Most Important Lesson from Mahabharat

swati2008 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 11 years ago
Hi everyone,
This is my first topic in the forum. I am Dibya from Cuttack, Odisha.
I am great fan of the epic. But I haven't read the original texts. My knowledge is limited to the oriya folklores and translation of the epic and my mom's stories.
Mahabharat has many lessons for life. I always think the most important them is not to aspire for something which doesn't rightfully belongs to you. The mistake Satyavati did in today episode. The throne of Hastinapur rightfully belonged to Devvrat, not only for being the eldest son of King shantanu, but because he was able, courageous and righteous and would have been a capable king. But he gave up his rights for his father and his step-mom.
Satyavati got the throne of Hastinapur for her sons. But could they really enjoy the throne?
Her elder son Chitraganda was killed in battle. Her second son died of illness.
Even among her grandsons, one was blind from birth, even Pandu couldn't enjoy the royal life and Bidura was considered only a Dasiputra.
Though Dhritarashtra become the king, but it led to the downfall of the Kuru empire.
Duryodhana could never achieve the throne after planning so many conspiracies. In the great war, all Kauravas, even sons of Pandavas died. All this destruction due to Satyavati's want of something which never belonged to hers.
It is an interesting point, though Bheesma served Hastinapur, all his life. But nobody actually enjoyed the throne in his lifetime. Yudhistir became King after his death.
Mahabharat is a great example, if one infringe other's right, even he couldn't enjoy the same.
Its my opinion. Different views are most welcome. 😊
Edited by swati2008 - 11 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

thegameison thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Hello, Dibya from Cuttak, Odisha!

The learning is wide ranging in the epic. I have read 'Jaya', retelling of Mahabharata by Devdutt Patanaik and listened to folklore. The lesson is subject to personal interpretation, I agree. And you gave a very insightful idea there. 😳 It's been right before my eyes all along, yet I never viewed the predicament of the kingdom of Hastinapur in the manner you have.

According to me, the most important lesson Mahabharata gives is the most immediate lesson a person needs to learn at a given point. Every sentence has something to teach. We tend to pick up the one thing we need the most. Happens with me all the time. I relate. Therefore, the biggest lesson Mahabharata has taught me is that there's no good or bad. The most righteous of men have flaws and even the worst of all have a reason behind how they are and do have positive traits in them. Mahabharata teaches me to be less judgmental and absorb whatever good I can see around, you know? Measuring in terms of black and white gets to you. Mahabharata is the most apt example of how it's not even possible.

Great, great topic, there!

Epiphany.

Edited by epiphany. - 11 years ago
bluerobin thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Hello friends , I too love mahabharat and I am also a fan of this epic . Feeling very excited after watching the first episode .

What I feel is there was no need for shantanu to go behind satyavati in this middle age . He had already fallen in love with Ganga and had a son . He could have waited for his son to return . Instead he sought companionship in satyavati . As a king who is educated as well with experience about life should have known that this love for satyavati will bring in trouble in the future . Just because of this king's desire to get married to satyavati , a young prince devvrat lost his right to become king , he had to denounce family life . I feel shantanu is at fault .
swati2008 thumbnail

Originally posted by: epiphany.

Hello, Dibya from Cuttak, Odisha!

The learning is wide ranging in the epic. I have read 'Jaya', retelling of Mahabharata by Devdutt Patanaik and listened to folklore. The lesson is subject to personal interpretation, I agree. And you gave a very insightful idea there. 😳 It's been right before my eyes all along, yet I never viewed the predicament of the kingdom of Hastinapur in the manner you have.

According to me, the most important lesson Mahabharata gives is the most immediate lesson a person needs to learn at a given point. Every sentence has something to teach. We tend to pick up the one thing we need the most. Happens with me all the time. I relate. Therefore, the biggest lesson Mahabharata has taught me is that there's no good or bad. The most righteous of men have flaws and even the worst of all have a reason behind how they are and do have positive traits in them. Mahabharata teaches me to be less judgmental and absorb whatever good I can see around, you know? Measuring in terms of black and white gets to you. Mahabharata is the most apt example of how it's not even possible.

Great, great topic, there!

Epiphany.

I agree...its very difficult to find a completely white character in Mahabharat...every character have some grey shades...
swati2008 thumbnail

Originally posted by: bluerobin

Hello friends , I too love mahabharat and I am also a fan of this epic . Feeling very excited after watching the first episode .

What I feel is there was no need for shantanu to go behind satyavati in this middle age . He had already fallen in love with Ganga and had a son . He could have waited for his son to return . Instead he sought companionship in satyavati . As a king who is educated as well with experience about life should have known that this love for satyavati will bring in trouble in the future . Just because of this king's desire to get married to satyavati , a young prince devvrat lost his right to become king , he had to denounce family life . I feel shantanu is at fault .

even i think its all Shantanu's fault...