Rohit Shetty's GOLMAAL is a situational..

monicaaaaa thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
Rohit Shetty's GOLMAAL is a situational comedy

By Nitin n Sethi, Bollywood Trade News Network

Produced by Shree Ashtavinayak Cinevision Limited and directed by Rohit Shetty, GOLMAAL-Fun Unlimited is all set for its release on 14th July. The film directed by Rohit Shetty promises the audiences a rib- tickling experience. The film has Music by Vishal-Shekhar and Story, Screenplay and Dialogue by Neeraj Vora and stars Ajay Devgan, Arshad Warsi, Tushaar Kapoor, Sharman Joshi, Rimi Sen and Paresh Rawal. It revolves around four friends, who con people for wealth and fun but are bound together by their child-like notoriety and aimlessness.

"I play Gopal, the wisest and the most wicked of them all whose motto in life is to eat, drink and be merry. At one point, due to our notorious acts, the dean of our college throws us out of the hostel and we have nowhere to go. I tell my friends about a bungalow which is inhabited by an old blind couple (Paresh Rawal and Sushmita Mukherjee), whose son, daughter-in-law and grandson are in America. While I pretend to be Prashant (the blind couple's grandson), the rest of us to move in with me- the only condition however is that everyone except me would always remain silent. This bizarre sequence leads to much confusion throughout the film creating lots of comedy", says Ajay Devgan. Arshad Warsi quips, "I play the role of Mahadev. Gopal, Lucky and Laxmi are my bosom friends. We subscribe to the view that only idiots' work and wise men use them in more ways than one to make their lives comfortable".

Tusshar Kapoor underwent a three-week workshop, where Vikas Kadam, an actor who had earlier acted in the play ALL THE BEST in Marathi, trained him on voice modulation for the character of Lucky in order to get into the skin of his character. "I did a lot of breathing exercises and watched cartoon characters to emulate their sound and practiced for hours on their hand gestures. I play Lucky who is a dumb guy but not a bechara. He is a haraami who is adept at changing sides and creating friction between people", informs Tusshar.

"In a comedy, you have got to enter your character much more because it gives you more emotion, strength and connectivity. I didn't want to get too attached to my character and hence I tried to play as close to myself as possible by putting parts of my personality into the role to lend it a touch of authenticity", added Sharman Joshi who plays the character of the sincere and God fearing bright student Laxmi.

Rimi Sen who plays Nirali confesses that she also felt that she was a boy in the company of Ajay, Tusshar, Sharman and Arshad. "I play a sweet and beautiful girl in the film. The best thing that I like about the film is that though it has four heroes, I am the only heroine. Rohit Shetty is amazing as a director. He can make even a black African look pretty".

Rohit Shetty, who is the son of the late fight master Shetty had earlier assisted Kuku Kohli and Veeru Devgan in direction before making his debut as director with ZAMEEN. Rohit confesses that he had actually planned to make another film but when Neeraj Vohra's story idea landed on his lap, he worked on this plot and developed it as a situational comedy. "My film does not set out to deliver any message. Who am I to give the audience a message, when there are channels like 'Aastha' and 'Sanskar'?"

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

.Prometheus. thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 17 years ago
i think this film will be funny yaar cant wait