10 Surprise Hits of 2012

Taify thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 11 years ago

01 Dec 2012

ARTICLES: 10 Surprise Hits of 2012

Ten Surprise Hits of 2012

One look at the charts and you realize that 2012 was not that bad year. On one side, Humsafar's record was broken and other side, new channels popped up like anything giving competition to the old serials.

However, the quality was missing for sure – Roag? Maaye Ni? – We didn't get the kind of serials we got in 2011; however, there indeed were some surprise hits.

The list is created keeping in mind the ratings and the expectations of the makers. These serials were never expected to set the TRPs ringing, but to everyone's surprise – they did!

Man Jali

Manjali is one of the very few hits of Six Sigma this year. Unlike others, this concept was purely handled by the production house, and result is good. The serial was considered mediocre by the makers, but ended up growing on people averaging TRPs of 2+. Its direction and dialogue delivery have been appreciated by one and all.

Mi Raqsam

Another serial on GEO that was expected to take the world by storm when it was first announced, but when the makers got to see the rushes, it's heard they realized they had a turkey. However, the surprising part is that the serial held strong with ratings growing as the serial drew to a close. Many criticized weak direction and flaws in the story, but the novelty kept the people hooked.

Kaafir

Six Sigma's biggest hit of the season was for years in the making. If rumors are to be believed the channel did not trust the serial (and the star power of Huamyun and Ayesha Khan) enough to put the serial on a weekend. And the serial surprised one and all when it ruled Mondays averaging ratings of 4+. The thriller worked for everyone involved giving Six Sigma the much needed hit.

Aks

One of the most controversial serials of the season, Aks, is unique in the sense that one week it receives a TRP of 4 and other week a TRP of 1. This is totally shocking for a serial, but the channel still seems to be happy. A major reason for its success is a lack of competition on other channels on Wednesdays.. hmmm!

Yahan Pyar Nahi Hai

Most people credit Saba Qamar for the runaway success of Yahan Pyar Nahin Hai. This serial offered nothing new, and was never expected to be a hit, but it would definitely end up in HUM TV's better serials (ratings wise) this year.

Thakan

One of the biggest hits of the year, Thakan grew so strong that it was averaging a rating of 5+ at the end. After failing with the likes of Topi Drama and Qissa Char Darvesh on Thursdays, ARY finally hit jackpot with Thakan, for which one can only credit Saba Qamar. It will not be remembered for a long time, but it definitely helped the channel gain eyeballs.

Pal Mein Ishq Pal Mein Nahin

No one expects serials on a new channel to do what this one did for Express. There were others like Tishnagi on Express, but PMIPMN was the only savior for the channel, averaging a TRP of 1. The numbers are not mammoth, but given the circumstances, it definitely deserves a mention.

Meri Laadli

As per the ratings, Meri Laadli is the highest rated serial at the moment. No one knows what made people tune in to this one as it is mediocre at best. The serial gave Nadeem Siddiqui his first major success, and rumors are that he is considered a powerhouse in the channel. This serial started on a slow note, but ultimately packed a punch. Good Job!

Laaj

The star-power of Moammar Rana and Resham gave TVOne a hit when the likes of Band Khirkiyon Kay Peechay failed. Laaj received stiff competition from other channels, but maintained its own averaging a rating of 0.8.

Ishk e Mamnu

This is one of the few that were able to grab eyeballs from the first go. Gorgeous women, handsome men and breathtaking locales are credit for Ishk e Mamnu that averaged a rating of 2.5. As per reports, channel expected the other show (Isabella… )to get more ratings, but they were in for a good surprise. Get ready for desi vespin-offs of this soap that gave Urdu1 a major boost. Considering everything Ishk e Memnu is the biggest winner of the year.

by admin in Gossip Tags: hit dramas pakistani, pakistani dramas ratings, pakistani dramas top, pakistani tdramas trps

2 Comments

1. ali
    Dec 01, 2012 @ 04:28:51

Thakan is best, then is Mi raqsam followed by ishk e mamnu and kaafir, then manjali and yahan pyar nahin hai and lastly aks. Meri ladli is worst!

2. abcd
    Dec 01, 2012 @ 09:52:01

Some are shocking hits, lol. Thanks for the great piece!

Leave a Reply

Your Name *

Your Email *

Your Website

Anti-Spam Quiz: 3+3=

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

BlackStar. thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
I have a question..
How did Meri Ladli make such a big record?
And it's not because it broke Humsafar's record, but I'm just generally wondering majority of the people I know who mostly don't even watch drama's still watched Humsafar yet know nothing about Meri Ladli.. It had wayy less viewers.. How did it manage to break the record then?
Edited by BlackStar. - 11 years ago
xpakigirlx thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
who wrote this article..one salute to that person🤢
starstruckk thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: BlackStar.

I have a question..
And it's because it broke Humsafar's record, but I'm just generally wondering majority of the people I know who mostly don't even watch drama's still watched Humsafar yet know nothing about Meri Ladli.. It had wayy less viewers.. How did it manage to break the record then?

It could be that at a certain time, Meri Ladli had no competition and people had nothing better to watch but Meri Ladli. Thus, it brought in viewers...that's a guess.

starstruckk thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Yahaan Pyar Nahin Hai did well..and it's surprising because Fahim Burney's dramas always suck. I was surprised to see Saba Qamar sign a drama with him as the director, but the drama actually did okay and it def has much to do with Saba Qamar's presence even though her role kept decreasing with every episode.

Same with Thakan. Saba's probably one of the very few actresses out there that can carry an entire drama on her shoulders without the help of star male actors.

Not sure how Mi Raqsam is even on that list..never heard of Laaj.

Oh yeah, Manjali was also surprising. It dragged in parts, but the performances were pretty could till the end.
Usman. thumbnail
other than bits and parts of Yahaan pyaar nahi hai & Ishq-e-manoo.. i have not seen any of the serials mentioned in this list
SyedaFaiza thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 4
meri ladli was worth watchng drama...

but

m astnshd why they didn't include mataaae jaan & humsafar ????????
Taify thumbnail
I need to clear. this is abt dramas that were not expected to be big, but they drew

Mata e jaan etc were always expected to be big... why would they be here?
simplytoxic thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: BlackStar.

I have a question..
And it's because it broke Humsafar's record, but I'm just generally wondering majority of the people I know who mostly don't even watch drama's still watched Humsafar yet know nothing about Meri Ladli.. It had wayy less viewers.. How did it manage to break the record then?

Weren't Humsafar and Maye Ni telecasting at the same time? Both were pretty good and gave each other tough competition. And maybe Meri Ladli didn't have any big competition...but still I have never understood how it can have broken any records...like u said, majority of the people I know have never heard about this drama.
itzMYattitude thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
meri laadli only play have watched from the list :p