Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

imnowhere thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago
Well I agree Bheeshma was one of the prime reasons. But did he actually abduct the princesses or begged their hands for Vichitravirya? If hadn't listened to anyone then definitely he is the culprit, and if not then Amba definitely had the chance to speak out that she had already chosen Prince of Shalva.
One more point here is to question the willingness of the princesses and their father, did they give their consent or was there anything else.
One more question arising here is that if the swayamvar was not set with the concept of winning the princesses through their heroism then how could amba be declared as 'conquered' by the Prince of Shalva?
Apart from this, what did Amba actually do to confront the Prince of Shalva? Was he not her culprit?
rimi10 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Going by the original story line its definitely Bheeshma to be blamed. But again, it was not as if he did it for himself. He was left with no choice here, as Satyavati compelled him to do so (kind of emotional blackmail). He was considerate enough after he heard Amba dilemma.
Again Prince Shalva was no where at fault. In those days honour, pride and valour were given higher priority than anything else in life. He did what he needed to do to save his face after losing to Bheeshma.
So basically Satyavati and her blind love for her incompetent and good for nothing son, is indirectly at fault here and rest was niyati.
Edited by rimi10 - 11 years ago
Vr15h thumbnail
IPL 2024 Participants 2 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Actually, Satyavati told him nothing of the sort. He invaded Kashi on his own whims. What they showed last night was just part of their template of re-casting both Satyavati & Amba as vamps.
chirpy_life19 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Vows are kept for promoting righteousness and truth.But troubling innocents to keep your word is unrighteous and a great fault than not keeping your word!!!
vini17 thumbnail
I think it was meant to be like that so that Bheeshma will have weakness in kurukshetra else it would have been impossible to win against him for pandavas. Like many other things, this incident was also meant for fall of kauravas/evil!
anuandavi thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4
Sometimes I think that the while Mahabharata was because of Satyavati. Whatever happened was simply to fulfill her wishes.
angelic8219 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Wasn't bhisma a brahmachari? Wasn't it against his own rules to abduct the princesses in the first place even if it was for his step brother?
413226 thumbnail

Originally posted by: bhas1066

hi
though bhishma justifies his descision to kidnap the princesses , because it was a swayam var , all the kings and princes present there fight him but are unable to defeat him.

Kings, however, speak highly of the Swyamvara (the fifth form as above) and themselves wed according to it. But the sages have said that, that wife is dearly to be prized who is taken away by force, after the slaughter of opponents, from amidst the concourse of princes and kings invited to a self-choice ceremony. Therefore, ye monarchs, I bear away these maidens hence by force. Strive ye, to the best of your might, to vanquish me or to be vanquished.

so it seems that in those days kidnapping from a swayamvara was considered acceptable.

though it seems totally barbaric in present mindset.

@ Bolded- Yes I quite agree with it. We cannot judge what took place hundreds of years ago in the context of present mindset. If the people in Mahabharata could time travel and see today's incidents they may find a lot of things quite shocking and immoral, who knows!😊 We have to keep in mind the prevalent customs in those times. keeping promises was considered the honourable thing to do. A woman's emotions and feelings were less important than a king's pride
413226 thumbnail

Originally posted by: angelic8219

Wasn't bhisma a brahmachari? Wasn't it against his own rules to abduct the princesses in the first place even if it was for his step brother?

As long as he was pure in his thoughts and did not lust for a woman I think his brahmacharya was retained. He would be seen as doing his stately duties of catering to the monarch of the land *sad though*
avyarima thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Beeshma was a wonderful and great character. But he love for his stupid family is the main reason for all the bad this in story.
First his love for his dad...made him choose his father's happiness instead of what is right by rejecting the thrown.

his love for this stepmom made him never marry and kept accepting her orders. ...because we all know that in the olden day she really had no right to force him out of his own fathers kingdom like she threatened to do.. he is the first son and she is just a second wife after his mother. she cant do anything to him. more over with the kind of powers he had, no army can force him out.

His love for his brother is the reason his brother is a weak man. someone had to go look for a wife for him while he just drinks and create trouble like a fool.

Amba has all the right to be angry and Prince Shalva only did what was right for his own kingdom and name which was the most important thing back in the day.

So Beshma's kindness is the cause of all this mess. but i feel really bad for him because his intentions were really good.