HR duet partner new singer Tulsi Kumar

uknaik99 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 17 years ago
Tulsi Kumar
I have fulfilled my father's dream
Vikas Mohan, MovieTalkies Desk, 27 January 2006

What would you do when the kin of an already famous family makes her debut in the field that the family is known for? Well, you'd stand up and take notice. Just like the entire industry is doing with the Indian Music's latest entrant… Tulsi Kumar. She is the young daughter of the late music mogul Gulshan Kumar and sister to current music baron Bhushan Kumar. With music running in her blood, it's not surprising to note that the young woman has made her foray into music... We met with the young artist at her residence. Excerpts:

Having come from such a strong background, entering the music industry must have been a cake walk for you… right?

Oh not at all. I think it's got to do more with the character than with the break. My father came up the hard way and he has never taught us to take the easy route. As a child whenever I used to hum famous songs of Lata-ji he used to encourage me a lot. I had a strong inclination towards singing right from my childhood days. I guess my father saw that and when I was all of six he put me under the guidance of my first guru Suresh Wadkar-ji. I think the real story began there and since then it's been a long route of riyaaz, riyaaz and more riyaaz and learning. Now I am under the guidance of Guru Arvind Jha. So you see, nothing is easy. You have to work your way to earn your dreams.

So daddy wanted you to become a singer?

Always. Daddy always encouraged me to sing and he did everything he could to put me on the right track. Now, with my debut album on the verge of release I'm glad that I have fulfilled his dreams.

It must have at least been a cake walk to get T-Series to back you?

Again I'd like to differ. Being from the family doesn't entitle you to a free joy ride. It's been an unbiased decision taken in view of my long standing performances with the company. Like everybody knows, T-Series is hugely into Devotional albums and I have performed in many such compilations for the company. I began with a Bhajan album Laal Choliwalee and then went on to do many others like Mana Loongi Tujhko Is Baar Maiyya, etc. I've also dove cover versions of Lata-ji's songs such as Jahan Pe Savera Ho, Dil Kaanto Mein Uljhaaye Hai, Meri Saason Ko Mehka Rahi Hai, etc. And recently I also rendered in a Punjabi album. If this is what you call a cake walk, then I agree.

How did Aksar happen?

My brother Bhushan Kumar requested Himesh Reshammiya to test me for one of the songs for AKSAR as he was on the lookout for a new voice. Subsequently I rendered the song with Himesh-ji and he liked it. Incidentally, later on when Sonu Nigam heard it he was also impressed and I soon found myself recording my second film song with him for HUM KO DEEWANA KAR GAYA which is also produced by T-Series.

You seem to be an ardent fan of Lata Mangeshkar?

Oh yes. Both I and my father have always been great fans of Lata-ji. The song Chand Phir Nikla from the film PAYING GUEST is one of my favourites. In the past, many singers have tried to mould their style of singing on Lata-ji and have always come up victorious. I too will try my best to sing like her.

At least your journey into the music industry is more or less secured?

In a way yes. But on the other hand if you look at the way my brother Bhushan has single-handedly managed T-Series after my father, I think you'd know how hard it's been for him as well as for all of us. We have very high values in our close-knit family. We don't believe in taking the easy way out. Right from my father Gulshan Kumar to my brother Bhushan Kumar everyone has come up the hard way and we will never take life easy. We have been groomed to work hard and earn our rewards and that will remain unchanged no matter what.

How God-fearing are you?

I'm an ardent believer and follower of God. I believe that everything we do is as per God's plan for us and I will always seek his blessings. I began my singing career with Devotional songs and only after having rendered seven Devotional albums did I even try something else. God will always be my friend, philosopher and guide.

http://www.movietalkies.com/interviews/view-interview.asp?In terviewId=68

Filmography as Playback Singer

As Playback Singer
Humko Deewana Kar Gaye (2006)
Phir Hera Pheri (2006)
Tom Dick and Harry (2006)
Chup Chup Ke (2006)
Aksar (2006)

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

apparaohoare thumbnail

Originally posted by: uknaik99

Tulsi Kumar
I have fulfilled my father's dream.

Slight Correction here " My father's name fulfilled my dream"πŸ˜‰

Thanks for the Article.

Edited by apparaohoare - 17 years ago
musicbug thumbnail

Originally posted by: apparaohoare

Thanks for the Article.

Appa, great comment.πŸ‘

leoni thumbnail

Thanks for the Article.

Appa da your sense of humor is excellent ....... πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ˜†

ranig thumbnail
Tulsi has a sensual voice. She has got it going on! But, she has been surely lucky, because I'm sure there are trillions of girls like her.
soulsoup thumbnail
It's kind of a vicious cycle!! πŸ˜›

Who release the albums of Himmy Bhaiya: T Series
Who was the founder and primary stakeholder of T Series : Gulshan Kumar
Who is the daughter of Gulshan: Tulsi Kumar
Who is the patron of Tulsi in the industry : Himmy Bhaiya!

And the saga goes on......... 😳

lalit1 thumbnail
i m sure many srgmp contestants would do better than a himmy tulsi number
vinit_fan thumbnail

Thanks for the Article.

πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

Edited by vinit_fan - 17 years ago
uknaik99 thumbnail