How would history have changed if...

MagadhSundari thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 11 years ago
Bhishma would have married Amba?

I have wondered about this since Ekta's Mahabharat (yes, I watched it and survived, eyes and brain cells intact *shocker*), in its one and only well presented track, helped me realize that Amba was not just a thorn in Bhishma's side, but a living, breathing person herself. It was truly tragic, the way her innocent young romance culminated in abduction and then being passed back and forth between men who rejected her. Of course she's not entirely innocent, but then hardly anyone in the Mahabharat was, and that doesn't make her misfortune any less unfortunate.

Bhishma, as we know, was bound by his promise, but then so was Shri Krishna's father Vasudev when he asked Kans to spare Devaki in exchange for all of his newborns. When he got direct orders from God himself to put aside that promise and take his 8th son to safety, he reassessed his priorities and picked the higher dharma, and obviously that turned out well for everyone because the world got Krishna. I personally think that in the Bhishma-Shaalva-Amba situation, Bhishma would've been choosing the higher dharma in accepting Amba, because he'd be putting an innocent woman's honor and happiness (which he himself had a hand in ruining, so he was responsible for restoring) above his own fame and glory. It wouldn't interfere with Satyavati's father's (or in the case of this show, Satyavati's own) wishes because as far as we know, Amba had no ambitions for the throne, she just craved someone's love and acceptance having been scorned so openly.

So what I'd like to put forth as a topic of discussion is a) do you agree or disagree with the above, and b) if you agree, would the union of Bhishma and Amba have made any difference in Hastinapur's fate? Would their having children still possibly create an issue with the succession of the throne? If not, would Amba be able to boost up Bhishma's conscience and make him break his silence on Dhritrashtra's failings as a king? Or would every single thing except Bhishma's marital status remain the same?

Your thoughts and respectful speculation are welcome, and if we have fun with this topic, hopefully this "how would history have changed if..." could become a routine thing, like every week possibly, since there are so many pivotal moments in the Mahabharat where if someone made a different decision, it could've altered the course of the entire epic.
Edited by lola610 - 11 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Bhavaani thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 3
First of all Jethaniji you deserve a Veerta Award for surviving Ekta's Mahabharat. Please leave your contact details with us and it will be on its way 😉

Yes I have to agree with you here, a lot of people forget Amba was most likely around 14, fresh in love with Shalva and then before you can say swayamvar she has been abducted by a strange man to a foreign land. Neither her father nor her lover did anything/were able to do anything about it. For Kasi and Shalva naresh it's kissa khatam, bye bye Amba. Whereas we women know that's not how the heart works!

Fast forward to Amba holding Bhishma responsible and Parshuram ordering Bhishma to marry Amba (I don't think Bhishma would have given in so easily, so I've added in his fight with Parshuram here) Let's assume he gave in and they got married...what happens next?

Ok well Vichitraveerya dies without any heirs. No need for Satyavti to disclose her previous indiscretions and no need for Ved Vyas. Bhishma will sire the future king. So then would any of the later horrific incidents have happened? Would Bhishma's children have been as respectful as him? Or was Hastinapur destiny made of stronger stuff?
What ifs aside,if we place Amba by Bhishma's side keeping everything else the same, what then? Amba might have dissuading Bhishma from marrying Dhritrashta to Ghandhari.Would she have taken greater responsibility over Duryodhan and kept him away from Shakuni?
As a woman I'd like to believe she would have made Bhishma see sense, that his vow wasn't bigger than the truth and doing the right thing. The cynic in me doesn't believe it would have been possible :|

Really liked your comparison between Bhishma and Vasudev. Vasudev was in a totally different league...this being the man Narayan himself had chosen to be born from. Bhishma was living a cursed life before he was even in his mother's womb.

Edited by Bhavaani - 11 years ago
thegameison thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
The Bhishma and Amba angle was indeed a good one in Kekta's MB. I liked it because Ronit Roy was great as Bhishma and Rakshanda Khan was no less. Their depiction of Amba's suffering was very effective. I, for one felt very disgusted with Bhishma in his disability to accept Amba. He'd have been a true Kshatriya in standing up for her and making amends. But the whole akhand pratigya thing made him helpless. Had it not been the way it was and should he have accepted and married Amba, things would have been very different. Their son would have taken the bloodline ahead. There would not have been the need for Pandu and Dhritrashtra to be born. Consequently, no Pandavas and Kauravas would have been there to fight a war.

Kankshita

MagadhSundari thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Thanks for the insightful responses guys =D (and Devraniji I do have an award in mind, contact details soon to follow :P)

res...
chirpy_life19 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Nice topic Loladi!!

First of all I dont understand why Amba sat in the Swayamvar if she loved that Salva King very much?She must have approached her father regarding this and get her marriage fixed with him.Swayamvar is an open contest where you select the suitable from many.But when you have already fixed someone in your mind there is no sense in participating in the ceremony.And Bheeshma lost his vow according to me!!A swayamvar is organized to chose the groom but not groom's Father or Brother.The groom's strength,Valour&eligibilty count,not that of his relatives.The prize belongs to the one who won the contest.Whatever he might do with it donate it or keep it,he bears the title.And CLEARLY in this context the winner is the FIANCEE!The king formally announces before the ceremony that those who are willing to take his daughter's hand i.e; are ready for marriage must come forward.Bheeshma must have informed this to Satyavathi when she pressed him to go and win the Kashi princess for her sons coz this will be a hitch to his 'Oath'.

Coming to the point I agree with what you said!I feel if Bheeshma had married Amba then Satyavathi herself would have chosen their son as the heir of Hastinapur after the death of her own sons.Most likely there would have been no Dhritarashtra & Pandu.We know that she requested Bheeshma to marry Ambika & Ambalika and bring forth a heir.All this effort was made as Bhishma had no partner!But what if he was married?Anyhow considering the existence of Dhritarashtra & Pandu Ambika would definitely have had her control on the events happening in her family(atleast on those concerned with her daughter-in-Law Gandhari😆 ).Being the eldest as well as a strong and determined person she would have changed the entire scenario of Kuru family.

Edited by Cool-n-Fresh - 11 years ago
413226 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Cool-n-Fresh

Nice topic Loladi!!

First of all I dont understand why Amba sat in the Swayamvar if she loved that Salva King very much?She must have approached her father regarding this and get her marriage fixed with him.Swayamvar is an open contest where you select the suitable from many.But when you have already fixed someone in your mind there is no sense in participating in the ceremony.And Bheeshma lost his vow according to me!!A swayamvar is organized to chose the groom but not groom's Father or Brother.The groom's strength,Valour&eligibilty count,not that of his relatives.The prize belongs to the one who won the contest.Whatever he might do with it donate it or keep it,he bears the title.And CLEARLY in this context the winner is the FIANCEE!The king formally announces before the ceremony that those who are willing to take his daughter's hand i.e; are ready for marriage must come forward.Bheeshma must have informed this to Satyavathi when she pressed him to go and win the Kashi princess for her sons coz this will be a hitch to his 'Oath'.

Coming to the point I agree with what you said!I feel if Bheeshma had married Amba then Satyavathi herself would have chosen their son as the heir of Hastinapur after the death of her own sons.Most likely there would have been no Dhritarashtra & Pandu.We know that she requested Bheeshma to marry Ambika & Ambalika and bring forth a heir.All this effort was made as Bhishma had no partner!But what if he was married?Anyhow considering the existence of Dhritarashtra & Pandu Ambika would definitely have had her control on the events happening in her family(atleast on those concerned with her daughter-in-Law Gandhari😆 ).Being the eldest as well as a strong and determined person she would have changed the entire scenario of Kuru family.

Interesting take. I doubt satyavati would happily accept bhishma's marriage to amba and the possibility of heirs. If she was ambitious as shown in the serial to overrule bhishma's claims to the throne so that her own children ruled what was to stop her from wishing her grandchildren to continue as rulers ?
What I don't understand is when she knes that her own children were incapable of winning the Swayamwar contest why would she ask bhishma to fight on their behalf 😕 she was the ambitious one who pushed Bhishma and hastinaput towards doom thanks to inept heirs to the throne.
Vr15h thumbnail
IPL 2024 Participants 2 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Lola, I'm playing the whole what-if game right from the start, and am writing my own Mahabharat - you can read it here at The C. N. A. T.. So here, I'll just address the Bheeshma/Amba angle.
I think that had Bheeshma married Amba, she may have wanted sons, since one of her complants to Parashurama was that she was being deprived of the duties of a woman to marry and serve her husband and defend his lineage. So I doubt that Bheeshma could have just married her and not had kids. And once they had kids, everything could well have been up in the air again - Dhritarashtra could have had one more rival to the throne, & Satyavati's father's fears would have come true.

I do think that had Bheeshma married Amba, then one more thing could have changed. Once Vichitravirya died, Bheeshma himself could have conceived sons in Ambika & Ambalika, if Satyavati wanted, and in that case, Dhritarashtra may not have been blind, and Pandu may not have been unhealthy. In such a case, Dhritarashtra would have had uncontested claim to Hastinapur's throne, and then Duryodhan too would have been the legitimate line of succession.

Only question here - would Amba have allowed Bheeshma to create sons in her devranis Ambika & Ambalika b4 she herself got sons from Bheeshma? I very strongly doubt it - while a woman would have been okay w/ a sautan having a son before her, no woman would tolerate her husband creating kids in other women not married to him before creating kids in her. In which case, her son would have been the eldest, and Khandavprastha would probably have had to be given to him in order to avoid any appearance of impropriety, if Dhritarashtra was not to be passed over, as per the terms of Satyavati's marriage.
varaali thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
What would have happened?

Well... he would no longer be called Bheeshma. His name would have reverted back to Devavrata.

A better alternative would have been if Bhishma had apologized to Shalva and Shalva was persuaded to set aside his kshatriya pride and accept Amba.

*Win- Win* situation
Edited by varaali - 11 years ago
bhas1066 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
hi
as far as i know when the 8th vasu was cursed to take birth by rishi vashishta , he also cursed that Dyu would be childless so even if he had married amba i dont think he would have had any heirs.

"The virtuous Apava, however, said, 'Ye Vasus, with Dhava and others, ye have been cursed by me. But ye shall be freed from my curse within a year of your birth among men. But he for whose deed ye have been cursed by me he, viz., Dyu, shall for his sinful act, have to dwell on earth for a length of time. I shall not make futile the words I have uttered in wrath. Dyu, though dwelling on Earth, shall not beget children. He shall, however, be virtuous and conversant with the scriptures. He shall be an obedient son to his father, but he shall have to abstain from the pleasure of female companionship.'"

Manojie thumbnail
Anniversary 20 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
The relationship between Amba and Bheeshma is very interested.

I think it's disgusting the way Amba was kidnapped by Bheeshma. Not just Amba, Ambika and Ambalika too. The three sisters had no choice when they were taken by him, and all because of feeling insulted by their father.

Amba was allowed to go back when Bheeshma found out she loved The king of Shalva, but he refused to accept her, because he had lost her to Bheesma.

This whole notion of LOSING a woman, I think is a foresight into the losing of Draupadi. Highlights that a man has no right to win or lose a woman like property.