Portrayal of Important Characters.

440733 thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago
I know I know... its just the beginning, give it time n all that. Though I loved the old Mahabharat of BR Chopra's, I haven't once compared it to this and have watched this new MB with an open mind.

However one thing that really strikes me is the portrayal of certain characters like Satyavati and now, Amba. According to the original stories of MB, Satyavati wasn't as selfish or ambitious as she is protrayed to be here.
She seems like one of those wicked step mothers outta of a tv serial. Though she may have been selfish n ambitious but she did have respect and was grateful to beeshma for what he scarificed for her. However,here, Satyavati seems least bothered about anything other than her own ambitions and her son.

And here comes, Amba who is shown burning crop fields 😕
I dont remember her being arrogant enough to do such things.

Im all for women being independent, strong minded and so on but I felt by the way they are potraying these female characters, it is heading more toward vampish than woman power.

I dunno... maybe I might be judging too soon however this makes me worried how they will handle the further story with other important female characters. Because MB is filled with so many grey shaded characters who can neither be portrayed as fully black nor as fully white with expection of shakuni and so on.

Other than Im happy with this new MB. 😊
I just hope they dont change too much of the original story.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
I kind of agree. So far, the show has been pretty good but the major downside is the portrayal of the women. So far, both Satyavati and Amba have been shown as vampish and arrogant. If they're showing "mellow" characters in this way, It kind of makes me scared of how they'll show Draupadi later on. 😕
varaali thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Now I can imagine how Draupadi will be portrayed. Will she order Dushashana to strip Yudhishthira instead of her? Or maybe do it herself? 😆

Disappointed. Big time.

Edited by varaali - 11 years ago
440733 thumbnail

Originally posted by: JanakiRaghunath

I kind of agree. So far, the show has been pretty good but the major downside is the portrayal of the women. So far, both Satyavati and Amba have been shown as vampish and arrogant. If they're showing "mellow" characters in this way, It kind of makes me scared of how they'll show Draupadi later on. 😕

EXACTLY what Im worried about because Draupadi is a very strong female character and was sort of on a warpath after happened to her.
But seeing how they portray the quiet and mellow characters, I get the feeling Draupadi will be more vengeful and vindictive rather than being a strong woman who held her head high despite everything she was put through.
Edited by .Rinnie. - 11 years ago
440733 thumbnail

Originally posted by: varaali

Now I can imagine how Draupadi will be portrayed.Will she order Dushashana to strip Yudhishthira instead of her? Or maybe do it herself?😆

Disappointed. Big time.

@Bold:

😆😆
U never know... she might as well hint at that.
chirpy_life19 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Looks like they want to highlight narratives concerning women characters from Mahabharat and project them as the main reason behind War.
SRJKiShraddha thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
satayvati as grey shades ok ,may be she was blind mother
but amba's as villlain by burning crop was not neccessary
i feel she was very independent n strong women who stood for his love n vocal to express her desire
MagadhSundari thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
I was worried about the same seeing the stereotypical wicked stepmother direction they took Satyavati in today. Female empowerment is a wonderful thing, but it doesn't involve turning every woman into a selfish 🤬. If the show does that, they run the risk of making it look like these women brought suffering upon themselves and by doing that, they'll be propagating the ugly mindset of blaming and shaming victims that already plagues society today - both in the east and in the west.
thegameison thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
I'm so with you on this, topic maker. 😳

Satyawati was not that selfish. It was actually her father who ultimately caused Devvrat to make the vow. Satyawati's been fine to me because the actress is doing a good job. But Ratan Rajput as Amba was just gaudy. I did not like her. She has no presence. Amba wasn't like that. It's not in the text, it's not anywhere. Why are they making her burn fields and giving her that I-am-evil background music characteristic to TV vamps? 😳

Edited by epiphany. - 11 years ago
MagadhSundari thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: epiphany.

I'm so with you on this, topic maker. 😳

Satyawati was not that selfish. It was actually her father who ultimately caused Devvrat to make the vow. Satyawati's been fine to me because the actress is doing a good job. But Ratan Rajput as Amba was just gaudy. I did not like her. She has no presence. Amba wasn't like that. It's not in the text, it's not anywhere. Why are they making her burn fields and giving her that I-am-evil background music characteristic to TV vamps? 😳

Originally, I had read that Pallavi Subhash had been selected to play Amba and I was really looking forward to it, knowing her potential I figured it would be a sensitive performance highlighting the tragedy of Amba's life (and the injustice of that common kshatriya practice of abducting princesses against their will) just as Rakshanda Khan's portrayal had in a rare bearable scene from Ekta's Mahabharat. When I saw that it was Ratan playing her in the promos, I started to worry that things would go in this vampy OTT direction. Today's episode confirmed my fears 🤔