Dev-Vrat/Bhishma: The Akhand Pratigyaa Trendsetter.

MoronsKiMallika thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 11 years ago

Till date, when you read the irrevocable oath , or see Mukesh Khanna in the original Mahabharat , verbalizing the oath of " Never marrying" , and all the forces of nature getting violent in response, Shantanu and Satyawati looking both mesmerized and horrified... you can actually feel the adrenaline rush.

Bhishma. which means 'THE TERRIBLE' that actually set the FIRST ball rolling for the future MahaYudh of Mahabharata is one of my Top 3 fave characters from the epic. A man of blue blood, honour, stubborn will to make and keep commitments , of grace , intelligence , valour , wisdom and paternal love...Dev -Vrat for me is the Father Figure of this grand epic.

Irrespective of his faults , Ganga Putra Bhishma sacrificed his own life for his father Shantanu and his stepmom Satyawati. To the extent , that he served his father till his death, never let Satyawati to even know what ' no' means , looked after , guided and blessed two generations that were not even his bloodline. Ironically, his death came in the form of Shikhandi/Ambaa whom he had devastated just for his stepmom and his own irrevocable oath.

So , today, i loved the silent but metallic resolve and valour of Dev Vrat ... every inch a true KSHATRYA - as a warrior, as an heir, as a Yuvraj and above all as a son.

On the darker side of it, if only Dev -Vrat knew that his decision to discontinue his bloodline and never marry would plant the seeds of the GREATEST political warpath ever...In a way, Satyawati was like a Serpent ( the devil) who sent Bhishma to the Forbidden Fruit ( Shantanu's happiness ) and wrote the rough draft of DISASTER.

P.S- Thumbs up! I love the new Mahabharata's first episode and am someone who has seen every single episode of the classic epic of DD.😳

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

elasingh thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
MKM I loved it too...Its grand but I watched it off and on as it was 1 hour episode.
Great post as usual...
I am waiting for Panchali's entry...

Originally posted by: elasingh

MKM I loved it too...Its grand but I watched it off and on as it was 1 hour episode.

Great post as usual...
I am waiting for Panchali's entry...

Good to see you here, Ela. Do watch the full episode. Dev Vrat's entry was SUPERB , so was his Rajyabhishek . The real cake is tomorrow , though... with the historic "Main akhand pratigyaa kartaa hoon." 😆
Adr_Rush thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
I too loved the first episode and it feels great to do that there used to sons like bhishma who would do anything for their father 😊

Originally posted by: shamya_for_life

I too loved the first episode and it feels great to do that there used to sons like bhishma who would do anything for their father 😊

Me too. It was watchable and i loved the Dev Vrat parts. Sayantani has done an excellent job as Satyawati.😃
bhas1066 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
hello
u r right. its going to be a tough act to follow for bheesma actor. mukesh khanna and his vocalizations are par excellence...he made bheesma an unforgettable one.
do you know mukesh khanna didnt want to play bheeshma? he wanted to play dronacharya. he gave the screen test for drona but was selected for bheeshma instead.
Edited by bhas1066 - 11 years ago
Noe123 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 6
Know you from another forum.
As always, brilliant write-up!

The episode was riveting, a visual treat, well-paced - different way of storytelling and though old Mahabharat kept flashing in my mind (I can't believe I remember the old one in so much detail even though I watched it as a very young child), this one has started carving its own place.

Originally posted by: bhas1066

hello
u r right. its going to be a tough act to follow for bheesma actor. mukesh khanna and his vocalizations are par excellence...he made bheesma an unforgettable one.
do you know mukesh khanna didnt want to play bheeshma? he wanted to play dronacharya. he gave the screen test for drona but was selected for bheeshma instead.

Thank you.😳... I still remember Mukesh Khanna his white and silver royal garb , taking the oath and thunderclaps threatening to rip open the sky.

Thank you for that trivia and am GLAD that Mukesh Khanna played Bhishma- that voice his ability to play all the layers. WOW!👏... This current guy is also good but lets see how he does in the future.

Originally posted by: Noe123

Know you from another forum.

As always, brilliant write-up!

The episode was riveting, a visual treat, well-paced - different way of storytelling and though old Mahabharat kept flashing in my mind (I can't believe I remember the old one in so much detail even though I watched it as a very young child), this one has started carving its own place.

I also remember you.😳...same here! I realized today that i actually remember the whole original classic.😆... the new one is a visual treat and the story telling is interesting and not OTT. 👏
Anisha06 thumbnail
Nice to see you here 😊 watched only last part and loved it .