Episode 1 Review-Underwhelming?

wuthering thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 11 years ago
So, I finally caught the first epi online- it airs on television later today in my time zone but I was so stoked for this that I could not wait for half a day!
Anyways, the first impression I got was a strange feeling of being underwhelmed. I guess I am in the minority here but given all the hype and hoopla- the first epi kinda fell flat for me. Yes, the show has immense grandeur. Yes, the show has amazing special affects. Yes, the show has beautiful landscapes. But is this all that is required in a successful show?

I felt the story was rushed, disjointed and abrupt. Yes, they have a limited number of episodes to showcase the entire story but even given that- it seemed very forced to me. We were given literally no background on Shantanu/ Ganga/ Devvrat. That entire father son reunion was veryyy rushed and came from nowhere.

The only character who stood out for me was Satyvati but that is because the writers have tampered with the true nature of the character. Anywho, the actress looked and acted pretty well IMO.

The others, not so much. Shantanu looked like a caricature. Devvrat I am willing to give more time.
Also having second doubts as having Krishanji as the narrator. I just felt instead of having the opening with Shantanu/ Satyvati, I would have preferred a more pious opening- Krishanji would have fitted better at the very start rather than the random middle. I felt they are focusing more on showing off their grand sets and hence they started with the raft scene (mind you, it was beautiful, but not fitting for a show like Mahabharat).

Also felt the background music could have been better in many places. For example the music when Shantanu is suffering all that heartache- seemed right out of a Saas Bahu show.

I know I am being overtly critical and I should be more patient. Just that with all the buzz that was created, I felt let down. Both the dialogues and the dialogue delivery was amateurish and rather than focus on character development the show seems to be focusing on presenting things on a large scale- where it of course gets full marks.

I just hope that this was a one off- and the show gets better from here on. Fingers crossed!

PS: Also didnt like the show having a title song at the beginning with various characters being shown. But hoping it was only for the first episode!

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Sabhayata thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Hmm i liked the overall episode .Of course it cant be compared to BR chopra's show that is a class apart nothing can ever compare to that.But it was still good.But even in the original father and son union is rushed.I mean even in that it happens in a few minutes only.The only thing they really cut was ganga and shantanu's love story.On other hand i loved the background score.But yeah title track with the characters wasnt required since they have ommitted numbers of important characters like other pandavs,dronacharya etc
Manojie thumbnail
Anniversary 20 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
I wasn't going to compare this to B.R.Chopra's version. I was confident this would be better. However I think I was wrong after watching episode one.

I think, what's the point of remaking an old story, if you don't intend on making it better than the original in every way?

Their story telling is weak. Good costume, special effects, set, casting, etc. but weak story telling. They completely cut out Ganga and Shantanu's marriage and Shalya (Amba's prince).

Also Devrat's promise was made to Satyavati's father not Satyavati.
LadyMacbeth thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 5
This happens when you mean to wrap up an epic show like Mahabharat within 6 months .
napster thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
i don't remember much of the BR version, so when I saw the boat scene, I got very confused and didn't understand what was going on. Had to google and then started watching the episode again 😆
the effects are too good but I think the makers should look at Life Ok's Mahadev. there the story is told wonderfully and the effects support the show
doesn't feel like I'm wtching lord of the rings 😆
Viji79 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 6
As children we all have listened to stories. The first time we hear a story and love it, the second time we would not be so pleased if the narration deviates especially at places where we were impressed. The first impression is etched in our mind. It's very human. Here I am not comparing with old MB. Because Mahabharata is not a new story or we didn't need the old MB to know it. The tales were all over our childhood. My 8 year old son, who has not seen old MB asked why the story opened with satyavati and not Ganga and her children drowned, because he has listened to MB ever since he started listening to stories. Therefore omission of shantanu Ganga story did leave a bad taste. IF rules, alright, but comparison is part and parcel of our life. No one is spared, not even governments. You compare something with the other all your life. We need not make derogatory statements about the show or actors, but asking to refrain from even citing the old show, kind of sounds very immature to me. A reader who is very intolerant to comparison has been blowing hot where ever the actors from the previous show are lauded. Does a statement like 'no one can enact DON better than Amitabh Bacchan' take away the charm of SRK? I don't understand.
thegameison thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
I agree with you on a couple a your points:

1) Satyawati stole the show indeed. 😳
2) You should be more patient, yes.

It wasn't underwhelming to me. The story was indeed pacing real fast. You'd expect them to normally just cover Ganga's bit in the first episode. But then, they did it all quite differently. There was no mention of Ved Vyasa and instead, Krishna did the narration. So, I believe we should just give them a few more episodes before we decide if their retelling of MB is any good.

Always good to read critical evaluations, no kidding. 😃

Epiphany.

Shaya_123 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: epiphany.

I agree with you on a couple a your points:

1) Satyawati stole the show indeed. 😳
2) You should be more patient, yes.

It wasn't underwhelming to me. The story was indeed pacing real fast. You'd expect them to normally just cover Ganga's bit in the first episode. But then, they did it all quite differently. There was no mention of Ved Vyasa and instead, Krishna did the narration. So, I believe we should just give them a few more episodes before we decide if their retelling of MB is any good.

Always good to read critical evaluations, no kidding. 😃

Epiphany.

Agree with yu
poetic thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: Sabhayata

Hmm i liked the overall episode .Of course it cant be compared to BR chopra's show that is a class apart nothing can ever compare to that.But it was still good.But even in the original father and son union is rushed.I mean even in that it happens in a few minutes only.The only thing they really cut was ganga and shantanu's love story.On other hand i loved the background score.But yeah title track with the characters wasnt required since they have ommitted numbers of important characters like other pandavs,dronacharya etc

Actually they needed to highlight the Ganga -Shantanu story as well. Becos from therein the concept of Shantanu's clan started and evolved. Maybe they will show it later as a flashback.
SRJKiShraddha thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
i agree some of point , due to limited episode ganga shantnu n bhishma n statyvati story is rushed but pace will be good wen pandavas enter ,krishnaji should have been either in begning or end not in between editor has to work overall epi was good for me i was focussed more on krisha scenes