Expectations from SP's Mahabharat

642126 thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago
This post isn't really intended as a review. But more as a POV on what I expect from this show as a viewer and what I really wish they avoid. I did not post earlier because I did not want to judge before watching the first episode at least. Now that the first episode is done, I'd like to outline a few points:

- DIALOGUES : DO NOT TRY TOO HARD!

At some points the writing was extremely good. Some of it was intelligent and some lines were thought provoking also. But that said, I felt the show was trying too hard! We don't need so many metaphors, personifications or similes and other overdose of literary devices in dialogues. They should keep it simple and not try to sound "great" all the time. Wise or intelligent dialogues are good. But it should never feel that they are deliberately inserted!

- CONTINUITY:

What was Krishna doing in first episode? I couldn't understand if he was introducing us to the show or if he was the narrator. Shots of Lord Krishna elsewhere commenting on the story and relating it to contemporary times seemed abrupt amidst the other scenes. Either they should show Krishna in beginning and end or pause the scene and show Krishna as a narrator in spirit but at the same sight and scene. This "right now we are at Hastinapur and now we are with Krishna" seems odd.

- DROP THE STYLE!:

Ganga was looking more like a model than the Holy Ganga that's worshipped. What kind of pose did she have while standing? Satyavati's fake eyelashes are also obvious.

I would request the makers to not resort to overdose of make up on actors and not make them extra stylish.
They may do with less glamour so that show looks more natural.

The make up of rakshashas was also overdone with not just masks and facepaint but even coloured teeth!

- VISUAL EXCELLENCE NOT EXAGGERATION:

Yes the visuals were breathtaking. Finest on Indian TV till now. They outdid everybody in this department.

But I feel we don't need overdose of special effects and visual play in every scene. Otherwise it looks artificial and at times locations start looking nearly out of some animation film.

They should do only that which is necessary. No need of embellishments all the time.

This was based on what I saw in first episode. Now general after watching other shows. These are requests:

- Kindly choose cast carefully and extract the best performances from them. Please do not indulge in replacements like other shows!

- Please show the tracks to their completion. Do not suddenly change tracks or shift to new ones abruptly! (Especially UNLIKE the show on your sister channel!). The sudden shifts in tracks is irritating in a mytho. It's irksome in general also. But harder to digest in a mytho, for viewers.

- If you're talking about story and gyan then please also actually keep focus on them always. Don't reduce the show to mere action-filled maha episodes or dramatic scenes between popular/sexy actors at the cost of the story.

- It's nice to try and show relevance of the epic and its characters but there's no need to try hard to do this or give dialogues that sound like pop psychology or quotes straight from a self help book. Maintain originality and give something that actually has depth.

This is all I can add for now. I hope the show's good and gets its share of success - in viewership and quality. Their subject is rich and brilliant, it's upto them to present it in the best way possible.

😊

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

KaaliBilli thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago

Originally posted by: Skepblun

- DIALOGUES : DO NOT TRY TOO HARD!

At some points the writing was extremely good. Some of it was intelligent and some lines were thought provoking also. But that said, I felt the show was trying too hard! We don't need so many metaphors, personifications or similes and other overdose of literary devices in dialogues. They should keep it simple and not try to sound "great" all the time. Wise or intelligent dialogues are good. But it should never feel that they are deliberately inserted!

And the shift between formal and colloquial tones. Shantanu speaks formally while Satyavati slips in and out of formal tone. I am alright with fully non-formal tone but just be consistent.
Metaphors are pretty high in the lore itself and here the writers are characterizing using dialogues which is fine as far as they don't veneer out of the what the characters are supposed to be.

- CONTINUITY:

What was Krishna doing in first episode? I couldn't understand if he was introducing us to the show or if he was the narrator. Shots of Lord Krishna elsewhere commenting on the story and relating it to contemporary times seemed abrupt amidst the other scenes. Either they should show Krishna in beginning and end or pause the scene and show Krishna as a narrator in spirit but at the same sight and scene. This "right now we are at Hastinapur and now we are with Krishna" seems odd.

I thought he was a narrator? Not sure how this will work when Krishna is actually in those scenes.

😊

I am looking forward for this show and hoping it would surpass all the expectations. I do however am skeptical and the inevitable behavior of the channel, writer and introducing non-myths just for TRP kicks.

- LB