Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

thegameison thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 11 years ago

Originally posted by: lola610

Originally, I had read that Pallavi Subhash had been selected to play Amba and I was really looking forward to it, knowing her potential I figured it would be a sensitive performance highlighting the tragedy of Amba's life (and the injustice of that common kshatriya practice of abducting princesses against their will) just as Rakshanda Khan's portrayal had in a rare bearable scene from Ekta's Mahabharat. When I saw that it was Ratan playing her in the promos, I started to worry that things would go in this vampy OTT direction. Today's episode confirmed my fears 🤔

Why? I didn't know Ratan Rajput is known for her vamp-y skills. 🤓

Pallavi Subhash even SOUNDS better. Eeh. 😆 I remember watching Ekta Kapoor's Mahabharata long as it lasted and Rakshanda Khan really did do a great job. This show has much more potential than than one ever had. I just hope they don't make more such blunders in casting peeps.
bgargate thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
I agree ...
As much I have read different versions of Mahabharat, Satyavati was never wicked like she is portrayed in the serial... It was not her but her father who demanded her son to be crowned prince. And Satyavati and Bheeshma shared a genuine Mother-son relationship and she always wanted Bheeshma to train her sons to be like him.
You r right ... this Satyavati is a typical step-mom out of a regular daily soap ...
And for Amba... this character is again exaggerated ... Amba was madly in love with King Shaalva ... and wished to marry him... but she was never arrogant like she was shown today ...
The show is portraying all the women in negative shades... just like any other daily soap ...
Bhavaani thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 3
You guys took the words right out of my mouth...Lola and I were discussing exactly this earlier today. The makers are running the risk of making it seem like these women deserve what they got in life due to their vampyness. It's going to backfire BIG time if they portray Draupadi in the same way they are Satyavati and now Amba. On a positive note though I'm happy with how they've shown Bhishma, but they need to show the same focus and sensitivity with the female characters.
Daisy thumbnail
Anniversary 20 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail + 2
Wow for this topic. No intentions to anger anyone, but this is the reason BR won hearts-- he portrayed the characters as they were... no vampish Satyavati, no arrogant Amba. Also, I loved the way Ganga was shown as a constant support to Bheeshma. Ganga in this MB is pretty, but don't you think the makeup is a tad too much, what with pearls in her hair?😆
Drauapdi in the promos already looks super angry to me.. she has that scary glare... Roopa Ganguly played Draupadi so subtly.. she showed her disgust with her eyes and sarcastic smile. But there was serenity on her face, a defeated look in the eyes, pain ,n sorrow. This new Drauapdi is nothing but one angry revengeful woman. Sorry guys, but Im proud to be a BR fan.😃
440733 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Daisy

Wow for this topic. No intentions to anger anyone, but this is the reason BR won hearts-- he portrayed the characters as they were... no vampish Satyavati, no arrogant Amba. Also, I loved the way Ganga was shown as a constant support to Bheeshma. Ganga in this MB is pretty, but don't you think the makeup is a tad too much, what with pearls in her hair?😆

Drauapdi in the promos already looks super angry to me.. she has that scary glare... Roopa Ganguly played Draupadi so subtly.. she showed her disgust with her eyes and sarcastic smile. But there was serenity on her face, a defeated look in the eyes, pain ,n sorrow. This new Drauapdi is nothing but one angry revengeful woman. Sorry guys, but Im proud to be a BR fan.😃

I agree with you wholeheartedly! 😊
Though I dont like to compare the old and new MB but you are completely right on the reason why BR Chopra version was more popular.
Despite the lack of modernised equipment and technology that we get today, He had enough creativity to portray the characters as they were without making anyone too black or white. His version wasn't the most perfect, it had many faults but it had never really strayed away from the original characters.
It seems nowadays, the indian tely has the technology but not the creativity for proper storytelling and handling of character with subtlety.

Whichever version of MB it may be, the creators should be very clear on how they show the characters because MB is filled with many grey characters who have faults in them that we, human beings, can see in ourselves too which is why they shouldn't try to portray any character as too extreme.
Star_girl thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
See guys. I have only one issue. The show-makers, are trying only to concentrate on people who are somewhat famous in television industry, say Sayantani or Ratan. In order to highlight their roles, they are omitting information and honestly, they story feels so disconnected. Get ready for another round of focusing on the famous actors from the Pandava and Kauravas. No matter the importance of the role, they are trying to highlight the roles of the famous actors. This is plain biased.
nobodyatnotime thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: .Rinnie.

I know I know... its just the beginning, give it time n all that. Though I loved the old Mahabharat of BR Chopra's, I haven't once compared it to this and have watched this new MB with an open mind.

However one thing that really strikes me is the portrayal of certain characters like Satyavati and now, Amba. According to the original stories of MB, Satyavati wasn't as selfish or ambitious as she is protrayed to be here.
She seems like one of those wicked step mothers outta of a tv serial. Though she may have been selfish n ambitious but she did have respect and was grateful to beeshma for what he scarificed for her. However,here, Satyavati seems least bothered about anything other than her own ambitions and her son.

And here comes, Amba who is shown burning crop fields 😕
I dont remember her being arrogant enough to do such things.

Im all for women being independent, strong minded and so on but I felt by the way they are potraying these female characters, it is heading more toward vampish than woman power.

I dunno... maybe I might be judging too soon however this makes me worried how they will handle the further story with other important female characters. Because MB is filled with so many grey shaded characters who can neither be portrayed as fully black nor as fully white with expection of shakuni and so on.

Other than Im happy with this new MB. 😊
I just hope they dont change too much of the original story.

I agree. They are equating strong women to vamps. I mean, you can rationalize Satyavati's fears before marriage- I mean look at histories of royal successions everywhere, of course a woman could be afraid for her sons when the prince was someone as powerful and strong as Devrath, but afterwards they shared a cordial relationship of mutual respect, and Satyavati as rajmata cared for Hastinapur too. Here they are showing her as some typical evil stepmother whose stepson is dying for her love and one day she is going to realize her mistakes and say something along the lines of "Humne hamesha aapko galat samjha blah blah blah" Fabulous acting by Sayantani though.
2ndly, as far as I know kidnapping the Kashi princesseswas Bhishma's ideas, not Satyavati's.
3rdly, I don't see why Amba had to burn the crops. That was completely unnecessary. Her later vendetta against Bhisma is right on her side if you see her side of the story, and just because she is reborn to kill him does not mean she has to be shown as an evil witch who burns crops and stuff.
4thly, I dion't know Panchal had a problem with Bhishma. Drupad had a problem with Dronacharya, this I knew.
hnidiga thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
seriously.. i expected the new Mahabharat to put forth the values and the original concept in a new bottle and show it to the newer generation (m not old btw 😛, but i know The Mahabharat inside out) so that they could relate to it.. already satyavati is a wicked step mother, amba is a cruel lover obsessed female.. it has completely changed the storyline... the motives have been changed and hence the reasons for why the things as they happened have been tampered with... Already not many ppl know abt the greatness of Mahabharat and now it crux is manipulated all for TRP's
And I am especially against showcasing all women as negative.. and being a religious scripture somehow it offends my sensibilities to see the wrong portrayal.. very dissappointed.. and ya this has nothing to do with drawing any comparison with the older version.
misty85 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
I completely agree with almost everyone here. Being strong & independent doesn't mean that person is selfish... they didn't show ganga's story properly... they simply showed that ganga took her son some years back... in this way she was also projected as selfish... but that was not the case... these half-baked stories are biggest draw-back of this new mahabharat...
NandiniRaizadaa thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: lola610

I was worried about the same seeing the stereotypical wicked stepmother direction they took Satyavati in today. Female empowerment is a wonderful thing, but it doesn't involve turning every woman into a selfish 🤬. If the show does that, they run the risk of making it look like these women brought suffering upon themselves and by doing that, they'll be propagating the ugly mindset of blaming and shaming victims that already plagues society today - both in the east and in the west.

So true

Old MB did total whitewash of some characters while they seem to be doing total black washing

Truth always lies somewhere in the middle