The men dressed as woman

sweet_5 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago
I was wondering if anyone knew the story behind the two maids dressed as woman? The first one being Hosiyar khan who is up Ruku's butt and the other one belonging to Maham Anga?

I know in India they have men who are dressed as woman, I can't remember how you say it in punjabi but my mum told me that these men are born this way. However, she didn't have any explanation for these two. I'm just genuinely curious about this and wondering if anyone knew the story behind this? We're these men being punished or is it something else? Just for the record I don't have any problem with it but I know back in the day how stern they are about abnormal things like these? We're the Mughals okay with it? My mum has told me that in India your not suppose to turn these men away from your home or else you will have bad luck

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

smile.sara thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
They r not men they r eunuch

In Mughal harem they were called khuaja sraa
XDPagalKuriXD thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Hey there! They are known as Khusra or Hijra I think, me and my mum had the same conversation lol. Even I asked my mum like why are they there? She said that they had nowhere to go so kings usually kept them in their palace as servants, they are trustworthy so they were usually employed for female royalty I am not sure if this is right lol but thats what my mum said, 😃 Hope I helped!

Edited by XDPagalKuriXD - 11 years ago
sfdiva23 thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
In the Mughal empire, eunuchs were employed to take care of harems and some of them became aides of queens. Being castrated males, they could not exploit women of the harems sexually, but were able to carry out domestic works. They often achieved high status.

from wikepedia : "Eunuchs in Imperial palaces were organized in a hierarchy, often with a senior or chief eunuch (Urdu: Khwaja Saras) directing junior eunuchs below him. Eunuchs were highly valued for their strength, ability to provide protection for ladies' palaces and trustworthiness, allowing eunuchs to live amongst women with fewer worries. This enabled eunuchs to serve as messengers, watchmen, attendants and guards for palaces. Often, eunuchs also doubled as part of the King's court of advisers.["

There is also the hijras and their culture which can refer to male to female transgender, or effeminate homosexuals. Some undergo castration but most do not. They often refer to themselves as a third sex. ( Fyi the kama sutra refers to a third sex). They face heavy discrimination and relegated to the margins of society. They have become part of Hindu rituals and this is a way to earn livlihood. To earn their living they show up uninvited at weddings, births, shop openings, and major family events. They sing and dance until they are paid to go away. The ceremony is supposed to bring good luck and fertility and the curse of the hijra is feared. They also have to resort to begging and prostitution
This doesn't mean that there weren't Transgender or crossdresssing males but I doubt if they were part of harems because most eunchs underwent forced castration.

There are a couple of movies 2001 documentary Bombay Eunuch examines the changing role of India's hijras, some of whom are also eunuchs. The 2011 film Nilkantho treats the plight of the Indian hijras with sensitivity.

Those who identify as mtf( male to female) or female to male ftm should be understood and treated as equal members of society. This is about one's gender identity not their sexuality. This is just a brief explanation, please do read more.
The current definition of transgender which is in flux
"Of, relating to, or designating a person whose identity does not conform unambiguously to conventional notions of male or female gender roles, but combines or moves between these."[2]
"People who were assigned a sex, usually at birth and based on their genitals, but who feel that this is a false or incomplete description of themselves."[3]
"Non-identification with, or non-presentation as, the sex (and assumed gender) one was assigned at birth."[
(from wikepedia on transgender)

Regarding sexuality one can identify as hetrosexual, homosexual( gay/lesbian), bisexual, pansexual, polysexual, asexual or not identify with any of these labels.

We should have tolerance, understanding, empathy for those who face discrimination, prejudice for their gender or sexuality and most of all acceptance. We are human beings who have a wide spectrum of how we identify in gender or sexuality. We are each unique and cannot fit into boxes. The divine who made us all had a purpose in making us unique in many different ways which includes gender and sexuality.

This post not meant to offend anyone but seeks to further understanding.
Edited by sfdiva23 - 11 years ago
riyya6 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: sfdiva23

In the Mughal empire, eunuchs were employed to take care of harems and some of them became aides of queens. Being castrated males, they could not exploit women of the harems sexually, but were able to carry out domestic works. They often achieved high status.

from wikepedia : "Eunuchs in Imperial palaces were organized in a hierarchy, often with a senior or chief eunuch (Urdu: Khwaja Saras) directing junior eunuchs below him. Eunuchs were highly valued for their strength, ability to provide protection for ladies' palaces and trustworthiness, allowing eunuchs to live amongst women with fewer worries. This enabled eunuchs to serve as messengers, watchmen, attendants and guards for palaces. Often, eunuchs also doubled as part of the King's court of advisers.["

There is also the hijras and their culture which can refer to male to female transgender, or effeminate homosexuals. Some undergo castration but most do not. They often refer to themselves as a third sex. ( Fyi the kama sutra refers to a third sex). They face heavy discrimination and relegated to the margins of society. They have become part of Hindu rituals and this is a way to earn livlihood. To earn their living they show up uninvited at weddings, births, shop openings, and major family events. They sing and dance until they are paid to go away. The ceremony is supposed to bring good luck and fertility and the curse of the hijra is feared. They also have to resort to begging and prostitution
This doesn't mean that there weren't Transgender or crossdresssing males but I doubt if they were part of harems because most eunchs underwent forced castration.

There are a couple of movies 2001 documentary Bombay Eunuch examines the changing role of India's hijras, some of whom are also eunuchs. The 2011 film Nilkantho treats the plight of the Indian hijras with sensitivity.

Those who identify as mtf( male to female) or female to male ftm should be understood and treated as equal members of society. This is about one's gender identity not their sexuality. This is just a brief explanation, please do read more.
The current definition of transgender which is in flux
"Of, relating to, or designating a person whose identity does not conform unambiguously to conventional notions of male or female gender roles, but combines or moves between these."[2]
"People who were assigned a sex, usually at birth and based on their genitals, but who feel that this is a false or incomplete description of themselves."[3]
"Non-identification with, or non-presentation as, the sex (and assumed gender) one was assigned at birth."[
(from wikepedia on transgender)

Regarding sexuality one can identify as hetrosexual, homosexual( gay/lesbian), bisexual, pansexual, polysexual, asexual or not identify with any of these labels.

We should have tolerance, understanding, empathy for those who face discrimination, prejudice for their gender or sexuality and most of all acceptance. We are human beings who have a wide spectrum of how we identify in gender or sexuality. We are each unique and cannot fit into boxes. The divine who made us all had a purpose in making us unique in many different ways which includes gender and sexuality.

This post not meant to offend anyone but seeks to further understanding.

10q😊

Word Count: 1

SonyaBlade thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
I'm going to assume though that in those days, none of those men were allowed to have their male organs still attached to them, because they would then be considered men, even if they felt more like woman...

so what we consider and accept as transgendered today would not be the same as those men/women represented in JA. They either were men not born with male reproductive organs, or they were men who had them cut off.