Numm: One man two wives

Dimdim thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 11 years ago
I am not familiar with today's Pakistan.In Numm, the storyline includes One husband Two wives. I know its legally allowed to have more than one wife in Islam.But practically does it happen in today's day and age or is it restricted to the rural segment of Pak. What do the present generation think about this concept. Specially on the forum where most of the posters are women.
Edited by Mithuu - 11 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

mary78613 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
It is still practised today but mostly amongst feudals and landlords and in rural areas. Unfortunately some cultures will never change.
It is not so common in the urban areas and even if a man has done a second marriage, he won't announce it to the world. I want say it doesn't happen anymore, it does but it is more common in some areas.
Edited by mary78613 - 11 years ago
Chiraiyya... thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
I have not watched the drama but when a man marries a 2nd time I think its pure selfishness and I feel sorry for the 1st wife. I know Islamically a man can marry up to 4 times if he can support them financially and treat the equally. Men can take advantage of the fact that they can marry more than once and in areas like Pakistan, India and Bangladesh where the brides side still gives dowry, the men can still demand more.
I believe in monogamy, even though I am only 19 and not married yet I will never share my husband and if he did want to get married again I would divorce him.
This is my opinion, feel free to disagree.
Second marriages are fine in some circumstances as long as everyone is happy with it. Nowadays it has become too common. Men do it for selfish reasons as someone always has to suffer
Dimdim thumbnail
Thanks appreciate all the replies. Like I said Polygamy is foreign to me. As a woman I think its totally unfair.

Dimdim thumbnail

Originally posted by: HeavenlyBliss.

Second marriages are fine in some circumstances as long as everyone is happy with it. Nowadays it has become too common. Men do it for selfish reasons as someone always has to suffer

Totally respect your opinion I agree with you. I am neither that big hearted nor generous to share my Husband with any other woman. Hats off to those who can bring themselves to do so.
SilentPoet thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
its sad to see how in countries like pakistan and india, muslim people take advantage of this "men are allowed 4 marriages" thing just because islam allowed it. they choose to ignore the conditions that come with it. there has to be a valid reason to marry her like for ex. your first wife has become handicapped and can't take care of you and the kids, or the 2nd girl is some poor widowed or divorcee who you want to support and help out etc. (all of Prophet Muhammad's marriages had some lesson behind them)
but now a days there are so many jerks out there who choose to marry multiple times only to satisfy their physical needs... they do it only for pleasure. or some do it to show off, it's like someone above here said, a lot of landowners do it because its something that boosts their ego.
and ive also heard that in some cases you need your first wife's permission to get married a second time.

sorry for the long post, lol... i just rant a lot when this topic arises.
-Lostindreams thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
IM not watching the serial, but men these days are totally taking advantage of this rule.
To be honest im not against it. But against it if they cannot treat their wives equally, which men can't these day.

I was once given an example of HOW men actually shud treat their wives equally.
Like ie. a husband buys 2 apples, he is not supposed to give 1 apple to each wife, but instead cut them into half and then give half of each apple, u don't not know if one of them is sour and the other sweet.
Dimdim thumbnail

Originally posted by: SilentPoet

its sad to see how in countries like pakistan and india, muslim people take advantage of this "men are allowed 4 marriages" thing just because islam allowed it. they choose to ignore the conditions that come with it. there has to be a valid reason to marry her like for ex. your first wife has become handicapped and can't take care of you and the kids, or the 2nd girl is some poor widowed or divorcee who you want to support and help out etc. (all of Prophet Muhammad's marriages had some lesson behind them)

but now a days there are so many jerks out there who choose to marry multiple times only to satisfy their physical needs... they do it only for pleasure. or some do it to show off, it's like someone above here said, a lot of landowners do it because its something that boosts their ego.
and ive also heard that in some cases you need your first wife's permission to get married a second time.

sorry for the long post, lol... i just rant a lot when this topic arises.

Its not very common in India. Muslims in India stick with only one wife...mostly because of financial reasons. Actually never met any Muslim family with two wives all my life.

Originally posted by: Mithuu

Totally respect your opinion I agree with you. I am neither that big hearted nor generous to share my Husband with any other woman. Hats off to those who can bring themselves to do so.

Well in olden times second marriages were only allowed in certain circumstances. Firstly the first wife should be happy with it. Secondly he had to treat both of them equally. And he could only marry the woman if she was helpless and desperately needed someone such as a poor woman a widow or a orphan not just for the sake of having another wife