REVIEWS: Coke Kahani TVKahani Review

Taify thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 11 years ago

21 Jan 2013

REVIEWS: Coke Kahani – HUM TV Urdu1 PTV Full Drama Review

Sitting in the lounge I was discussing how I had to review this serial today, and my friend scowled at the mention of the word "Coke Kahani". He failed to understand why the makers would name a show as such, but then we have no control over such things. Coke paid them big bucks, I assume!

Anyhow, moving on with the review… When the serial started there were nil expectations to be honest. We had so much happening on our screens, no one was ready for a youth based show.

But, this one has been able to prove all the cynics wrong. I, for once, was always rooting for Coke Kahani, which tells the story of a girl (Syra) who comes back to Pakistan after a good few years and tries to revive her father's (Faysal) dying business. This move also brings her mother (Soniya) back to Pakistan giving a twist to the story as she tries to remove the distance between her parents while finding herself on the way. This makes the crux of the story, but this isn't it. The serial has a lot of side tracks going on and surprisingly they all are simply brilliant. So many people have tried this in the past but no one has been able to enter so many side characters without going overboard.

When I first watched it, the story reminded me of Kal Ho Na Ho (the restaurant track) but I was still intrigued because it was so refreshing. Slowly with each episode the makers unveil layer after layer proving that creativity still exists.

The writer, Syed Mohammad Ahmed, deserves everything for writing such a marvelous screenplay. The serial has an international appeal. It is on the lines of Two and a Half Men, How I Met Your Mother and Friends as far as quality is concerned. The slice of life serial is topped with interesting and relatable characters that utters dialogues you would love to take home. Excellent work from the writer who never lets you get bore.

And what does one say about Mehreen Jabbar? The woman is back in command and proves that she hasn't lost the Midas touch. Mehreen brings her A game to the table doing full justice to Ahmed's commendable screenplay. No other director could've brought the script to life the way MJ does. Incredible work!!!! This goes on to prove that when provided with the right script Mehreen Jabbar knows magic.

The production values are top notch, even though it is produced by not so big names – I guess Coca Cola helped it there. The characterization, sets and wardrobe all go well. The series remain true to the flavor packing in interesting twists and punches. The background music and editing is first class. I couldn't find the OST, and honestly I don't feel the need.

As for the acting front the series brings together an interesting team of veterans and new comers. Everyone has risen up. Soniya Rehman acts well even though the role doesn't demand anything much. However, I wish she loses weight quickly. Faysal Rehman acts well but he has been doing the same kind of roles for a while now.

Syra Yusuf takes giant leaps as an actress. She brings the screen to life with her radiant face. Her body language, dialogue delivery are all spot on. Perfect Casting! Syed Mohammad Ahmed is such a talented performer. It is always a pleasure to watch him onscreen. Effortless! The same goes for Shamim Hilali who matches up to him and gets some of the best lines and scenes. Ahmed Zaib has improved but needs to work a little more on his diction and body language.

The rest of the cast is also efficient from the cook to the friends. This serial has such an interesting ensemble cast. It goes on to prove how small things make a lot of difference. The makers have paid attention to every minute detail. The serial does not only entertain but touches new horizons discussing problems that are real and conveying them in the best possible fashion. Kudos to the whole team for pulling this off so seamlessly!

Overall, Coke Kahani is a first of its kind series on Pakistani television, and I sincerely hope we will see more such great stuff on our screens soon. It is so well that for those 20+ minutes you get lost in this "kahani" sipping "coke" and not caring about anything else. Get away from rona dhona… highly recommended!
Rating:

P.S: This is a youth based show. Our aunties might not be that fond of it simply because it doesn't offer the actors to waste glycerin.

by admin in Reviews Tags: coke kahaani review, coke kahani, coke kahani cast, coke kahani drama, coke kahani episode 12, coke kahani episode 13, coke kahani episode 14, coke kahani last episode, coke kahani pictures, coke kahani promo, coke kahani review, coke kahani watch

[Edit]

8 Comments

1. Ali
    Jan 21, 2013 @ 13:39:41 [Edit]

Was the serial good in ratings?
    Such serials can not score well in channels like Hum and Ptv as they are auntie oriented. Urdu1's target audience is youth then its fine there. It should have been aired in Ary musik or aag. Other thing is, serial is too short in lenght i.e only 20 minutes. They should have completed it in 10 episodes but they should have been 35+ minutes

• admin
      Jan 21, 2013 @ 13:54:27 [Edit]

I totally agree. These serials do not have a market in our country yet, but this seems to be a good beginning. I know a lot of youngsters are watching it; however, the ratings I am not too sure about as they are divided among 3 channels.

As far as the timing is concerned, I personally think it is one of the best things about the serial. The short duration keeps it crisp and you longing for more.

TVKahani

2. abcd
    Jan 21, 2013 @ 13:49:02 [Edit]

This means I should watch it?

• admin
      Jan 21, 2013 @ 13:53:27 [Edit]

If you want "entertainment" then YES!

3. abcd
    Jan 21, 2013 @ 14:26:08 [Edit]

Just read it!

It is on the lines of Two and a Half Men, How I Met Your Mother and Friends as far as quality is concerned.

SERIOUSLY?

4. Ali
    Jan 22, 2013 @ 06:51:06 [Edit]

I totally agree with everything. The drama is superb and saira is so beautiful and a great actress here. The dialogues are nice too.

5. Osama
    Jan 22, 2013 @ 09:00:37 [Edit]

i think the drama is so over rated here. They try to be funny and fail.

6. sana
    Jan 22, 2013 @ 14:18:06 [Edit]

I watch it when it is on but I can never remember when it airs

Leave a Reply

Logged in as admin. Log out?

Anti-Spam Quiz: 3+3=

___________________________________ _____________

Sponsors

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Cant wait to watch this now! :P
canuck-umz thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
I like this show! Has been great for light viewing. Very underrated. Not along the lines of the American sitcoms mentioned but definitely along the lines of the very underrated YRF shows which aired on Indian telly a couple of years ago.
OnlyHope thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
I don't see why it's not as popular..I really like it..it's a refresher among all the other rona-dhona we get 24/7..