Asad Ahmed Khan- a simple traditional guy!

rrk401 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago
Ok so the why doesnt asad wear a kurta all the time when he tells his sister to do that post has become quite popular on the forum. While some people are like OMG, ITS AN OFFICE, WHO WEARS A KURTA TO AN OFFICE? others are like HE IS JUST OVERPROTECTIVE SO WHATEVER HE SAYS MAKES SENSE!

I know older brothers are generally over protective but Asad definitely does appear a bit conservative in this scene. Since, this show has an islamic back drop the scene with najma touched upon a very sensitive topic. 

So, here is my take on the whether Asad is an over protective hypocrite or not. I'm trying to explore Asad's psyche 😛

Islam has laid out an appropriate dress code for both males and females and over the years the culture of the subcontinent has merged with these guidelines to form norms about appropriate dressing for muslims in the subcontinent. So, its generally considered fine for men to wear western clothes because it highly abides by the guidelines given in Islam. However, whether western clothes are ok for females to wear have been the core of many debates and there are a lot of interpretations intertwined with this debate. Some consider it perfectly fine for women to wear jeans as long as they are covered. I'm studying at a university in england and see many arab girls who are very religious, cover their hair but wear jeans because their logic is that, they are technically covered from head to toe. However, muslims in the subcontinent have merged a lot of their culture with their religion. So, shalwar kameez, which essentially a native to the sub continent and NOT islam has become synonymous with modest dressing for women because to them jeans and tops have become synonymous with the western world which doesnt follow their culture and religion.

I think Asad is a man of norms. Its just the traditions and culture of bhopal.. Any other man could behave like that despite their religion!

His purab, paschim dialogue most importantly showed how he thinks norms, traditions and cultures are very significant. He plays the guitar, that isn't what staunch muslims would do. Hence, religion does not dictate what this man does, His theory in life is beyond religion. Its based on his upbringing, which religion is a part of, BUT, his society and his circumstances have also shaped his personality.

My conclusion is, Asad is on the whole as religious as the general modern muslim youth of pakistan and India. I.E He isn't that staunch a muslim. What differentiates him and makes him conservative is not religion, but the immense significance he places on norms and values associated with religion in the subcontinent., where unfortunately, its easier to revise the norms associated with men but women are still expected to be strictly tied to their culture and everything else is somehow deemed immodest without going into its logic.

Thats why, he cant get himself to allow his sister to go clubbing wearing western clothes. Thats the culture he blindly follows. This culture, sadly. has a lot of flaws and hopefully zoya will amend his thought process.
Edited by rrk401 - 11 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

crazy4KASH_AR thumbnail
Wow what a wonderful thread...
I loved your views a lot.
Reserving the place for now.
My fingers are paining now.
I'll edit it tomorrow.
I hope you don't mind...
payalibm thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: rrk401

Ok so the why doesnt asad wear a kurta all the time when he tells his sister to do that post has become quite popular on the forum. While some people are like OMG, ITS AN OFFICE, WHO WEARS A KURTA TO AN OFFICE? others are like HE IS JUST OVERPROTECTIVE SO WHATEVER HE SAYS MAKES SENSE!

I know older brothers are generally over protective but Asad definitely does appear a bit conservative in this scene. Since, this show has an islamic back drop the scene with najma touched upon a very sensitive topic. 

So, here is my take on the whether Asad is an over protective hypocrite or not. I'm trying to explore Asad's psyche 😛

Islam has laid out an appropriate dress code for both males and females and over the years the culture of the subcontinent has merged with these guidelines to form norms about appropriate dressing for muslims in the subcontinent. So, its generally considered fine for men to wear western clothes because it highly abides by the guidelines given in Islam. However, whether western clothes are ok for females to wear have been the core of many debates and there are a lot of interpretations intertwined with this debate. Some consider it perfectly fine for women to wear jeans as long as they are covered. I'm studying at a university in england and see many arab girls who are very religious, cover their hair but wear jeans because their logic is that, they are technically covered from head to toe. However, muslims in the subcontinent have merged a lot of their culture with their religion. So, shalwar kameez, which essentially a native to the sub continent and NOT islam has become synonymous with modest dressing for women because to them jeans and tops have become synonymous with the western world which doesnt follow their culture and religion.

I think Asad is a man of norms.

His purab, paschim dialogue most importantly showed how he thinks norms, traditions and cultures are very significant. He plays the guitar, that isn't what staunch muslims would do. Hence, religion does not dictate what this man does, His theory in life is beyond religion. Its based on his upbringing, which religion is a part of, BUT, his society and his circumstances have also shaped his personality.

My conclusion is, Asad is on the whole as religious as the general ever you said a modern muslim youth of pakistan and India. I.E He isn't that staunch a muclim. What differentiates him and makes him conservative is not religion, but the immense significance he places on norms and values associated with religion in the subcontinent., where unfortunately, its easier to revise the norms associated with men but women are still expected to be strictly tied to their culture and everything else is somehow deemed immodest without going into its logic.

Thats why, he cant get himself to allow his sister to go clubbing wearing western clothes. Thats the culture he blindly follows. This culture, sadly. has a lot of flaws and hopefully zoya will amend his thought process.

bold@red ...what you said above is quit conflicting...for me atleast...if islam has given the freness to human race without descremnating a sex of human then again asad is wrong as his sister is also a freee soul to do and act as he is free to do and act...if he can say to shi sister a palce where one has to change his attire for the place and leave his\her culture r tradtion then the place is not worth...then why cant this be on him...which board meeting swetuuu...which business class has rules darling ke one has to wear the western 2 piece or 3 piece attire...thats quit hillarious for me...now in bold red... he is nto following a culture blindly but a tradition blindly where tradition for female is different and for male is different... culture makes our cast..it spreads the seed of basic teaching and knowledge...culture is soem thign to cheirsh and never to be forgoten and its the most beautiful aspect of any cast as this culture shapes the one's cast...and there way of leaving the life in peace and harmony... and evry culture has deep meaning for its existence with only one thing in it...always one way or other helping humans in need and situation or for the benifit of humanity...
                                                                                                 but...
tradition can be good can be exttreme bad...if its a bed of roses in some point then its mostly a path full of thorn...tradition some time helps humans.but to some group and might dissagredable to another part of group... and most of time it is as much cheep and unspeakbale for... tradition is made by humans for there selfish reason...the tradition which can place them in eye of some people near god or opposite to god too some time...traditon has no meaning and no based values...it stands in the air always and shakes and always needs the support of other to be stand high and rise... where as culture in itself is a pillar of one's society itselfff...
so welll what i meant to say is he(asad) is following tradition...and that tradition where he thinks of things acording to his need and taste and thoughts...like in his sister case...which was highly dissapointed scene for me...😔
FireSafireFiree thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 8
To be honest, I don't see why the word Islam religion comes in at all...

Because ashad is typical Indian minded guy. This is culture let that be any religion in India.
If you take Islam or hindu guy, they surly wouldn't want tere sister to go to night club wearing small cloths or come home in middle of the night unless they are very western or English.

Wearing triditional cloths in India represent there culture and shows a girls modesty. They are not English who can we're short infront of there brother or father!!!
So here we are seeing typical Indian protective guy...

That's my take... It's culture than any religion...

If ashad told Nazma to we're head scuff etc... Than I would say its religious... And that can be argued tout here... I see nothing except a simple soap with just simply religion being changed... So why so much inputs of religion?

Enjoy the show!
Edited by FIRESafiReFIRE - 11 years ago
rrk401 thumbnail

Originally posted by: payalibm

bold@red ...what you said above is quit conflicting...for me atleast...if islam has given the freness to human race without descremnating a sex of human then again asad is wrong as his sister is also a freee soul to do and act as he is free to do and act...if he can say to shi sister a palce where one has to change his attire for the place and leave his\her culture r tradtion then the place is not worth...then why cant this be on him...which board meeting swetuuu...which business class has rules darling ke one has to wear the western 2 piece or 3 piece attire...thats quit hillarious for me...now in bold red... he is nto following a culture blindly but a tradition blindly where tradition for female is different and for male is different... culture makes our cast..it spreads the seed of basic teaching and knowledge...culture is soem thign to cheirsh and never to be forgoten and its the most beautiful aspect of any cast as this culture shapes the one's cast...and there way of leaving the life in peace and harmony... and evry culture has deep meaning for its existence with only one thing in it...always one way or other helping humans in need and situation or for the benifit of humanity...
                                                                                                 but...
tradition can be good can be exttreme bad...if its a bed of roses in some point then its mostly a path full of thorn...tradition some time helps humans.but to some group and might dissagredable to another part of group... and most of time it is as much cheep and unspeakbale for... tradition is made by humans for there selfish reason...the tradition which can place them in eye of some people near god or opposite to god too some time...traditon has no meaning and no based values...it stands in the air always and shakes and always needs the support of other to be stand high and rise... where as culture in itself is a pillar of one's society itselfff...
so welll what i meant to say is he(asad) is following tradition...and that tradition where he thinks of things acording to his need and taste and thoughts...like in his sister case...which was highly dissapointed scene for me...😔

Here's my argument restructured:
Islam tells girls and even guys to be covered up in certain guidelines. The crux is modesty.
Culture helps you interpret modesty differently. Whilst some may adapt to jeans being modest enough, other people might not. To Asad, its immodest. Its not about what place demands what attire. Its whether the attire, for whatever place, is immodest. So, Asad can choose between western clothes and kurtas because he abides by the dress code set by his religion AND culture. However, in his opinion, jeans are somehow immodest because they need an aberration from najma's daily attire and the population of bhopal, at large, wont be okay with it. Also, maybe the place she wished to go to plays a part in his decision.. :) So i dont think its hypocrisy, but it is a flawed opinion on Asad's part nevertheless. 

Cheers
rrk401 thumbnail

Originally posted by: FIRESafiReFIRE

Because ashad is typical Indian minded guy. This is culture let that be any religion in India.
If you take Islam or hindu guy, they surly wouldn't want tere sister to go to night club wearing small cloths or come home in middle of the night unless they are very western or English.

Wearing triditional cloths in India represent there culture and shows a girls modesty. They are not English who can we're short infront of there brother or father!!!

If ashad told Nazma to we're head scuff etc... Than I would say its religious... And that can be argued tout here... I see nothing except a simple soap with just simply religion being changed... So why so much inputs of religion?

Enjoy the show!

I defintely agree! Its culture. Havent lived in india so dont know what its like there in general but I really think its all about traditions rooted in the sub continent.
payalibm thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3

Enjoy the show!

exctlyyy... its a typical guy thing..no religion issue
well she wasnt asking short dress but jeans...and well liek i said evry male in house wants to be god of the house and whats his words to be the last full and final word and same with asad meyan... nothing indiferent from any male in all over india... and not givng persmision is entirely a fmaily isiue and there thoughts...
my disgrement is for the words he said and which he himself not preching...but as oyu pointed out so corectly typical inidian male(no cast discrmnation but TYPICAL INDIAN male)

lvly post darling you ahd here...infact you gave my words the exct meaning..typical indian male and india is full of colurfull cast all over...and lolzz yet there is sem thign similar in evry indian male...take hold and be the last word and same asad doing..whats new in it...too gooddd..tooo good buddyy 👏
bary thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
well asad is just overprotective about his sis just like a dad will be toward his daughter,he took the position of his dad and filling them
where as i dont agree with what he said Tehzeeb(Culture) duniya se ya kapodon se nahi dil se aur khayal se hoti hain
and about guitar thing i have seen muslims who play guitar but generally all of them resemble more of ayaan than asad,havent seen some one like asad playing guitar but show shayad may be there is some thing about it they may show in future
he dont wear suits to some divine place,so yeah i can ignore that
my only problem is woh bahut Coffee peeta hain yaar,too much caffeine,aur mug har jagah leke ghumtha hain...lol
nice topic

leafmaria thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Enjoy the show!

I agree with you, it is not the religion but the culture and the over protectiveness. Every older brother is protective over their little sister. Whether the brother is Muslim, Hindi or Western. They all are same. 
-Maria 
Hanz91 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: rrk401

I defintely agree! Its culture. Havent lived in india so dont know what its like there in general but I really think its all about traditions rooted in the sub continent.

Exactly! I agree too! It's more about the culture. Also the setting of the show is I think in Bhopal, if I'm right. I haven't been there but I think this city is more traditional!