Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

chirpy_life19 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 11 years ago

Originally posted by: lovesunshine

i think yes they are men who control or rule these powerful forces of nature..

I think they are elements of nature which are worshipped in various forms.😊
413226 thumbnail

if kunti bore karna the natural way it is amazing thatshe could hide her pregnancy all those months!

lovesunshine thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: peridot.

if kunti bore karna the natural way it is amazing thatshe could hide her pregnancy all those months!

hmm yes but then time taken by satyavati to give birth to ved vyas only a journey to and fro form the banks of the river..
413226 thumbnail

Originally posted by: lovesunshine

hmm yes but then time taken by satyavati to give birth to ved vyas only a journey to and fro form the banks of the river..

that too a fully grown and learned son 😛
shrutiud thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
is it just me o tht niyog thing is just ewww...gross...
chirpy_life19 thumbnail

"The eldest of Kunti's children was called Yudhishthira, the second Bhimasena, and the third Arjuna, and of Madri's sons, the first-born of the twins was called Nakula and the next Sahadeva.And those foremost sons born at an interval of one year after one another, looked like an embodied period of five years."

I think such cases hardly exist!🤔

Edited by Cool-n-Fresh - 11 years ago
chirpy_life19 thumbnail

Another interesting piece...

"Then the handsome Kunti was united with the god of justice
in his spiritual form and obtained from him a son devoted to the good of all creatures."

Spiritual Form is related to spirit/soul.It is quite opposite to material/physical form!

Clearly Spiritual Form is unworldly and is related to mind!😊
Edited by Cool-n-Fresh - 11 years ago
sjnp thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
I really appreciate how you write the exact translations from MB to clarify points. Thank you!

Yes it was a physical union because the mantra was just to invite the dev and not present a son without any act. Kunti was curious teenager when she was first given that mantra by Durvasa (who was pleased with her arrangements and demeanor when he visited her foster father's palace) and to assuage her immature curiosity, she invoked Surya dev. Now, he was bound by the mantra to sleep with her and give her a son who would be equivalent to him.

After this, Kunti goes away with her trusted old daasi when the signs of her pregnancy appear and gives birth in secrecy and puts the baby in a 'Moses basket' in the river, which is later found by the saarthi Adiratha and his wife Radha.

Three points are very interesting -

1) Satyavati, as a fisherwoman, and from an earlier generation, had the freedom to have a son before marriage openly while Kunti, as a princess and esp. one who has given by her biological father to her foster father, had to fear society and hides her son she had before marriage. She doesnt even disclose this when her husband Pandu asks her (when he is so desperate for a son because he cannot enter the heavens unless he has one), when she sees him for the first time as an adult in the princes' tournament and when on the eve of the Kurukshetra.

2) Kunti was the string that held the pearls (i.e. five Pandavas) together and their having their separate households and lives would reduce (and maybe even totally nullify) their unity. Together, they are one powerful and almost perfect entity but individually, they are just above average strong wise beings. Their strength comes from their unity. in a man's life, mother plays a key rolein his childhood and this role is replaced by a wife in his adulthood. She introduces a second string Draupadi (intentionally or otherwise!) to continue to hold her pearls together after her. She becomes the reason for Draupad's polyandry and this results in her being insulted after the first dice game.

3) Kunti and Draupadi have known to be intimate with five men. Kunti hides the first one and accepts four for the fear of being called a 'harlot'.

Originally posted by: varaali

Charizard and others,

Regarding the niyoga performed by Kunti:

The mantra given by Sage Durvasa to Kunti was only to summon the God. For procreation, they had to resort to usual human methods.

MB clearly mentions that there was a physical union b/w Kunti and Dharma , Vayu and Indra .

How can we be sure that Kunti was united physically with the Gods?

When Pandu requests here to have one more child after Arjuna she says:

"The celebrated Pandu, tempted by the desire of having more children wished to speak again unto his wedded wife (for invoking some other god). But Kunti addressed him, saying, 'The wise do not sanction a fourth delivery even in a season of distress. The woman having intercourse with four different men is called a Swairini (heanton), while she having intercourse with five becometh a harlot. Therefore, O learned one, as thou art well-acquainted with the scripture on this subject, why dost thou, beguiled by desire of offspring, tell me so in seeming forgetfulness of the ordinance?'

Koeli thumbnail

Originally posted by: sonanai

Somethings are beyond explanation, and beyond a normal Human Being imaginations...The answer of your question is that May be or May be not...

Whatever it is but I do not feel wrong it if the rules are strictly followed and if there is agreement of all the parties with purity of thoughts...ie Husband, Wife, the third Man, the in laws, the other familes etc...

But there is always a but...We Human beings who are full of selfishness, shrewdness, shamefullness, hypocrits...cannot and should not practice such inhuman, unsocial act...For us this is full of impurity and ends with societal shame...

That is why there is difference in the Yugs and laws of the same...We are in Kalyug and we are all mixture of good and evil...Not even a single person whosoever is in this Yug can call himself Good as Evil will follow them...

Now comming to the point of Niyog, this was practice done in earlier Yugs and the Dharm was made in earlier yug with a viewpoint that people will follow all the rules and will do something as per Dharma...and for these things Rishi munis were there who used to do this job...As this can be practiced without passion by Yogis not by Bhogis...

People will laugh at it and will say what yogis or bhogis got to do with passion... But this is true who performs perfect yog is free of desires and thus mere passion does not come into existence...Nowdays no Yogis are born only Bhogis exist...😊

see this practice is done today was well but in a much sophisticated way. Sperm donation is widely practiced all over the world and the awareness in india as just started. The only difference is the man and the woman doesnot need to be physically involved now a days because we have sperm banks. but during those days they were technology challenged. coming to yugas well i have to say that they were much more organized and civil than we are... they used to practice 4 stages of life (bramhacharya, garhastya, banprasthya and sanyas) loyally. so i wont be surprised if the niyog system was strictly followed.

TM a very good post