144398 thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago

< ="" method=post> </>
Neetu Chandra

I have a long way to go!
She began her career with Priyadarshan's Garam Masala. Though her role was small, she was noticed. The actress will now be seen in Madhur Bhandarkar's The Signal. Neetu says that she has a long way to go as an actress. "But I am grateful Madhur for trusting me with such a wonderful script in The Signal," she smiles. Over to the actress—

Parag Maniar

Coming from a middle class family in Mumbai, Neetu always aspired to be an actress. She has modeled for quite a few products and is trained kathak dancer. "Of course besides dancing I practise yoga. It makes me experience peace," she says. Priyadarshan's Garam Masala was Neetu's first film. "Though I was in a small role, I got noticed. By now everybody knows that Garam Masala revolved around three airhostesses whom Akshay Kumar flirts with.
And how we all land up in his house together was what the film was all about. There was also Akshay's fianc to add to the drama. I learnt a lot from director Priyadarshan especially the art of doing comic scenes. Comic scenes are the most difficult to perform because your timing has to be right and that way I learnt a lot from Priyadarshan. I also felt that I should make a debut by doing a comedy film because once you a master at it I think all other aspects of acting become relevantly easy."

Today Neetu is looking forward to The Signal. How did she bag the film? "Well I am one of the those actresses who does not mind approaching the director for work. I had read in a newspaper that Madhur Bhandarkar was looking for an actress to play the lead in The Signal. In the interview he had said that he wanted someone like Smita Patil to do this role. I thought, "What is the harm in approaching! At the most he would turn me down saying that I would not suit the role." And that was okay by me. I called him. He told me to meet him. He then screen tested me. And the next thing I know is that I was in the film. Madhur said that I was just the way he had imagined the character to be with a very Smita Patil look to it. And that I thought was the biggest compliment I had received."

Neetu has almost completely the film. "Most of the film has been shot at Karjat. Set designer Nitin Desai has erected a mini Mumbai there. I play the role of a Kathiawadi woman in the film. The character has runaway from home in Saurashtra to find some work in Mumbai. But getting work is not so easy, she realizes. She has no option but to beg for alms on the highway signal."

Neetu says that playing the character did take its toll on her. "You know I have come across such woman on highway signals and I can now easily relate to the turmoils they go through. I really wonder what is it about this city that keeps them going even whne they find it difficult to make two ends meet. But I am grateful to Madhur for giving me this role. This is one of the most fabulous roles that I have done that too when I am just one film old. Roles like these are given to actresses when they have completed 6-7 films. I am lucky that I got to do this role so early in my career."

Neetu reveals that she is on the brink of siging another big film. "But it is too early to say anything."