for seeking revenge .. with an identification of well wisher of Kauravas he planned the whole game .. more than his life his revenge mattered to him .. he didn't want life but revenge .. I don't know about his brothers as I knew his whole family was imprisoned n killed .. anyway even if his bros attended the battle from Kaurav's side it was for Gandhari .. think this way ... for them may be it was just about taking gandhari's sons' side .. the avenging was in Shakuni's head n on another thought may be they followed Shakuni blindly

bhas1066 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
hi

please look into the links posted below. they are extracts from the ved vyass mahabharat (eng translation by KMG):

1) http://www.india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=3743145&PID=92713414&#p92713414

2) http://www.india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=3752379&PID=92940928&#p92940928

3) http://www.india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=3737558&PID=92909065&#p92909065

1) you will find that shakuni has any problem with gandhari's marriage(it was a purely political one), in fact he is the one who gives her away at wedding.
2) moreover it also confirms shakuni's brother fighting in the war which is impossible if they all had been killed in imprisonment.