Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

sonanai thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago

Originally posted by: JanakiRaghunath

My most favorite characters are Krishna and Draupadi.

Out of the Pandavas, my favorite has always been Yudhisthira (surprise, right? πŸ˜†) and Bhima. I also like Arjuna, but the first two Pandavas are more my favorite.

Well, if people can like Karna, I can like Yudhisthira. πŸ˜‰ I always felt he was a misunderstood character, and that people never really tried to understand his intentions.

One of my favourite character is also yudhishthira...Now let me explain yudhishthira dilemma...By caste he was kshatrya, thus he cannot disagree to any challenge...by karma he was a Raja he has to make decisions...Again he was the elder brother of his family...
In dice game, he was first reluctant but as his father like figur King Dhritarashtra wanted him to play, he could not go against him...He knew that Shakuni will use some wrong methods but still he played as his elders told him to play...He one by one lost everything, but he cannot stop till his elders does not tell him to stop, each and every time he was defeated he looked to his elders in a hope that they will tell him to stop but alas they were rather being a mere spectator. When he lost himself after loosing his brothers and kingdom, he told shakuni with joined hands that he no more has anything to loose thus the game should be stopped now...But shakuni told him who told you have lost everything still you have panchali, now you need to bet panchali too...Yudhishthira looked at the King and his elders, they were again spectators, with heavy heart he agreed to shakuni to stake his wife...He never knew that his wife would be called to court and will be attemp to disrobe...but irony was that he became a prey and that was his dilemma...

From the point of view of Draupadi : She had a great respect for him, she always cared about him...When Sudeshna (Queen of Virat wanted to curse yudhishthira for he staking his wife at game of dice, then draupadi pleaded to the queen not to do so as yudhishthir was bound by his dharm...She was herself Shree and was bound to be with yudhishthir...

He can be compared as Raja Harishchandra, where Raja Harishchandra sold his wife and son for protecting his words to Rishi Vishwamitra...

lovesunshine thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
never will like yudhisthir..as when one is in dilema one has to weigh the consequences of the decision and then take it...what is more important to save your wife's respect, chastitty or to obey the orders of the elders to just play a dice game? Shree Krishna has killed his own elder his own mama kans to save the people of the village mathura whom kans tortured ...so yudhisthir could not even stop the dice game against the wishes of his elders? pooh!

krishna neeti says at times you have to treat people tit for tat..

Edited by lovesunshine - 11 years ago
rimi10 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Very nice topic and its really difficult to choose as I don't the details of Mahabharat that well. But based on the basic storyline my first favorite would be Krishna. He obviously is the ultimate and as his preachings in Geeta (not that I know the book by heart) are so very apt even in today's world and guides mankind whenever faced with dilemma.

Apart from him it is Drapaudi. Despite so many unwanted circumstances and obstacles that she faced in her entire life, she lead her life with head held high and didn't allow anybody to take her for granted. Every woman even in today's world can easily draw inspiration from her.

Also Vishma. In today's world its said "Promises are easier said than kept and maintained but Vishma did prove that promises are meant to kept. He lived the life of celibacy his entire life looking after his stepmother's family without the slightest flinch
Edited by rimi10 - 11 years ago
GodhuliLogon thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
when I read mahavarat the epic one .. I loved Judhistir character a lot .. because of his personality and he was a kind brother and person.. even in the last mahaprasthan he only entered the swarg among all of the pandavas because he was almost without any fault or paap .. .. and I also wanted to be druapadi πŸ˜‰πŸ˜³
sonanai thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: lovesunshine

never will like yudhisthir..as when one is in dilema one has to weigh the consequences of the decision and then take it...what is more important to save your wife's respect, chastitty or to obey the orders of the elders to just play a dice game? Shree Krishna has killed his own elder his own mama kans to save the people of the village mathura whom kans tortured ...so yudhisthir could not even stop the dice game against the wishes of his elders? pooh!

krishna neeti says at times you have to treat people tit for tat..

He had stake his wife after he has bet himself, thus before betting his wife he became a servant and his master was now Duryodhana...Thus during ancient times a master words were enough and no slave can go against his masters...Thus when his master told Yudhishthira to bet his wife, as a dharma of slave he had to agree his master, he did not have any escape to that...His act is not justified at all, as being a husband his dharma is also to protect his wife...Also Draupadi was a queen , a slave cannot bet a queen, this was what Draupadi stressed that How can Yudhishthira bet her when he has already lost himself to Duryodhana...How can a slave bet a queen?
Karna pointed out to Draupadi in contrary, that when her all husbands are slave she is slave automatically, thus even if yudhishthira did not bet her still she was a slave and they can do anything with her...Here Karna in disguise of dharma was justifying there act but still the same was wrong...
Mahabharat is such a pious book which has numerous point of view where a dharma can be adharma...and adharma can be dharma...
Killing of Bhishma was it dharma... No not at all... but again it is dharma as protecting dharma is dharma itself...Killilnd Drona, Killing Satyaki,Killing Karna, Killing Duryodhana was not dharma but protecting dharma and killing adharma is again dharma...So many counter opinion...So in this EPIC no one was perfectly right or wrong, but there was a thin line of wrong and right...
anamika_0 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
obviously it is krishna for me...n now in this show pretty obvious its gonna be my prince charming shaheer sheikh a.k.a arjun..
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: sonanai

One of my favourite character is also yudhishthira...Now let me explain yudhishthira dilemma...By caste he was kshatrya, thus he cannot disagree to any challenge...by karma he was a Raja he has to make decisions...Again he was the elder brother of his family...
In dice game, he was first reluctant but as his father like figur King Dhritarashtra wanted him to play, he could not go against him...He knew that Shakuni will use some wrong methods but still he played as his elders told him to play...He one by one lost everything, but he cannot stop till his elders does not tell him to stop, each and every time he was defeated he looked to his elders in a hope that they will tell him to stop but alas they were rather being a mere spectator. When he lost himself after loosing his brothers and kingdom, he told shakuni with joined hands that he no more has anything to loose thus the game should be stopped now...But shakuni told him who told you have lost everything still you have panchali, now you need to bet panchali too...Yudhishthira looked at the King and his elders, they were again spectators, with heavy heart he agreed to shakuni to stake his wife...He never knew that his wife would be called to court and will be attemp to disrobe...but irony was that he became a prey and that was his dilemma...

From the point of view of Draupadi : She had a great respect for him, she always cared about him...When Sudeshna (Queen of Virat wanted to curse yudhishthira for he staking his wife at game of dice, then draupadi pleaded to the queen not to do so as yudhishthir was bound by his dharm...She was herself Shree and was bound to be with yudhishthir...

He can be compared as Raja Harishchandra, where Raja Harishchandra sold his wife and son for protecting his words to Rishi Vishwamitra...

Very well said! I agree with your words 1000%. πŸ‘ This is exactly why I love Yudhisthira's character. He was not perfect like others pointed out. Of course he made mistakes and had faults like all the other Pandavas, but he wasn't called Dharmaraja for no reason. His character really can be compared to Raja Harishchandra, who had to take some painful decisions in life to honor the words of his elders. Should he have gambled away his kingdom, brothers, and wife on the orders of Dhritarastra? Maybe, maybe not. It's a debatable topic and no one answer is correct, but I feel like people make him the scapegoat since he's the easiest to blame for the whole incident.
On the other hand, so many people hail Karna as a "hero" despite what he did during the vastra haran. 🀒 HE was the one who told Duryodhan that Draupadi should be disrobed and humiliated in front of everyone, just because she refused him in her swayamvar and he wanted revenge. Oh WOW, what a great hero he was. πŸ‘πŸ€¬ What he did was totally fine, but Yudhisthira is apparantely a horrible person and a chauvinist for honoring Dhritarastra (who was like a father to him after Pandu) and participating in the dice game.
It's quite interesting that people can be so hypocritical when it comes to the way they analyze characters. I would like to ask ever fan of Karna right now, to justify his words in the vastra haran of Draupadi. I agree that Draupadi's pride in refusing him in her swayamvar was wrong. She should not have used the words "suta putra" to reject him, but does that make her deserving of such a heinous crime? Duryodhana actually had no intention of disrobing Draupadi. He had ordered her to wear servant's clothes and join the servants of Hastinapura in their quarters, but then Karna spoke up and said that Draupadi should be disorbed, since the royal clothing she is wearing no longer "belongs" to her. It was only then that Duryodhan had ordered Dushashan to drag Draupadi to the assembly.
I am actually very curious to see how people defend Karna for this action! How is he any different from the men who molest and violate women today? What Karna did was nothing more than Sexual Harassment, but still, he is a hero and Yudhisthira is a villain. πŸ€” Heights of hypocrisy!
Bhavaani thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 3
Totally agree with Janaki with regards to Karna...don't understand how people hero worship him. I'll give him his dues, he was brave, charitable etc etc but no way was he better than Arjun (as a person). Arjun had respect for women,he would never have done what Karna did during Draupadi's vastra haran. But having said that I don't think much of Yudhistira either...it seems like he enjoyed the fruits of his brother's labour and then made them suffer the repercussions of his mistakes. He was dharmaraj but even Krishna said at times he took dharma to insane levels. I'm not saying he's the only one to blame...but it's easy for him to say "forgiveness is dharma" to someone like Draupadi. Had the tables been turned she would have given anything to save them. Lol this thread should have been titled 'your LEAST favourite character' πŸ˜† because another one I don't like much is Kunti.
Back to topic though my faves are Draupadi, Krishna, Arjun and Abhimanyu.

Priya-Anand thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
i like Karna most in mahabaratπŸ˜›
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: Bhavaani

Totally agree with Janaki with regards to Karna...don't understand how people hero worship him. I'll give him his dues, he was brave, charitable etc etc but no way was he better than Arjun (as a person). Arjun had respect for women,he would never have done what Karna did during Draupadi's vastra haran. But having said that I don't think much of Yudhistira either...it seems like he enjoyed the fruits of his brother's labour and then made them suffer the repercussions of his mistakes. He was dharmaraj but even Krishna said at times he took dharma to insane levels. I'm not saying he's the only one to blame...but it's easy for him to say "forgiveness is dharma" to someone like Draupadi. Had the tables been turned she would have given anything to save them. Lol this thread should have been titled 'your LEAST favourite character' πŸ˜† because another one I don't like much is Kunti.
Back to topic though my faves are Draupadi, Krishna, Arjun and Abhimanyu.

I also agree that Yudhisthira is not a perfect character either. I just don't think Karna was any better than him. If Yudhisthira gambled away his brothers and wife, then Karna is guilty of sexual harassment. I can accept if people at least group them together, but I find it hard to believe how Karna is a hero and Yudhisthira is a villain.
Although Yudhisthira is justified in following Dhritarastra's orders, I also accept that he was not justified in gambling everything away. He should not have included his brothers and Draupadi in the stake, and I believe that is the biggest blemish on his character since even Lord Krishna spoke against it. I only like Yudhisthira because of his other qualities. He was always a strong rock for his brothers and mother to lean on during tough times. He gave the best emotional support to everyone and that is what I like about his character, but I would never claim he was an ideal character or that he was a "hero". To me, the only hero of the entire Mahabharat was Lord Krishna, and after him Arjun and Abhimanyu!
In fact, the entire vastra haran incident made me disappointed with just about everyone except Krishna and Draupadi. Why the hell did the adults not speak out against it? πŸ₯± Their justification for being silent was so stupid. Bhishma at least should have given the Kauravas, Karna, and Shakuni a tight slap for acting like animals against an innocent woman, especially a menstruating woman! But he used the excuse of "patriotism" to remain silent, which just didn't sit well with me. And why did the other Pandavas accept everything silently? Even if their eldest brother chose to remain silent, they at least should have waged war against the Kauravas then at there. Krishna would certainly have supported them, even Balaram no matter how much he loved Duryodhana.