Amba - A woman Scorned or A woman Wronged!!

-Srushti- thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Engager 4 Thumbnail + 7
Posted: 11 years ago
Mein aa gai😛
With a truly feminist point of view of mine...so if members find I am trying to justify a negative character, well ...May be,,,but the normal rules of a thread do still apply. No bashing, no attacking the actor or character😆

The best thing about Mahabharat, that it is the most advanced of literature!!!
The society is more accepting to certain rituals/events then it is today!!
Unlike, the scriptures where woman are supposed to be sacrificing or be "in control" when men knew no bounds.. Mahabharat is bold, forward, realistic and more egalitarian than any other!! And the whole scripture is full of such women...and today I am on Amba...one such woman!!!!
Although I am no fan of Ratan...(God bless her😆) but her announcement as Amba.."Byaah mein Purush Bhikshuk hota hai, usey Kanya ka daan milta hai!!"
I was absolutely spell bound..What a thought!! I dont think, in the male dominated society ...Where woman are blamed for being the victim...we ever gave this a thought1! We always says that Kanyadaan is the biggest of all Daan!! that a man can attain moksha only after he gives Kanyadaan!!! That he is then considered to be free of all his debts!! but we never thought about the who receives that daan!! The man! The groom!! He receives his wife in a daan by her progenitor!!!

The way she says that beggars are no choosers!! It is SHE the WOMAN who has to have a choice!! And it is her choice..that if she did not get the one she chose, she would have the one who deprived her of her choice!!

In here I would like to say something...on Amba...we see her as the avenging devil...but we forget that SHE was a woman of passion!! Unlike Satyavati (As she is shown here) who calculated her choice and married Shantanu for her ambition..Amba chose love, and then her self respect as her priority...she REFUSED Satyavati her offer to marry Vichitravirya!!
Such a grand difference between the two...One was the reason behind the birth of "Bhishma" as in Devavrat's promise to Satyavati let to Devavrata turn into "Bhishma" and the Amba became the end of him!!!
She ANNOUNCED that she would go to every king and get a marathon army and attack Hastinapur!! She had the guts which no other MALE king had !!
Is it a wonder why she took births after births to be a MAN!!! The only reason she...a princess was rejected, dejected and left to nothing was that SHE was not a man!!! She was deprived of her choice of her suitor because a man thought he could win her for her brother...then the suitor rejects her because his ego is too big to take a woman who has been left back by the man who defeated him!! she could not avenge herself because she was a woman!!
But she refuses to compromise..refuses to settle for wealth ...refuses to settle for a Kingdom...she wants what she wants...and it is therefore she went into HISTORY! In a history filled with male valour, she made her mark...she killed a man who had a death on wish boon...the man who was undefeatable!!! And she helped a man who was considered to be the best of warriors in his time to conquer this undefeatable man!!! She came out in the battlefield out and brash!!! Played right and diPrty and avenged herself...the death ..the insults...the loss of love and life that she had gone through...finally over!!!

Edited by -Srushti- - 11 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

fatssrilanka thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 9 Thumbnail + 2
Lovely post. I felt sorry when the suitor refused to accept her. But,admire her courage to get her rights from Bhishma. Loved today's episode.
timepass thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
that dialogue of Amba was really a masterstroke👍🏼.
So far this MB has been a visual treat and capabale actors who are portraying the character so well...and finally we saw Parasuraam played by the same man who played Duryodhan in BR Chopra's MB. He still has the voice and physique that characterized Duryodhan .

Bheeshm is really good. I love his booming voice
-Srushti- thumbnail

Originally posted by: fatssrilanka

Lovely post. I felt sorry when the suitor refused to accept her. But,admire her courage to get her rights from Bhishma. Loved today's episode.

True I liked how she refused to sit in a corner and cry the eternal kahaani of being a woman and blah blah!! She stood strong and challenged the high and mighty..without a regret, without fear!!

@Charizard...It was just a precautionary disclaimer for members who find her negative character...As I said...I am all for hailing woman power😆

LadyMacbeth thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 5
I really loved the excellent chemistry between this Amba n Vhishma today .
Their conversation n eyelock was sizzling hawwt ☺️

Btw , excellent post n agree with you .
-Srushti- thumbnail

Originally posted by: timepass

that dialogue of Amba was really a masterstroke👍🏼.

So far this MB has been a visual treat and capabale actors who are portraying the character so well...and finally we saw Parasuraam played by the same man who played Duryodhan in BR Chopra's MB. He still has the voice and physique that characterized Duryodhan .

Bheeshm is really good. I love his booming voice

Puneet Issar is a professional body builder/trainer...He did and still has amazing physique!!

About the acting I still have complaints..but one thing this MB stands out is that it has tried to break the shackles of the BRC version...they did not show Satyavati as the truly loving woman and made her father the woman who had extracted the vow from Bhishma...in here they showed her as the go getting woman...and how both powerful man of that age...shantanu and Bhishma bending on her whims..although for different reasons..
And it is equally surprising ..that this woman... gave birth to Ved Vyasa..but when she conceived on the basis of greed and power..gives birth to Vichitravarya...a weakling!!!
.Reshama. thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
I agree with u..and yes she has been wronged by bhisma. In my upinion she is one of the first feminist in acient times..like draupadi..

kaatayani thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Amba.. she is a woman in her own league... all for self respect..

the kanya daan dialogue was really killer..

this is the thing tht I liked in the women of Mahabharat times.. they knew their choices and priorities..!! and never did any shilly shallying on the vague notion of Maryada..
Vr15h thumbnail
IPL 2024 Participants 2 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Shrusti, fantastic thread 👍🏼 Although the serial did its best to vilify people whose interests clashed w/ Bheeshma's - Satyavati's, Amba's, it's great that people have seen through it and sympathize w/ Amba. Too often, people are wowed by Bheeshma's charisma and gloss over the wrong he did to Amba.

In the original story, Amba became a river after her death, and due to her desire for justice from Bheeshma, Ganga cursed her that she'd be inaccessible to people for purposes like ritualistic bathing. Biggest enemy of women being other women. Despite this, she did tapasya and got a boon from Mahadev (another opportunity to show Mohit!) and went through a few births before she ended up as Shikhandi.

It would have been even more fitting had Shikhandi, rather than Arjun, been able to down Bheeshma.
FantasyFan_8 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
While I am not watching this show, I truly appreciate your post as well as the story of Mahabharata. I feel that Mahabharata was all about strong women characters who did not bow down to the injustice met out to them, rather fought them themselves or manipulated the men around them to fight for their honour and revenge. I would also like to mention an act by Krishna himself which men and even some women of today need to learn. Krishna is often criticized for marrying 16000 girls, but in reality he married them to give them the right to live with dignity and respect which they deserved but were declined just because a demon had kidnapped them. We can so relate this to present society which discriminates against a woman who has been a victim of crimes done by men. By marrying those girls, Krishna sent the message that these women were victims and not culprits and so these should not be shunned by the society. But sadly, even today our society looks down upon the woman who has been wronged rather than the man who wrongs that woman