Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

thegameison thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 11 years ago
The comparison is inevitable. Take up any cult show and examine its forum, the similarity among all of them would be widespread comparison. Also, as far as BRC's Mahabharata is concerned, it's so popular and loved that it is some sort of model as to how the epic should be presented. So, the actors may reckon inspiration from it, so would the writers. If not, at least nobody can deny that it is the first of its kind and irreplaceable.

I haven't watched the entire series. But I have watched the first episode and if we were to actually analyze both the first episodes only - we'll see that Mahabharata has been handled very differently in both the series. And nobody would be able to enjoy watching either and absorb the richness of the experience if they keep comparing.

anu17 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
thats true case I even didn't watch the previous one so don't knw any thing abt it... but this is also awesome.. I feel this will do well tooo
MagadhSundari thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
I've not looked hard enough to find this happening in the forum or in comments under articles so nothing to add about that, but I do think the comparisons by the show's crew in the articles themselves are somewhat distasteful. I may very well agree that the costumes,sets, and special effects of this show are better than its predecessor's. However, that's because they spent more money on it, and the only reason they had the confidence to spend more money on it is because they knew there's a guaranteed audience for it. And there would be no guarantee of an audience for it if the older shows hadn't whetted people's appetite for content like this. So yeah, I'd like to see comparisons stop too, and from all sides - viewers, media, and those behind the show. Having seen the first episode, I think that there's PLENTY to appreciate about it on its own merit, without bringing other shows into the conversation for any reason whatsoever.
Viji79 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: lola610

I've not looked hard enough to find this happening in the forum or in comments under articles so nothing to add about that, but I do think the comparisons by the show's crew in the articles themselves are somewhat distasteful. I may very well agree that the costumes,sets, and special effects of this show are better than its predecessor's. However, that's because they spent more money on it, and the only reason they had the confidence to spend more money on it is because they knew there's a guaranteed audience for it. And there would be no guarantee of an audience for it if the older shows hadn't whetted people's appetite for content like this. So yeah, I'd like to see comparisons stop too, and from all sides - viewers, media, and those behind the show. Having seen the first episode, I think that there's PLENTY to appreciate about it on its own merit, without bringing other shows into the conversation for any reason whatsoever.

The visual grandeur is also due to the existence of technical advancements which the old crew did not have access to almost 25 years years back. Comparisons would eventually die down, once the show grows over the viewers, but at the moment inevitable, as all the remakes have garnered even in silver screen.
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6

I pretty much agree with everything people have said. I know comparisons are inevitable to an extent, but I'd rather we compare shows to the actual epic than to each other, especially since both the versions are being made by two different production houses. What bothers me is when people talk as if certain old actors own the roles of God. I get it that the old shows were popular and etched into people's minds, but why can't viewers be mature about it? If these comparisons came after the show began, then it would be a little more understandable, but before even watching any of the episodes, no one has the right to make such widespread and critical judgments.

I'm only asking people not to post any comparisons in this forum, and I hope mods take strict action against it. I know comparisons are inevitable on other social networking sites like tumblr and facebook, but at least on IF, let's limit discussion in this forum to just this Mahabharat. There's the mythological masti forum for discussions on past mythological shows, so diehard BRC fans who hate this version can go there instead of spreading negativity here. I know not everyone is like that, but I have seen a few posts already and don't want this forum to become a battleground of comparisons. Trust me, I've seen it before and it's not pretty.
246851 thumbnail
I would rather we have a stickie and confine discussions there, because BRC MB is a legend and a lot of us grew up watching it, comparisons r bound to happen.
MagadhSundari thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Lol rest assured, I didn't say anything that contests alll that 😆 It might be true, it might not considering the vile fare 80s audiences were steadily served on the silver screen (e.g. half of Dimple Kapadia's filmography) vs. the allegorical fantasy genre (for instance LOTR) that's more analogous to mythos and Ppeals to the current generation. But that aside, I was just saying that the mytho genre of Indians television exists because those 80s shows introduced it to the landscape back then; if they hadn't created the niche then the current shows would be the pioneers and therefore they'd be far less generous with their monetary and temporal budget - making the sort of quality this show has already begun to deliver out of the question. With relevance to the main subject of the thread, we agree that we'll all have more fun in a forum devoid of comparisons and hopefully both fellow members and publicity peeps come to the same conclusion.
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
^^ Lol, you know me. Once you get me started, I don't shut up. 😆 Plus, I missed our essay discussion. :P
642126 thumbnail
I think comparisons should be avoided from all quarters.

The makers or any member of team of new MB or fans should avoid responding to comparative questions or claim the new one is superior and old is inferior.
Sometimes statements of the team also provoke people to talk in comparative tones.

It's also fault of media to compare. The new show should get coverage for what it is.

If it was any other fictional/creative work then one could have argued against its remake (like remake of iconic films like Sholay or Don). But this is Mahabharat, an epic which is a part of our history and culture. So anyone has the right to interpret it or present it in their own way.

Comparisons might occur w.r.t. actors but it is very natural because the ones in old version may not own the characters but were iconic in them. Still it's true that today's actors don't have the FTII or NSD background in acting training, nor do they get time to study their characters or work on fine-tuning their performances thanks to the daily show format. They don't deserve to be judged harshly.

I hope we don't get subjected to replacements in this show. Replacements are hard to digest anyway. But more if characters are iconic mytho ones. I am already having a tough time accepting replacements in a mytho on Star's sister channel. PH should treat actors and characters with respect for it's not just any other show!

If they handle the show well I don't see any reason for comparisons to continue.

I agree it's better for mods to be strict about it before forum atmosphere gets ugly or fans of either shows and actors feel offended or hurt by each others' comments.
LadyMacbeth thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 5
Completely n absolutely agree with you .
Much needed post . 👍🏼