Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

thegameison thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 11 years ago

Originally posted by: .Vrish.

At that time, rising above it was impossible: it was a patriarchal society, and the only role of women was to get married and give birth: if they couldn't, they were considered a burden on their family, and if they just left and went out on their own, they were 'fair game'. Hence the obsession in those times w/ marriage. If Amba wasn't gonna marry, what else was she gonna do? It's not like she could have been a Rani Durgavati, or a guru in an ashram, or anything like it.

Amba could have risen above it had there been a second chance - had she been capable of finding a man willing to marry her (like Krishna w/ Narakasura's 16,100 concubines): she'd have forgotten Shalva, forgiven Bheeshma and happily married him. But that was not an option - having been abducted once by Krishna, her status at the time was like that of a woman who's either already consummated or given birth. So the one acceptable thing in society that she could do was shut off for her forever. Her sisters took the easy option - just marry the loser king, and became widowed after 7 years w/o sons, and had to undergo niyoga births. I'd say Amba was the one better off, but that's not the way society was.

Or else, had society been such that women who did not marry weren't considered losers or burdens, Amba would probably have done fine - she certainly had grit & determination. It's also tragic that she couldn't marry - either as Shalva's or Bheeshma's wife, she'd probably have had powerful sons who would have held their own against all odds. Sorta like the Pandavas.

It was a patriarchal society. If it weren't, none of it would have happened. There must have been another way to find her dignity again, even if it meant that she had to go in the woods and meditate or something. I'm not saying it were easy. It really was considered a career in itself, life's goal or something to marry and give birth to princes who'd become big shot kings. 😳 I only believe that one still always has a choice. Her sisters chose to be Vichitravirya's wives. There wasn't any dignity in it. She chose to die of the injustice of it all and get her revenge in another life. It's just what she chose. She could have chose different is what I am saying. She didn't, so, I dun see how I can win this argument, though. 😆
Vr15h thumbnail
IPL 2024 Participants 2 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
It's not exactly about winning an argument, but I'll grant one thing here. Amba, after Parashurama's defeat, did tapasya to Mahadev, asked that she be the cause of Bheeshma's death, and after Shiva told her that it would happen only in her future birth, ended her life then & there.

The only thing she could have done different - would be just do tapasya to Mahadev w/ no expectations or goals, and be granted something like being born as a wife of one of the ganas. Or, like she ultimately did, just enter the fire and end her life. Either of these options would have been non-vindictive, although I'm not sure that there would have been any regrets from Bheeshma's end.

I'd say that Amba did a whole lot of good by her confrontation, and the evidence is there is how Bheeshma approached the marriage topic for subsequent generations. Whereas for AAA, he had used force in getting what he wanted and coming to grief, he approached it differently for Dhritarashtra & Pandu than he did for Vichitravirya. In the case of Gandhari, he politely approached Subala for her hand for Dhritarashtra, and Subala did have the right to decline, although he didn't. Similarly for Madri, he approached Shalya, gave him the bride price that he wanted and took Madri along to Pandu. It's likely that had Amba not confronted him, he would have simply invaded Gandhara & Madra & abducted Gandhari & Madri and forcefully taken them to Hastinapur. So Amba does seem to have reformed Bheeshma's subsequent behavior.

So having brought about this change in Bheeshma, it's fair to disagree on whether Amba should have persisted w/ wanting him dead. I happen to think that regardless of what he did right subsequently, Bheeshma never could fix the damage he had done to Amba, and so she was entitled to justice, or revenge, however one wishes to look at it.
Shaina_b thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Bhishma had not learnt his lesson!!!!!
He did force Gandhari's hand in marriage to Dhritarashtra by starving her brothers!!!!!
bhas1066 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Bhishma had not learnt his lesson!!!!!
He did force Gandhari's hand in marriage to Dhritarashtra by starving her brothers!!!!!
[/QUOTE

oh! really! could you please also tell the literary source of shakuni and his brothers imprisonment?

"Vaisampayana continued, 'Soon after Bhishma heard from the Brahmanas that Gandhari, the amiable daughter of Suvala, having worshipped Hara (Siva) had obtained from the deity the boon that she should have a century of sons. Bhishma, the grandfather of the Kurus, having heard this, sent messengers unto the king of Gandhara. King Suvala at first hesitated on account of the blindness of the bridegroom, but taking into consideration the blood of the Kurus, their fame and behaviour, he gave his virtuous daughter unto Dhritarashtra and the chaste Gandhari hearing that Dhritarashtra was blind and that her parents had consented to marry her to him, from love and respect for her future husband, blindfolded her own eyes.Sakuni, the son of Suvala, bringing unto the Kurus his sister endued with youth and beauty, formally gave her away unto Dhritarashtra. And Gandhari was received with great respect and the nuptials were celebrated with great pomp under Bhishma's directions. And the heroic Sakuni, after having bestowed his sister along with many valuable robes, and having received Bhishma's adorations, returned to his own city. And, O thou of Bharata's race, the beautiful Gandhari gratified all the Kurus by her behaviour and respectful attentions. And Gandhari, ever devoted to her husband, gratified her superiors by her good conduct; and as she was chaste, she never referred even by words to men other than her husband or such superiors.'"

Moumimon thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Bang on post dear..👏

actually i can't able to decide who is wrong here actually...😕
as episode shown both Bheeshm and Amba is right in their own place..
Bheeshm was wrong about showing his strongest move..
And Amba was also right when she was questioned him..
then i loved how Bheeshm give her ans too..
and then the lover of Amba salv he was at fault also how dare he says women a thing yrr...
But then after listening Amba's move is really acceptable, i don't think her char is a negative one...she desurve all happiness, anyone win her and another one reject her that not mean her life end their...
and then the convo on Mandap i liked both...
so i can't decide one...

But i can't dicide one that's not mean Amba in wrong here...
Amba is a strongest character of women in Mahabharat..
she spoke for her, asking for justice..
and asking for justice i don't think it's a wrong move...
everyone deserve justice men or women
men are strong that not means women doesn't deserve justice...
and i think Amba gives those egoistic men a tight slap on their faces by taking such move...
she is not wrong at all...

__moumi__

Edited by Moumimon - 11 years ago
413226 thumbnail
A question arises. Why couldn't have amba married Vichi like her sisters when Shalva refused to marry her. True that bheeshma took her away forcibly but it was for Vichi. So why the insistence on her part that bheeshma himself should marry her even afterv he explained that he was under oath not to marry? If she could accept shalva's refusal why couldn't she accept bheeshma's. Once her intended fianc refused to marry her would it really make a difference to her if she married Vichi instead who was king of hastinapur? I mean why the stubbornness of getting Bheeshma a known brahmachary to marry her?
413226 thumbnail

Originally posted by: bhas1066

Hmmm... shakuni did not seem to have any probs at this point!

Word Count: 0

bhas1066 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: peridot.

A question arises. Why couldn't have amba married Vichi like her sisters when Shalva refused to marry her. True that bheeshma took her away forcibly but it was for Vichi. So why the insistence on her part that bheeshma himself should marry her even afterv he explained that he was under oath not to marry? If she could accept shalva's refusal why couldn't she accept bheeshma's. Once her intended fianc refused to marry her would it really make a difference to her if she married Vichi instead who was king of hastinapur? I mean why the stubbornness of getting Bheeshma a known brahmachary to marry her?

amba came back to marry vichitravirya only but he refused saying she loved another man so he wont accept her. then she goes to the sages for council who conclude its bhisma fault and he should marry her.
413226 thumbnail

Originally posted by: bhas1066

amba came back to marry vichitravirya only but he refused saying she loved another man so he wont accept her. then she goes to the sages for council who conclude its bhisma fault and he should marry her.

That vichi was an idiot really 😡 First he couldn't fight for his own bride and then all these nakhras 😲
That's what happens when we have incompetent persons in top positions I guess
.Reshama. thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
Poor woman got only justice in her next life as a man..it would been better if she got her revengein her previous life as amba.

Well saty...orderded to take the princesses for her only son. Where were her brains ..Bhisma was a brahmacharya so he had no business to be in a swayambar ..if he had to kidnap the princesses it shows that his younger brother wasnt capable person at all..It us very easy to order and depend on bhisma while satya... son couldnt do the job.

Kashi king was at right..not to invite hastinapur suiters..Honestly who wants to get her daughter married to a person who always need help from a stronger person and was sick person too.

Edited by .Reshama. - 11 years ago