Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

VirManForLife thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago

Originally posted by: dasa06

According to legend, after Satyavati's sons died, she did request Bheeshma to marry his widows but since Bheeeshma had taken the vow of life long celibacy, he refused to marry..Eventually Satyavati had no other option but to confide about Vyasa to Bheeshma and Sage Vyasa came and fathered Dhrdhrashtra and Pandu...

Oh, I didn't know that, never came across it in any of my research. Well, that definitely answers my question😊 thanks for the info! Also,could you please provide me with the source?
north thumbnail
Bheesma's vow of celibacy is the main reason that

1. Amba cursed him and his family. She said that the family will eventually face destruction due to a woman's humiliation (Draupadi's vastraharan).

2. She self-immolated and desired to be reborn with the single purpose of destroying Bheesma.

3. She was reborn as Draupadi and Drishtadyum's (children of Drupad) transgender brother known as Shikandi. The same Draupadi who married Pandavas, so that made Shikandi Pandavas' brother in law. See pt 5 on the backstory on Drupad's children

4. Krishna used Shikandi during Mahabharata war to force Bheesma to lay down arms as Krishna knew Bhessma will never raise arms against a woman. Bheesma recognized Shikandi as Amba and laid down his weapons. After that Arjun attacked him with his 100 arrows all of which pierced Bheesma.

5. Drupad fathered Shikandi. He used yagna/havan to gain Drishtadyum and Draupadi. They came out of the yagna fire. Drupad was insulted by Dronacharya (teacher to kauravas and pandavas) and he held the yagna to gain children who will cause destruction of kaurava clan. He was defeated in war by kauravas and pandavas.

6. Drupad and Dronacharya have a history of their own. Drupad refused to help Dronacharya in his time of need therefore reneging on a friendship promise Drupad made to Dronacharya when they were studying in the same ashram. Dronacharya vowed that he will train such students who will avenge the insult he received from Drupad.
varaali thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: VirManForLife

Oh, I didn't know that, never came across it in any of my research. Well, that definitely answers my question😊 thanks for the info! Also,could you please provide me with the source?

For the process of niyoga, the first choice would be the husband's brother (preferably younger, if not, then the elder brother)

In this case since VV died childless, Satyavati asked Bhishma to perform niyoga with Ambika and Ambalikaa. This was the only they could ensure that the Kuru bloodline continued.

But for Bhishma, niyoga was equivalent to marriage and hence he flatly refused.

Now Satyavati approached Veda Vyasa who could also be considered a half brother to Vichitravirya.

Apparently he had no qualms, as history shows.
Edited by varaali - 11 years ago