Morgoth thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

Name: Anuradha Paudwal
Birthday: Thursday, January 01, 1970

< =text/> < src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js" =text/>

Biography

Anuradha Paudwal is one of the most talented playback singers in the history of Hindi films and perhaps one of the most controversial artistes. Her career started with the film Abhimaan starring Amitabh and Jaya Bachchan, the music director was S. D. Burman, though Lata Mangeshkar claims that Anuradha was given a break by her brother Hridhaynath Mangeshkar for a Marathi film. But it was Burmandada's film that got her the recognition of a singer.

Anuradha Paudwal was a student of Xavier's college who participated in the college's cultural programmes, but she did not have a background of film music. She married Arun Paudwal who was the music arranger of S. D. Burman.

In 1976 Anuradha got her big break for the film Kailcharan starring Shatrugan Sinha and Reena Roy. This Subhash Ghai film had music by Rajesh Roshan. Her first solo number was for the film Aap Beeti starring Hema Malini and ShashiKapoor and music by Laxmikant-Pyarelal, Anuradha Paudwal got some good numbers from the duo who were churning out hits one after the other. She also sang intermittently for other music directors such as Rajesh Roshan (Des Pardes), Jaidev (Dooriyan, Laila Majnu), Kalyanji-Anandji (Kalaakar, Vidhataa) and Usha Khanna (Souten, Sajan Bina Suhagan). Meanwhile her husband Arun Paudwal in the pair of Anil-Arun gave many hit numbers in Marathi films for which Anuradha sang some resplendent numbers in Marathi like Disatein Mazlaa (Ashtavinayak), Raja Lalkaari, Kaalya Maatita Maatitaa, etc.

Anuradha Paudwal became a singer to reckon with when she rendered some exceptional numbers for the film Hero, music by Laxmikant-Pyarelal. Her song for Mere Mann Bajaa Mirang Utsav won her the first Filmfare award in 1985.

She also came into focus when she challenged Lata Mangeshkar's claim to having recorded the maximum number of songs in a single day. She also accused the Mangeshkar sisters for indulging in monopoly. This outspoken nature at times landed her in trouble as the music directors of the industry feared to face the wrath of Lata Mangeshkar and Asha Bhonsle and they often avoided Anuradha Paudwal. Many a times Anuradha's songs were dubbed by Lata such as Main Teri Dushman (Nagina) and many such songs.

Since her career was not making any headway, she joined hands with Gulshan Kumar who was about to bring a revolution in the music industry. Her success streak began from the film Lal Dupatta Malmal Ka, Tezaab, Ashiqui, Meera Ka Mohan, Dil Hai Ke Manta Nahin , Ram Lakhan, etc. Her success in a way set a trend for the singers, such as Kavita Krishnamurthy, Alka Yagnik and Sadhana Sargam, who started getting better songs to sing and through T-series Anuradha Paudwal brought the playback singers into focus. Her new found status also got her involved in some controversies like dubbing songs of her contemporaries' (the infamous dubbing of Alka Yagnik's songs of the films Dil and more recently Itihaas), also her much rumoured affair with Gulshan Kumar. Her dominance in the T-series had fueled the rumours.

Despite the controversies, Paudwal continued to conquer new horizons and winning accolades (Anuradha has won three Filmfare awards in a row for Aashiqui, Dil Hai Ki Manta Nahin and Beta). She was on the verge of being the next Lata Mangeshkar. Even the legendary composer O P Nayyar commented, "Lata is finished, Anuradha has replaced her." During this period, everything seemed to be working for the singer who left her contemporaries far behind. Kavita Krishnamurthy has always stated that, "Among my counterparts (Alka Yagnik, Kavita Krishnamurthy, Sadhana Sargam, etc.) Anuradha is the best singer." At her peak Anuradha Paudwal announced that she would exclusively sing for T-series only. This stand benefited Alka Yagnik who just zoomed to the top with her newfound association with Nadeem-Shravan and Anu Malik, who had stopped composing for Gulshan Kumar due to some differences. As she stopped singing songs for films and concentrated more on devotional and cover-version albums, she harmed her immensely successful career. For almost five years, Anuradha Paudwal did not sing for many films and for any other music company.

Filmography

Films

Year

Previously Released

Kalyug

Murder

Paap

Shakti : The Power

Badhaai Ho Badhaai

Lajja

Deewane

Pukar

Bulandi

Dil Kya Kare

Daag: The Fire

Hum Aapke Dil Mein Rehte Hain

Bade Miyan Chote Miyan

Pyar Kiya To Darna Kya

Aur Pyar Ho Gaya

Classic

Sahibaan

Beta

Sangeet

Saajan

Ram Lakhan

Sada Suhagan

Meri Jung

<<Source: http://bollywoodvillage.com/celebrity-detail.asp?cid=189.>>

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Morgoth thumbnail
This is one very talented singer who is no longer in the limelight. I am surprised that she stopped singing much for films.

Going to see if I can find some more articles on her.
uknaik99 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Yes... Anuradha is a very talented songer.. but had very contrversial personal life...

I don't like her much.. but like her in Dil hai Ke maan tha nahi songs..

Thanks for sharing 😊 😊
Morgoth thumbnail

http://www.hindilyrix.com/singers/singer-anuradha-paudwal.ht ml

Anuradha Paudwal

Profession: Playback Singer, Bollywood.
Family: Husband Arun Paudwal

It is only recently that she started rendering songs for companies outside T-series. After the brutal murder of Gulshan Kumar, her hold over T-series diminished. Anuradha Paudwal has started singing outside T-series and met with lukewarm response. So far she has given a few hits like 'Kismat Se Tum'(Pukar), 'Akeli Hai Yeh Mis Khiladi' (Mr & Mrs Khiladi), 'Zara Aankhon Se Kajal' (Hum Aapke Dil Mein Rehtein Hai), 'Chaha Hai Tujhko' (Mann) and 'Jogiya' (Deewane). But only time will tell if this talented crooner can regain her past glory. Yes she was on the verge of becoming next Lata ....

Awards:
Award Song - Movie
Filmfare Award - 1990 Nazar Ke Saamne - Aashiqui
Filmfare Award - 1991 Dil Hai Ke Manta Nahin - Dil Hai Ke Manta Nahin
Filmfare Award - 1992 Dhak dhak - beta
(Pretty much the same article, except for an extra paragraph, which I've included)
Morgoth thumbnail

Originally posted by: uknaik99

Yes... Anuradha is a very talented songer.. but had very contrversial personal life...

I don't like her much.. but like her in Dil hai Ke maan tha nahi songs..

Thanks for sharing 😊 😊

Never knew much about her personal life. Am finding out more about it now.

Morgoth thumbnail

By Shivani Bhakoo

"I owe my success to singing. I will be singing throughout my life. Singing is everything to me — my love, my passion and my God'', proclaims Anuradha Paudwal, renowned playback singer of the country. She was talking to The Tribune, during a short visit to Ludhiana to perform at a Bhagwati jagran held at the College Road recently. Anuradha has been singing as a playback singer in the movies for the past 25 years, but her debut as a devotional singer came just by chance about 12 years back. She has experienced some memorable moments as a playback singer. She revealed that success had not come to her by chance. She had to struggle to get it. A very simple and docile Anuradha, who was wearing a bright orange-coloured saree, said, ''It took me so many years and I have worked hard to get this position''. She pointed out that one had to rely on directors, producers and artistes for playback singing, but devotional songs were different. One was generally independent while singing bhajans. She justified herself and said, ''You get confidence when you have to sing on your own. And the result is also better. You get both appreciation and satisfaction''.

She has sung a number of songs recently for the film ''Dhai Akshar Prem Ke''. Her son, Aditya, has also been composing for his mother. She has sung for a music video called ''Ishq Hua'', which was released about four months back.

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2000/20001222/art-trib.htm#6

Morgoth thumbnail
SPOT LIGHT

Anuradha Paudwal, the No.1 female playback singer
of the current generation, air her strong opinions on

ust looking at Anuradha Paudwal one easily gets the impression of her as a housewife. She looks very pleasant, dressed -in simple sarees all the time, with a bindi on her forehead. She is also very religious.
   But get her to speak on her favourite topic -,music -and all your earlier illusions would be shattered.
   In her crystal clear voice which has that undescribable bell-like quality, she spoke with feeling of how music has been neglected in India. And she came out with very firm opinions, or, rather, convictions, starting off with one topic very close to her heart - her son.

y son was born prematurely. He was in an incubator for 40 days. Before I took him home, the doctor told me, 'I want him to listen to one hour of classical music every day. Pure classical music, something very soothing, in a very low tone.' I found it really helped him a lot. He started gaining in weight. And today, at four, my son is very, very, very fond of music.
   So I've really seen how music contributes to the well-being of a person. Today music is regarded purely as an entertainment. If only it could be used for curative purposes as well! The government should promote it.
   The government wants to promote Sanskrit because it is the mother language. I think Sanskrit shlokas should be presented through music. The majority of people are not aware of the power of these shlokas, Only yesterday I read about a yagna in Hardwar, where the Gayatri mantra was chanted, to clear up pollution. Music should be used as a medium to convey such things.
   I think in schools there should be more of music, not just for Sanskrit, for other topics too. Better than burdening them with too much work. All said and done, children learn film songs earlier than they learn A B C

and nursery rhymes. Right? They could instead do-their school lessons through music and there are so many good music teachers who could teach them,
   Then the style of dressing, I think it has a lot to do with music. The people of yesterday were used to simple music, they dressed simply. Today there is so much of that mod music...
   I may be wrong, but this is the way I feel, There was a time when people used to listen only to pure classical music. Their thinking was more religious, they were governed heavily by traditions.
   Established artistes like Lataji, Ashaji (I am in no way saying anything against them, it's just a suggestion) could record some shlokas. These shlokas have scientific value.
   I know I could do it too. I am doing what I feel I can do, like I have recorded Durga Saptashati, and recently Manati shloka. It's not that I haven't done anything and just talking about it, see. (Softly) It would change the people's thinking, turn more and, more of them to religion.

eople crib about film songs, etc, shown on TV. But then these folks are the ones mature enough to distinguish between good and bad. What about the three- four-year-olds, who imitate whatever they see? In a way it's harmless, compared to those serials on, drugs, etc.
   Today the only things on TV are serials, serials and yet more serials. Where is music gone? The 'Aarohi' programme, for instance. There was a time when we used to drop whatever we were doing to watch it. The 'Shaam-e-ghazal' programme is also out now. For the 'Aarohi' programme, one has to do them so many favours before they let you sing one song. And even then, they'll tell you, 'We'll see if we can squeeze it in between two

programmes.'
   That's not the way Indian music is to, be treated. It should be made compulsory to have at least one transmi ssion for children, where they can learn something, not just filmi dancing. The Panchatantra stories... they could be presented as cartoons, entertaining as well as educative. 
   There should be one transmission reserved for teaching music. So many aspiring singers ring me up, ask me where I learnt singing, they would like to learn from the same source, too. So one great teacher could reach out to so many students at the same time, through TV.
   There could be some. discourses on the Gita, not only telling you about it, but also how to apply it in your daily life today. That would be practical.  

oreigners are learning so much from Indian music, even the big artistes. Yehudi Menuhin for instance, comes here for new ideas. Our own people should do the same. I'm not talking  of those  who are already  doing it, I  just  mean it  should  be done  on a  much  greater scale. Like Hariji (Hariprasad Chaurasia), Shivji (Shiv Kumar Sharma),  they know  of  the effects  of  music. They could give lectures on TV. I've heard that Hariji goes  to schools,  talks to  children to  arouse  their interest in

music.

These things shouldn't be done in a dry manner, of course. Let there be entertainment. It should be presented in such a way that learning would be interesting. Take yoga; why is there a yoga wave now? It's because leading personalities like Rekha have taken it up in a big way.
   There are waves like this. But somebody has to take the initiative. Little-known things would become common knowledge. Like, if you say the note 'Sa' properly, the body is purified. It's true. How many people know that? Music is, after all, a kind of yoga.
   I am not saying children should learn only these things. History, geography are also important. But they should have a confident approach to learning.
    Pankaj, Anup are already well-known. If they took this up, they would be doing us a great service and, in fact, their popularity would even increase.
   I wish every artiste would adopt at least one child. In the sense they would pay for their expenses. There are so many institutions looking after children ... People would love the artiste even more. Maybe there are some such persons we don't know about. But 1 wish more and more of them would come forward.
   In fact, if there was some music association, there would be less to complain about.
                                                                 BY SIMA CARRI

http://www.studio-systems.com/Playback&Fastforward/PlayB ack/1988/august/33%20August.htm

Morgoth thumbnail
THE ANURADHA     FACTOR

Will it upset the playback scene?

FILMS

MUSIC

TELEVISION

PHOTO GALLERY

ARCHIVES

HOME

INTERVIEW Anuradha Paudwal's return to playback-singing has led to a lot of speculation. Not just among her rivals but also others in the music industry. Is she merely out to regain her position at the top, or is she in search of the kind of clout that will help Super Cassettes consolidate it position on the music scene once again? A few months ago, when trade mags reported that Anuradha Paudwal would be singing for films once again, there was rejoicing, and also consternation in certain circles. While composers like Rajesh Roshan and even Nadeem, who is now hostile towards Super Cassettes, welcomed her as a great asset ("because she is one of the most versatile singers around today"), some of the playback singers seemed a bit uncomfortable. Apparently, because of the clout she was bound to wield with the backing of a major music company (super cassettes) which is once again poised to make it to the centrestage in music business. This fear was also fomented by Anuradha Paudwal's resourcefulness. Besides being a first-rate singer, she is endowed with an uncanny sense of popular music. To give the devil her due, Anuradha had played no mean role in the music revolution masterminded by Gulshan Kumar and Super Cassettes, notwithstanding the ethics of his marketing strategy. Lal Dupatta Mal Mal Ka and Ashiqui were pathbreakers, the latter, discovering a market which until then very few knew existed. Their success was as big a tribute to Anuradha Paudwal's musical acumen as to Anand-Milind's and Nadeem-Shravan's respectively. Lal Dupatta..., incidentally, was born out of a desire to sing a few "really good" songs, as Anuradha recalls. "I had joined hands with Anand-Milind to bring out an album of love songs," she says. "When the songs topped the charts, the idea of a film happened." Ashiqui was a continuation of the innovative process. Though Lal Dupatta didn't work as a film, Ashiqui directed by Mahesh Bhatt was a success — mostly because of the music. The film was like one long chitrahar interrupted by the romantic interludes of Anu Agarwal and Rahul Roy. The songs that didn't fit into Aashiqui, found their way to another Bhatt film (produced by Gulshan Kumar), Dil Hai Ki Maanta Nahin, a Pooja Bhatt-Aamir Khan starrer. Dil Hai Ki Manta Nahin saw Anuradha Paudwal and Gulshan Kumar in the eye of a storm, thanks to the now infamous game of dubbing. Gulshan Kumar's face-off with a "high-handed" Kumar Sanu led to most of his songs being dubbed, some of them by Anuradha herself. Earlier, Anuradha had caused a stir by dubbing some popular numbers from Indra Kumar's Dil, originally rendered by Alka Yagnik. The stupendous success of Ashiqui, Dil Hai Ki Manta Nahin, Dil and Saajan put Anuradha in an enviable position among female playback singers. It was, in a way, the culmination of a long struggle, which had begun with a haunting alaap in the Jaya-Amitabh starrer Abhiman under SD Burman in 1973. It was a period dominated by the Mangeshkar sisters, Lata and Asha. However, as dramatically as she had risen to the top, Anuradha decided to chuck it all up one fine day. "I have made my point," she argued with those who questioned her incredible decision in disbelief. "Now I want to do what I enjoy doing, at my own pace." What she enjoyed doing was bringing out a series of devotional albums. With Super Cassettes moving out of the film music scene, she thought, she wouldn't be too comfortable working outside. It was as if she could sense the confusion that was about to confound the world of film music. It is ironical that Anuradha's second innings should have begun with a repetition of a dubbing controversy, with an aggrieved Alka Yagnik once again questioning the ethics of already released songs being dubbed (It had happened before in Dil). But Anuradha is too cool to the charges. It's like a kettle calling the pot black, she smiles dismissively. She sees the whole controversy as a manifestation of insecurity (see interview). Can Anuradha Paudwal's comeback disturb the prevailing equations in the playback scene? Not many are willing to hazard a conjucture. Nobody wants to stick his neck out. "There are a number of singers these days and the competition is fierce," avers a diplomatic Anu Malik, who has already recorded two songs with Anuradha — one for Khauf and another for Mr & Mrs Khiladi. "Alka and Kavita are already there, strongly entrenched, and there are a few talented new singers making their presence felt. I have introduced a girl called Sanjeevani, who is very good. I find Hema Sardesai good too." Will Anuradha be able to recapture her position at the top? Anu sleeps over the question. And reacts nearly four hours later, "She is a fantastic singer," he says. "She has sung my Khauf song exceptionally well." Alka seems nonchalant about the difference Anuradha's comeback would make to playback scene. "I don't think it will make much of a difference," she says. "I had made a niche for myself when she (Anuradha) was very much there. I had worked my way up against strong competition. So I am not perturbed. In any case, I mostly sing youthful numbers." Kavita Krishnamoorthy, who has been going neck-to-neck with Alka in recent times, is more pragmatic. "It depends on the kind of clout Super Cassettes manages to wield," she says. "And the number of films they take on. Anuradha is bound to be the first choice to sing for all films whose music rights are with Super Cassettes. Ideally, the composer should decide who should sing a particular song but that's not how things work here. It's the music companies which take all the decisions." About her own position she says, "I have been mostly singing songs with a light classical base. I rank third when it comes to singing romantic numbers and duets, though I do enjoy singing them whenever I get a chance. I think, Anuradha will affect Alka the most, because she has been singing most of the romantic numbers." Tips and Venus have shown strong loyalties towards Alka Yagnik in the past few years. In the last couple of years, however, Kavita has strengthened her presence considerably especially after her brilliant numbers in 1942-A Love Story and later Khamoshi - The Musical. Kumar Taurani of Tips and Ganesh Jain of Venus claim that they would have no problems getting Anuradha to sing for their company. She has already sung for Tips' Bade Miyan Chhote Miyan and Dehak. "She is an excellent singer," says Taurani, "and it's up to the music directors to decide if they want her to sing for them." Jain doesn't think that Anuradha's reentry would lead to cold-blooded rivalry. "Today, the music scene is like an ocean. There's enough room for everyone," he says. Besides Tips, Anuradha has already sung for Venus and HMV. With Super Cassettes pitching for the music rights of a large number of new films (they already have on hand about 20 films including five from ABCL), it shouldn't be long before Anuradha makes her presence felt. Jatin, of Jatin-Lalit duo of composers, agrees with Taurani and Jain that music companies other than Super Cassettes should have no reservations about getting Anuradha to sing for them. "As far we are concerned, there will be no interference," says Jatin. "ABCL's Loveria wasn't with Super Cassettes when we got Anuradha to sing. The film went to them later. The day we heard that she was open to singing for films again, we approached her. The song she sang for us has turned out so good that when Pyareji (Pyarelal) heard the song he couldn't believe that it was the same Anuradha Paudwal." Jatin regrets that Anuradha's comeback should be shrouded in a controversy. "I think she shouldn't have dubbed Alka's songs. Such things lead to unnecessary hostility." But hostility, feels Anuradha, has always baulked her. "People here don't like competition," she says somewhat cynically. But she is prepared for the battle. To reclaim what she had voluntarily surrendered. Why did you make a sudden decision to return to playback singing after being away for seven years? Wherever I went people kept asking me why I had given up singing. They were film buffs who only listened to film music, and didn't know I was singing a number of non-film songs. Their concern set me thinking. And then, Super Cassettes which had been going slow on film titles, was once again back into film music. So I thought it was the right time to reconsider my earlier decision. Why did you quit in the first place? Your decision, when you were right on top, seemed to intrigue a lot of people. There wasn't a dramatic reason at all. I felt, I had had enough and wanted to do my own thing. I wanted to bring out a series of devotional albums. Super Cassettes was also moving away from film music and film production at that juncture. The market situation had got distorted, with too many players invading the field. When you decided to make a comeback, why did you have to do so on a controversial note — by dubbing Alka's songs in Itihaas? It's generally being seen as a move to grab attention. I didn't have to do anything of the sort for attention. I had quit on my own when I was doing extremely well, and left the field wide open. I didn't have any great desire to tread on Alka's toes. But what happened has a history behind it. I want to clear things once and for all. On the eve of the release of Itihaas, the producers of the film approached Gulshanji and said they were very unhappy with the marketing of the cassettes of the film (The music rights of the film were with ABCL). Though the film was about to be released, the music hadn't picked up. So could he do something to salvage the situation? Gulshanji offered to take up the marketing only if he was free to get some of the songs dubbed to improve the quality. The producers agreed and that was how I came into the picture. If everything was all right and the music was doing well, why would the producer approach Gulshanji? After everything was sorted out, I was contacted by the music directors of the film, Sameer Sen-Dilip Sen, to dub threes songs. They also got Hariharan to dub a song originally sung by Kumar Sanu. But nobody is questioning the ethics of it. More than the dubbing, the reaction seems to have been directed at my comeback. I was told that some of the interested parties had got together to work out a strategy to "greet" me when the news of my recording my first film song, after nearly seven years, was out. Apparently, Alka has said somewhere that I have tried to throttle her career by dubbing the Itihaas songs. I didn't know her career depended on those three songs. I don't understand why such controversies begin and end with Anuradha Paudwal? Nobody said a thing when Lataji dubbed a Kavita Krishnamoorthy number in 1942: A Love Story. And Alka herself has dubbed Kavita's song in Premgranth. I see insecurity behind such tirades. If you have an identity and people know your worth, nobody can ignore you. When I decided to comeback to sing in films people who mattered welcomed me. But Nadeem has said that he and Shravan won't work with you. That's upto them. What can I do about it? Apparently, he is bugged because Super Cassettes went back on the initial commitment and dumped his private album Hi Ajnabi. To put the record straight, the manner in which Nadeem sold Hi Ajnabi to Gulshanji was dubious. He approached me first and said we should do an album of love songs on the lines of Ashiqui. 'Let's recreate the Ashiqui magic,' he said. I was game. I discussed it with Gulshanji and he was open to the idea. Then, without telling me, he (Nadeem) quietly went and sold his Hi Ajnabi to Gulshanji. He was later upset because the hoarding announcing his album didn't go up in time. He was himself involved in the artwork for the hoarding, and it wasn't ready in time. Gulshanji couldn't wait forever to release the cassette and that seemed to upset Nadeem. So, after recording three songs with me for Ashiqui II, he began stalling. He told Gulshanji that he would record with me only after his hoarding was put up. I am very hurt by his behaviour. How have the other composers reacted to your comeback? They seem happy. I have recorded with Jatin-Lalit, Anu Malik and Rajesh Roshan, and it has been absolutely fine. Since you're attached to Super Cassettes, will you sing for other music companies like Venus and Tips? Why not? It depends on the composers. If they want me to sing, I will, for any company. I have already sung for Tips, Venus and HMV. But only film songs. I will be doing non-film albums only for Super Cassettes. In your 'tribute' series, you have mostly chosen Lata Mangeshkar's favourite composers, and sung all her immortal numbers. Was it an attempt to upstage her with a vengeance?

I don't think it's fair to say that. Did anybody say Lata Mangeshkar was trying to upstage KL Saigal or Amirbai Karnataki when she brought out the Shradhanjali series? I genuinely admire the work of composers like SD Burman, Madan Mohan and Roshan. I have grown up admiring their immortal numbers, so why can't I pay them a tribute? I wish people would stop attributing motives to me.

http://www.screenindia.com/jul11/cover.htm

paljay thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Thanks T.

It seems she had a sad and controversial life story and lot of struggle.

God bless her.
paljay thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Anuradha Paudwal

Belief in your talent can work wonders

My parents were quite conservative and did not encourage my love for singing since they believed it wasn't the right profession for a girl from a good family. (They were always a little suspicious about the film industry since the only person they knew from the industry was a guy who had thrown away his life to drink!). In fact, it was my father-in-law who had great faith in my abilities. My husband was already assisting S D Burmanda. Once, he recorded a Sanskrit 'shloka' in my voice to get the tune approved from Burmanda, who liked my voice so much he retained it on the final soundtrack of 'Abhimaan'. A lot of people to date are surprised to learn that that voice wasn't Lata's!