Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 11 years ago
I agree Draupadi was a slightly haughty character. The major misdemeanors she committed were to accuse Karna of being "suta putra" in her swayamvar, and laughing at Duryodhan in the Maya sabha. However, does that mean she deserved being molested and sexually harassed? If anyone believes Draupadi actually deserved the vastra haran, or even if they feel she was responsible for it, I have nothing more to say. I cannot argue with someone with that sort of regressive and degraded mindset.
MagadhSundari thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Whoa... is this thread even real? I double checked my calendar and sure enough, it's September 17th, not April 1st 😕 Is today's episode's drunk Vichitraveerya perhaps trolling through the forum?
thegameison thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Duryodhana was a stud, man. Suure! 😛
artifacts thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Well, my opinion is that Duryodhana was a classic case of person who was always at a disadvantage and was misguided. He did not get the throne, he was manipulated by shakuni, humiliated by pandavas. he was always blind with revenge and did lots of evil things. But he had some good qualities too. While reading MB you sometimes feel that some things were not fair with Duryodhana.
But then that's the essence of MB. Not one character is good or bad. Every character is grey. Even krishna was not fair in the yudh because of his preference to pandavas.
That's why you can study every kind of human behavior in MB
varaali thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: devica

Well, my opinion is that Duryodhana was a classic case of person who was always at a disadvantage and was misguided. He did not get the throne, he was manipulated by shakuni, humiliated by pandavas. he was always blind with revenge and did lots of evil things. But he had some good qualities too. While reading MB you sometimes feel that some things were not fair with Duryodhana.

But then that's the essence of MB. Not one character is good or bad. Every character is grey. Even krishna was not fair in the yudh because of his preference to pandavas.
That's why you can study every kind of human behavior in MB

Life is not fair to anyone, buddy
Star_girl thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
No. The thing is that you have to understand every character and their nuances. That is the beauty of Mahabharat. It is one book that never tries to force how good or bad a character is. Duryodhan is horrible. But why? His character is a lesson in bad parenting. What bad and indulgent parenting can do to a child. He is the spoilt, little brat of the Kauravas and it is Dhridharashtra who worsens his attitude to life by indulging him constantly. I love how Mahabharat always provides logical reasons for the way every character is. Isn't it still true today? We see bad and indulgent upbringing completely ruining a person? Nobody is born bad. They become so through years of wrong education and bad judgement.
nobodyatnotime thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
I guess Duryadhona's justification would be that his father was the elder son but not allowed to be king (yet when Pandu went to exile Dhritirashtra did rule as king so certainly he was capable in spite of his blindness) and then as the king's son Durydhona had a right to the throne.
But to say he was completely innocent would be wrong. He ordered and allowed a lot of atrocities whether being influenced by Shakuni or not.
The Pandavas were grey in parts- they allowed 6 innocent people to die in their place in the House of Wax incident, Bhim's treatment of Hirimba was pretty bad...
The thing about this epic is that nobody is really perfect.
Vr15h thumbnail
IPL 2024 Participants 2 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: sparkle2985

it was not told by duryodhana it was told by shakuni
and i had studied about it in my college in Sanskrit and only i wrote it
duryodhana was angry on draupadi only at the mayasabha in which he fell into water and draupadi laughed at him

No, it was ordered by Duryodhan. Shakuni's only role here was to play w/ loaded dice.

The Draupadi laughing incident is there in Shrimad Bhagvatam, but not in Mahabharata. Anyone can judge whether that actually happened or not
lovesunshine thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Duryodhan's case was definitely bad parenting and over indulgence by his father n shakuni...

He was just in his judgement. he believed in equality of caste...

but until u r a kid whatever you do could be blamed because bad education/sanskaars... but once you are an adult you have a mind of your own..you can choose from what is right and what is wrong.

here duryodhan never stopped shakuni frm poisoning his mind...if he would had just gone and spoken his heart out to yudhisthir that he wants to rule, yudi would had easily given up the throne for him ...like bheeshma did for satyavati's children...

but still duryodhan was jealous of the talents pandavas had..and definitely wanted to defeat them to show the world that he is better than them - this he wanted even more than the throne..

the case of draupadi was concerned she was a queen and vain about her beauty and position..the laughetr i believe was just not from her but also frm one of her daasis...the daasi laughed n that made draupadi laugh as well , her mistake was that she did not stop the daasi neither did she apologize to duryodhan then and there...
mnx12 thumbnail
Note:
Forming views based on one incident & making judgement on that perspective is going to lead to another probably wrong view. If Duryodhan's actions are to be judged as right or wrong, lets wait till his character enters the show. Refrain from making personal comments on any member. If any post is found offensive use the Report button.

Mahabharat DT
mnx12