We want to create more SRKs: Geeta Kapur

AishMinoz thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 11 years ago

Geeta Kapur
India's Dancing Superstar judge Geeta Kapur speaks to TOI.com about choreographing the IPL inauguration, making Riteish Deshmukh dance and why Farah Khan and Shah Rukh Khan mean so much to her.

How was it to choreograph IPL inauguration ceremony? 

It was a sudden surprise when Shah Rukh Khan's company contacted us and said, we would like your team to do the opening for us and then I said why not? It's a new experience. I have done an act of the IPL opening once before, when it was in Mumbai. Here, I was going to do the entire set of Rabindranath's poem and Shah Rukh, Katrina and Deepik's dance. I knew this was going to be THE opening. It was challenging, and I love accepting challenges. 

How is it on the sets with Riteish Deshmukh and Ashley Lobo 

It's maddening, crazy and hilarious. They are so fun to work with. Initially I was in a little bit of quandary that how is the chemistry going to be...I had never worked with Ashley before. Right now, Ashley is still getting into the groove, he is very hardcore when he is looking at acts. So I and Ritesh are trying to break him down and tell him to have a good time. And it's nice to befriend a person like Ritesh. He seems like an absolutely crazy person. That comes across on screen. Even the contestants have a fantastic time with him. While Ashley looks at the technical side and I look at the emotional angle, Ritesh looks at the entertainment angle. Riteish's wife, Genelia, too is a fantastic person. She is a very calm and warm person. I had actually hit it off more with her than with him when we were shooting together. 

The best part about IDS is that people come and say, I am dancing for my grandson or I am dancing for my wife. And even if we want to press the buzzer after a minute, they wouldn't stop and say that I will finish my four minute set. So, if we normally take 4 hours in one audition, we are taking 14 hours in this and still enjoying ourselves. 

What is the future of winners in reality shows? 

What winners do with their future is totally up to them. Opportunities present themselves throughout their life in various ways. If you know how to look at them, grab them and utilize them to your fullest then you make it and are successful. If you know what to do with them, then your future is at a better place. If you don't know and sit back with the feeling that I am a winner, then you will only be sitting around. There are people who are just happy going up to a certain level. So after winning, they sit back and think ok now I am a star. What makes you a superstar is when you work towards becoming more than that. So if you are ambitious, it works. Reality shows don't promise you more than just winning. The biggest opportunity you have is to present yourself and show people what you have. Then it's up to you. 

But is reality show now the only way to prove your talent? 

There are still people who don't have a reality show for their benefit. We did what we did best. Reality show is just a way to get our faces and our name together. Earlier people knew our work, but they didn't know who we were. So it's a great opportunity now. 

There seems to be a confusion that we would like to clear. Was Sheila ki jawaani choreographed by you? 

There was a song in Maam's (Farah Khan) film. I was 15 years old when I joined her and have been part of every project that she did. So when this film happened, she was like 'Geetu, why don't you choreograph this song in film?' It was very odd for me to start becoming the choreographer in front of her. I know for a fact that I am not even an ounce of talent that she possesses. So for me to go there and start bossing around is just impossible. So I told her that I was not sure if I could pull it off, but she told me that you can pull it off, I will be with you every step of the way. I can't take credit that I was the sole chorographer of this song. I may have done a major part of it, but the credit of technically guiding me and putting it together and making it happen is maam's. So it is only fair to say that I worked alongside her. 

How is it to be known as Geeta Maa? 

Very humbling. I feel a sense of very big responsibility on my shoulders, because when people address you like that, they expect you to look after them in a certain way. Kids look at it in a protective manner where they feel very secure. With that word "Maa" people tend to put you on a very high pedestal. 

Dance India Dance is your baby. How is it to be judging another show when DID is on air on other channel, that too judged by Farah Khan. Feelings? 

It's in the same family then. Right now my priority is IDS. DID has given me my name, my fame and I can't deny that. They have given me my standing in society. But unfortunately, at the time I signed IDS, there was no plan for DID that time. Had there been, my priority would have been that. But being true to the show I signed up for, it is only fair that I am only for IDS. I will miss DID, but I am just happy that my mother (Farah)s has taken over the show. So nobody will miss me as such. 

You have come here for IPL. Which team are you supporting? 

KKR, because my loyalties lie with the man himself - Shah Rukh - because of all the support that he has given me. The first hit song that I choreographed, Roshni se from Asoka, was offered by him. He stood by me for it, helped me with him. So I owe it to him. My first major tour as a choreographer was offered by him. So he holds a very big space in my life. He just loves me and I love him. 

One person you love choreographing... 

I love choreographing SRK because he is a choreographer's person. He has never denied us of creatively doing something for him. He just does whatever the choreographer says. His excuse is that 'Because I don't know dancing, you should be a better judge to see whether it looks good on me or not.' He doesn't change anything and that's very fascinating. I love working with Katrina because I have never seen anyone work harder. I love working with Rani as she is the most beautiful dancer. The most perfect dancer is Aishwarya Rai and the package of it all is Madhuri Dixit-Nene. I cannot tell you how beautiful she is. And my favourite is Ranbir Kapoor. Hoping to do a song very soon with Ranbir and Madhuri. It will be a dream come true, because I will get to work with two fabulous dancers. If that means I have to go and assist Farah, I will. 

An actor with two left feet in Bollywood... 

People with two left feet are the biggest superstars in this industry and they still pull off songs like they know it forever. Shah Rukh Khan is an example. Because he has no knowledge of dancing but he is a fabulous performer. He hides his flaws with immense ease. He dances from the heart. And that is what IDS is all about. We hope to create more Shah Rukh Khan's in IDS. 

Any actors on your wish list? 

I have worked with Riteish before, but I want to make him do something outstanding, where people see him and say Oh my God, we haven't seen this side of him. He is capable. He has fantastic sense of rhythm, but his lack of self confidence needs to be broken and I want to choreograph Hrithik. I want him to do something very subtle. Because everybody looks at him as a very fantastic dancer, but there is a quality about him that he can get away by doing something very simple without being the actor Hrithik, but being in the character. 

You have worked closely with Mithun. Will you miss him in this show? 

I miss him. He is one of my most favourite actors. He is most endearing and loving. He can be your friend, brother, boyfriend and he can be your father at the same time. He is fantastic. He is very warm for the legendary actor that he is. He is very humble. His humility is unreal because he has seen superstardom and fame to an extent that people can go crazy. I have never seen him show off, and that's what I want to be. Someone who has it all, and nobody knows about it. 

The best dance that you have choreographed? 

Nothing yet. I feel that the day I start feeling like that, I will stop working. I think my best is yet to come. 

So what about marriage plans? 

Where is the guy? My only condition is that he should love my mum and respect her and loves my friends and is approved by my team. After that, he can be the poorest and richest person, it does not matter.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

ViccoTurmeric thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
No one can become SRK if he knows how to dance, Is Shahid a SRK??
DianaPrince thumbnail
pagla gayi ho ka??
not anyone can possess that passion,skill or intelligence to become srk.

he is not called the king ainvayi..
blue-ice. thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 4
Another SRK...not possible...
gilmores thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 8
Oh the 3rd guy is Ashley Lobo. I kept wondering who he was.
AishMinoz thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
OMG guys theek se padho 😆

People with two left feet are the biggest superstars in this industry and they still pull off songs like they know it forever. Shah Rukh Khan is an example. Because he has no knowledge of dancing but he is a fabulous performer. He hides his flaws with immense ease. He dances from the heart. And that is what IDS is all about. We hope to create more Shah Rukh Khan's in IDS. 
gilmores thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 8
^No. Geeta is judging Indias Dancing Superstar on SP this time. Its SP's new attempt to make a popular dance show lol. DID is coming back with DID Moms with Farah and Marzi this time. 😕 so theres gonna be a lot of dance on Tv this time..DID, IDS, and JDJ 😆
.Anamika. thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
I wish she wouldn't return for the next DID season whenever that is. I feel like throwing things on my tv when she's mean to people for no reason. 
desicrowd thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: chocolover89

^No. Geeta is judging Indias Dancing Superstar on SP this time. Its SP's new attempt to make a popular dance show lol. DID is coming back with DID Moms with Farah and Marzi this time. 😕 so theres gonna be a lot of dance on Tv this time..DID, IDS, and JDJ 😆

DID Moms ... When is it starting Choco?
TheJourney thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 5

Sarcastic Chatterbox

😵 i never knew there was any controversy regarding who choreographed sheila ki jawani...but reading this, i am getting a feeling that farah took more credit for what she has done. has farah ever acknowledged her geeta kapur for sheila steps?