Who was responsible for Amba's miseries?

imnowhere thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago
Yes, the story proceeds with deviations from the original epic. And skipping elaborate details of a number of events with a 25 year leap slated for the second episode!! Characterization of Amba as shown in the initial scenes were not liked by many of us. Nevertheless the show is proceeding with a great potential. And I still have high hopes.

Ok lets come to the point. Who was actually to blame for Amba's miseries?
Bheeshma...who won the princess in the swayamvar without knowing any details?
Prince of Salva...who refused to accept her saying she was a conquered object and forgetting all about love?
King of Kashi...who never knew his daughter's heart?
Or Amba herself...having chosen a person already as her husband still participated in the swayamvar but never showed the guts to tell about her relationship to her father?
Edited by mridula.shome - 11 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

mnx12 thumbnail
Amba was a strong woman. She thought, can get things the way she wants. Her father wasn't aware of her liking Shalva. But she was meeting him that means he had given her enough independance.
After Shalva's rejection, she had to fight for her dignity. Bhishma unknowingly was the reason for her problems. She was actually fighting for her self esteem, badly hurt by whatever happened during the Swayamvar & after that. She has strength to fight for her right, which is going to turn into revenge later on.
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
I don't think it's Amba's fault. She never revealed her heart to her father because Shalva was participating in the swayamvar. She thought she could still marry him since the swayamvar was by choice. No one anticipated Bhishma's untimely arrival. 😔
I would blame both Shalva and Bhishma! Shalva was an idiot for forgoing Amba just because Bhishma defeated him. Clearly he gave more importance to his manly pride than love.
As for Bhishma, kidnapping the three princesses was one of the biggest misdemeanors he committed. He had no right to ruin the lives of three innocent women just to fulfill the orders of his stepmother. If Vichitravirya really wanted to marry the princesses, he should have gone himself to the swayamvar, and if he was not strong enough to defeat everyone, he should not have desired the Kashi princesses.
Amba is the biggest victim in all this. Her anger and desire for revenge are totally understandable.
ShahZur thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
i will be a silent reader as i am not good with names
-Alinaa- thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Satyabati. She felt her son is not eligible to win Swayambar, so sent Bhisma as the proxy, which is basically cheating.
Edited by -Alinaa- - 11 years ago
Vr15h thumbnail
IPL 2024 Participants 2 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: mridula.shome

Yes, the story proceeds with deviations from the original epic. And skipping elaborate details of a number of events with a 25 year leap slated for the second episode!! Characterization of Amba as shown in the initial scenes were not liked by many of us. Nevertheless the show is proceeding with a great potential. And I still have high hopes.

Ok lets come to the point. Who was actually to blame for Amba's miseries?
Bheeshma...who won the princess in the swayamvar without knowing any details?
Prince of Salva...who refused to accept her saying she was a conquered object and forgetting all about love?
King of Kashi...who never knew his daughter's heart?
Or Amba herself...having chosen a person already as her husband still participated in the swayamvar but never showed the guts to tell about her relationship to her father?

Bheeshma, Bheeshma, Bheeshma, Bheeshma & Bheeshma!!! No one else. There was only one douchebag in this whole sordid incident, and it was Bheeshma!!!

Shalva did everything according to the norms - yeah, he may have been in love w/ Amba, but he did it the right way - attended her swayamvara and fought to defend her. Once he lost, as per kshatriya norms, there was no way he could accept her w/o looking like someone who accepted alms from another - unthinkable for either a king or a kshatriya.

Amba's father did what was customary - held a swayamvara. It was not a violation of Amba's wishes - Shalva too was an invited guest, and Amba would have chosen him from the visitors, and that would have been perfectly legit.

And Amba - blaming her for her misfortunes is like those douchebags who blame rape victims for being raped. Amba had no fault, contrary to the crop burning scenes shown Tuesday, and all she wanted to do was be at her own swayamvara, choose the king that she loved as her husband and marry him. Something that simple, and the pride of that egotistic dynasty called the Kurus had to come in the way. 😡

No, there was only one douchebag in all of this, and it was Gangaputra Bheeshma!!! Ganga should have been ashamed of him, instead of cursing Amba the river of taking courses that would make it impossible for people to bathe.
NandiniRaizadaa thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
It was bheeshma who ultimately paid for it
Amba became the cause of his death so going by karma theory bheeshma was to blame though his motives were not evil

But I guess shalva naresh was an idiot. What kind of love he had for Amba then
Vr15h thumbnail
IPL 2024 Participants 2 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Shalva was not an idiot. It was against the Kshatriya code of conduct to take charity, and having lost Amba in battle, had he accepted her, he would have owed that fact to Bheeshma, and his subjects would have lost their respect for him. He really had no option.
Bheeshma was the evil one in this - whatever his intentions. He got what he deserved in Kurukshetra - and less.
pesi11 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: Nandiniraizaada

It was bheeshma who ultimately paid for it

Amba became the cause of his death so going by karma theory bheeshma was to blame though his motives were not evil

But I guess shalva naresh was an idiot. What kind of love he had for Amba then

@bold

he might had paid for it...but when !! after ages passed !! ...

i like bheeshma as a person. but in amba's case , he was the culprit. poor amba had fought all the possible ways that she could. so that her pride vl be saved. but eventually ended up commiting suicide or sacrificing her body .. she went thru somany before that self dismiss .. she requested parashuram..she was cursed by ganga. finally she worshipped shiva and bough the vardaan that she needs... this took ages to happen.

neither bheeshma would have come to swayamwar n spoil nor amba would had faced such a horrible miseries in her life
bhas1066 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
hi
though bhishma justifies his descision to kidnap the princesses , because it was a swayam var , all the kings and princes present there fight him but are unable to defeat him.

Kings, however, speak highly of the Swyamvara (the fifth form as above) and themselves wed according to it. But the sages have said that, that wife is dearly to be prized who is taken away by force, after the slaughter of opponents, from amidst the concourse of princes and kings invited to a self-choice ceremony. Therefore, ye monarchs, I bear away these maidens hence by force. Strive ye, to the best of your might, to vanquish me or to be vanquished.

so it seems that in those days kidnapping from a swayamvara was considered acceptable.

though it seems totally barbaric in present mindset.

Edited by bhas1066 - 11 years ago