First Episode: An All-Around Promise

thegameison thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 11 years ago
Mahabharata is a vast and exceptionally fascinating conundrum. I am an agnostic atheist and nothing whatsoever about Hinduism attracts me, except Mahabharata. In Mahabharata, I see a variety of characters and a plethora of potential learning that is impossible to grasp at once. One has to go through the texts and related art, articles and researches time and time again to absorb the meaning of it all. Because in simple words, Mahabharata is life. It cannot be defined objectively. As we come, none of us is perfect and as a matter of fact, no aspect of life can be seen as wholly white or black. Grey, it is. So our all the characters in Mahabharata, crudely humane with only the packaging of royalty of the ancient times, really. That being said, I am immensely happy that the makers of this show have it all understood inside their heads about the epic. I felt an instant connect between the show and myself because it was depicting all my notions about Mahabharata.

Krishna's bit in tonight's episode was a learning experience in itself. My ten year old brother was actually listening hard, I am afraid he did not fully understand it. Maybe even I didn't because you don't get it all in a day really. Krishna's explanation of identity was thought-provoking and yet quite plain and obvious. Our ceaseless desires construct the framework of our identity. We may be a lot of things but all those things can be held back except perhaps our desires. Might I add, Saurabh Jain proved in the first glimpse of his character itself that he's your quintessential astute Lord Krishna. I have nothing more to add in his regard because he was well, frigging amazing! 😳

Speaking of acting performances, Sayanti Ghosh is phenomenal! I have not witnessed much of her work before but as Satyawati, she's par excellence and that's about it. The most gripping scenes of the episode were what they were because of her. Her dialogue delivery is flawless and her expressions are so graceful. Also, Devvrat was played with enough tact to get registered into my favorites straight away. The highest point of the episode for me was Devvrat's plea to Satyawati. You see Bhisma being stoic a lot of times and you see him grieve as well. But this happened once and wouldn't happen again, how Devvrat felt defeated on realizing he was the cause of his father's grief. Sameer Dharamadhikari as King Shantanu probably had the most powerful lines after Krishna to say. He has a presence too and these people came together to actually create a great first episode.

I'm not proud of Indian Television mostly, let's be honest. But I was quite proud tonight as I watched Mahabharata. Why? It didn't seem like a TV serial to me. It was an absolute visual delight. Some historical shows are almost comical as they come with their visual effects but this one here was impeccable, okay? I was proud and it was all beautiful. 😳

On the front of the story itself, I will take my time. Their approach is unique, you cannot compare their storytelling technique with any other retelling of the epic on TV or otherwise even if you want to, you know? I'll just be in a better position to discuss the plot with more episodes out.

A highly memorable first episode, it had its impact on me. (:

Epiphany.

Edited by epiphany. - 11 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

laddoo598 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
I was caught a bit off guard when they showed Krishna, 'cause he is supposed to be born much after Shantanu's time, and then to my utter delight I realized Krishna is the sutradhar of this story. And boy I sure hope they keep showing us these insights from him in each episode. Whatever he said today about one's desires defining their identity, and knowledge blossoming from shattered desires was so profound.

LOVED the visuals, definitely the best show in Indian TV in terms of technicalities. The sets, locations, costumes, everything is GORGEOUS.

The actors were quite good as well, Sayantani of course stole the show. I knew she would be great, considering out of all the promos, I found Satyavati's to be the most gripping. Devavrata's introduction, his coronation, brilliantly done.

All in all, spectacular start, lets hope they can hold the momentum.
thegameison thumbnail

Originally posted by: laddoo598

I was caught a bit off guard when they showed Krishna, 'cause he is supposed to be born much after Shantanu's time, and then to my utter delight I realized Krishna is the sutradhar of this story. And boy I sure hope they keep showing us these insights from him in each episode. Whatever he said today about one's desires defining their identity, and knowledge blossoming from shattered desires was so profound.

LOVED the visuals, definitely the best show in Indian TV in terms of technicalities. The sets, locations, costumes, everything is GORGEOUS.

The actors were quite good as well, Sayantani of course stole the show. I knew she would be great, considering out of all the promos, I found Satyavati's to be the most gripping. Devavrata's introduction, his coronation, brilliantly done.

All in all, spectacular start, lets hope they can hold the momentum.

They had already begun with Shantanu and Satyawati's tale instead of Ganga's bit at the beginning. So, I wasn't surprised to see Krishna narrating like he was. It's innovative and new, this approach. I was like this too - what's he doing here, he's not born yet. But they have twisted the story a bit already. Like I am quite sure Shantanu met Satyawati after his reunion with Devvrat. Anyway, it was profound, wasn't it?!

The visuals? You bet! And about the momentum, this really doesn't seem like your regular show that's bound to lose its momentum. For, boy, it's expensive. 😆
laddoo598 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: epiphany.

They had already begun with Shantanu and Satyawati's tale instead of Ganga's bit at the beginning. So, I wasn't surprised to see Krishna narrating like he was. It's innovative and new, this approach. I was like this too - what's he doing here, he's not born yet. But they have twisted the story a bit already. Like I am quite sure Shantanu met Satyawati after his reunion with Devvrat. Anyway, it was profound, wasn't it?!

The visuals? You bet! And about the momentum, this really doesn't seem like your regular show that's bound to lose its momentum. For, boy, it's expensive. 😆

I sure hope they have a nice bank of episodes, just so they never go to the "shooting-an-episode-the-night-before-telecast" phase. That just kills quality. Though the fact that I keep hearing this show has a per-determined number of episodes gives me hope that they won't go that way.

Ahh I know, I was half expecting a flashback of sorts when Ganga introduced Devavrata to Shantanu. Her and Shantanu's story was important, especially because of the 8 Vasu backstory, and how she drowned 7 of her sons, and why she left Shantanu after Devavrata was born. Oh well, guess the scriptwriters are assuming that the viewers already have a rough idea about Mahabharat.
thegameison thumbnail

Originally posted by: laddoo598

I sure hope they have a nice bank of episodes, just so they never go to the "shooting-an-episode-the-night-before-telecast" phase. That just kills quality. Though the fact that I keep hearing this show has a per-determined number of episodes gives me hope that they won't go that way.

Ahh I know, I was half expecting a flashback of sorts when Ganga introduced Devavrata to Shantanu. Her and Shantanu's story was important, especially because of the 8 Vasu backstory, and how she drowned 7 of her sons, and why she left Shantanu after Devavrata was born. Oh well, guess the scriptwriters are assuming that the viewers already have a rough idea about Mahabharat.

Night-before sounds plenty crappy, man. 🤓 If it has a pre-determined number of episodes, that's well and good. Mahabharata wouldn't need the usual stretched-like-a-rubber-band approach because it's vast enough to go on for years if they cover everything. So, I am guessing they really assuming rightly that they've quite knowledgeable and tactful viewers, yes. 😆 And the flashbacks would be so welcome, it occurred to me as well. The actress who did Ganga's part did it so, so well.

MagadhSundari thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Lovely review, and YES to the Ganga shoutout! In a very brief scene, less than 5 minutes even, she made such an impact 👏 And I could squee about that costume all day 😆
thegameison thumbnail

Originally posted by: lola610

Lovely review, and YES to the Ganga shoutout! In a very brief scene, less than 5 minutes even, she made such an impact 👏 And I could squee about that costume all day 😆

I read your take on the costume in the episode discussion thread. Allow me to say it's plenty vivid, mate. 😆 And thank you. ( :
Samrata-Addictz thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
first episode really good,
Love sameer dharmadhikari as king once again,he possess a royal personality ,
and i love Ganga ,dunno do we have to see Shatanu -Ganga love story
but overall good beginning for great epic
thegameison thumbnail

Originally posted by: Ramya-DreamGirl

first episode really good,
Love sameer dharmadhikari as king once again,he possess a royal personality ,
and i love Ganga ,dunno do we have to see Shatanu -Ganga love story
but overall good beginning for great epic

I agree. 'Royal' was written allover the man's face, yes. I liked Ganga too, she was a two-minute wonder. 😳😆
imnowhere thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Wow! A grand beginning indeed! And quite promising as well. From the sets to the costumes to the locales were like seen never before. But the first episode definitely belonged to Satyavati. This character stands out completely different from what is read.
Shree Krishna's appearance seemed more like an appearance than a narrator. Want to see more of him in the coming episodes.