Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Mauritian thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
great topic πŸ˜›

at the start i want to say that friendships are mostly about chemistry and trust, whether they are online or offline. we do not reach out to and connect with everyone out there to the same extent. and we make out that chemical connection easily when we talk and share views whether it is with people standing in front of us or over the net.

the main difference between the online friends and offline friends is that first you have met only in the virtual sense and there is a very small likelihood of meeting them in real life. therefore it may be easier to unburden yourself if there is something you are dying to remove from your system. this does not mean that this friendship is deeper than those in real life... infact if you manage to say the same thing to someone in real life then this must definitely include a lot of trust... or maybe you care for this person so much that you do not want to see him/ her hurt and upset because of your suffering or anxiety... yes the word may still pass around among other online friends .... maybe that is easier to bear, because we always have the option of switching off and getting lost in our anonymous worlds...

on the other hand this does not mean that all online friendships are superficial and selfish!! we have laughed about inane things on this forum and broken all age barriers!!! a 14 year old has an equal relationship with a 40 year old!! what is the likelihood of this happening in real life!!
Virgo_Stars thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
i'd say that when u have offline friends, u become their friend cause they are near u and u could meet them everyday or something but when u have an online friend, u are their friend cause u share the same intrests or want to be their friend.

i have many friends both online and offline and i trust all of them equally. friendship is the other name for trust so its useless to have friends that u don't trust...so i have full trust in all my online/offline friends 😊

Naina
prakriti thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
i really love this topic. i dont o much in the debate section but im realyy intersested in this topic.

recently, in my school and i guess all htorughout the US, there has been a huge uproar about teeens and online 'predators'. Infact, my mom has lectured me so much taht i even deleted my myspace. Now the fact is that i do somewhat believe that one should steer clear of online freinds, unless they really know them well. I have actually never met anyone that i met online and i never go in chat rooms. I have a ton of friends in real life nad im happy with them. But yes, i do have a few good freinds online. IF is the only place wher i actually talk to ppl i dont know. Ive just been placed in such a enviroment where i never talk to any1 i dont know and i always think before i act, which often takes out the adventure.

As for my IF friends, there are quite a few. Areej [pakigal34] and i actually converse over the phone and text each other. she lives in a town whihc is near mine and i know that she likes the same things as me. Aslo, it made it more real when i saw her pics and saw that she was just a normal girl who was interseted in the smae htings as me.

So ya, i do think taht growing too close to sum1 u have never met is a bad idea, but i dont think that its a bad idea if that person is like ur friend and u have some sort of evidence proving the fact that they exist and they arent lying abt who they are.

Prakriti
sweetrani_neha thumbnail

"Where to draw the line when it comes to trusting online and offline friends (real life)"

All of us have online friends and off line friends. Who do you trust more? Why?

I don't think I can generalize which I trust more. My best friend from offline I trust with my life... I've shared all my secrets, my happy and sad moments with her. I have countless friends from offline, more than from I-F, but the fact is there are some best friends I've made here whom I trust equally, many times if not more, than any offline friend... There are two or three close friends from I-F in particular who perhaps know me better than I know myself... whom I've told things to that I can't tell any offline friend. It's like Sneha said: trust comes from the heart, not from looking at one's face.

How do you know how and when to trust people you never met?

When I become friends with someone, I don't look at their location or the fact of whether I'm able to see them or not... and likewise, when I trust someone, I do so with my mind and heart... the feeling must be mutual and I believe if my friendship with them is genuine and I am completely comfortable talking and joking with them... trusts formulates itself and gradually becomes the basis of a friendship. Many times though it's just a gut feeling.... andar ki baat hai ;)

How much can you trust them?

Depending on the person, sometimes enough to share my day's events with... sometimes enough to find comfort in both joyous and heartbreaking moments with.... and sometimes enough to trust my life with.

What are the risks of online friendships? 

Well the obvious answer would be that you don't know who's sitting at the other end... Someone could be twice or half the age you think and the picture they showed you of themselves could be someone else for all you know..... However, the environment at India-Forums makes me think otherwise... the people here are just so friendly and warm and simply one of a kind... I am cautious when forming friendships at first but many times you can get to know a person via posts and attitudes towards others and through other friends you trust, not just via initially random personal messages, and ultimately it comes down whether you're comfortable talking to the person enough to open your heart to them.

Are off line friends always more trustworthy and reliable than online friends?

Always, No. I can name a handful of friends off the top of my head who've either betrayed my trust, weren't there for me when I needed them most, or hurt my feelings in ways I couldn't imagine. Here... I have yet to experience that with any of my true friends. Besides my best friend from offline, I trust my close friends on I-F more than any other friend from offline. It's simply a matter of how a person is from the heart, virtually extending their support and best wishes, not whether he or she is literally standing next to me or not.

Amazing discussion topic by the way!!

-Neha-

marvelous.malks thumbnail

"Where to draw the line when it comes to trusting online and offline friends (real life)"

Nice topic, firstly! πŸ‘

It depends.  According to me, if you think the person is trustworthy enough you can tell them things.  I would never give out any personal information about myself to anyone online that I hardly know.  For me, I can actually communicate with people better online then my friends that i meet every now and then.  There are some people both places that are not trustworthy or safe, and thats what we have to try to find out.  All my friends online are sweethearts and I can trust them all!  

Again, like i said i can sometimes relate to someone better online.  I think that I trust people equally.  There are some people online that I can, and then can't.  Same with my offline friends.! It simply depends on what kind of person your friend is, and how much you understand them.

I wouldn't just spill the beans in front of any random person that I've been chatting with for the past 30 mins.  There is no actual way of figuring out if the person is right, you just need to know how.  I always first judge them by the way they chat with you, and how they talk about things, people.  I just get a feeling that this is the right person. 

Well, there are my risks.  If you can't make out the difference between a person and give out your personal information, there is a lot of harm.  I've read and heard about soo many online scandels so I'm even more careful. 

Not always, No.  Offline friends don't have to be more trustworthy.  There are so many out there that pretend to be your friend, and are just looking for the right moment to stab you in the back, same with online friends.  You don't know whats going on in the back of their head, so just be careful.  I am personally more compfortable talking to my online friends, simply because we can relate to each other.  Its the matter of how your thoughts click.  The world is not like what Ekta Kapoor shows. πŸ˜‰

Cheerz,

Mallika-

blyton thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Wow, great topic!

To be honest, till i joined I-F nearly a year ago, i thought that ppl who made online friends were BIG losers who were lacking in skills to make friends in the real world, so they depended on the Internet to find someone to talk to!

However, my opinions have now undergone a significant change. I am quite a shy person in real life and prefer that the other person make the first move towards friendship; however, since i am also pretty aggressive, i don't stay friends with a person just because he/she latched on to me in the first place! I have some close offline friends whom i chose to stay with becasue our thinking gels.

The same rule applies to online friends: I choose to be friends with someone or not. As regards I-F, I first gauge the person through the opinions they express; if i find some similarity of thought, I PM them; and then after a few PMs, we decide whether we want to move on to a messenger service or not.

Honestly, i think that offline friendships are more meaningful than online ones, because as someone pointed out, there are a number of non-verbal indicators about their personality that are available only in a face-to-face meeting. I can't really say that the ppl whom i connect really well with online, would be the same to me if i met them in person. I prefer the online friendships to stay online.

On the flip side, there are some things that i have shared online that i wouldn't dream of mentioning before offline friends: i could not bear to face their reactions if tey didn't agree. Also, the Internet allows anonymity; you are sure that nothing you say will be fanned out alll over your acquaintance!

The best thing about online friends is that there are no barriers of age, gender, class, nationality, physical appearance etc, that come into play when we interact offline.

Eventually, it all boils down to your gut instinct; like in real life, you decide online whether a person is trustworthy or not. Personally, i won't share really intimate stuff with online friends; but then, i rarely do that with offline friends too! πŸ˜‰
shizajaved thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

All of us have online friends and off line friends. Who do you trust more?

I trust both [Onlyn nd Offlyn frens] equallyπŸ˜ƒ.Sum ov dem ave broken ma trust whether its ma onlyn fren or offlyn fren.But da prob is datπŸ˜‰πŸ˜†.. I trust ppl bery easilyπŸ˜›πŸ˜†.Nd frens.. woo0! I trust ma frens blindly😳

Why?

Because dey mean everything to meπŸ˜ƒ.I share my secrets nd everything more wid dem dan I share wid ma brothers or sumbody else, I guess.Because I trust dem.Nd dere r few things wich u cant share wid nebody else dan ur frens.

How do you know how and when to trust people you never met?

Trust cums frm heartπŸ˜ƒ.U get to noe in first meeting how da nxt person is!😊

πŸ€—---Dis much? Nah, more dan dis definitelyπŸ˜‰πŸ˜†

What are the risks of online friendships? Are off line friends always more trustworthy and reliable than online friends?

Yes maybe! Because v can rely on offlyn frens more coz v ave seen dem, v noe dem more, dey can't lie to us, sayin dat dey r of 20 nd came out to be 13, nd sayin dat I'm a girl nd came out to b a boySo dese r few things in wich v can definitely trust our offlyn frens more dan onlyn frens.But as I said before too, dat trust cums frm heart nd v get to noe who is who nd how mature a person is.. In de first meeting ON net OR face-to-face.

Brilliant topic πŸ‘πŸ˜³

Shiza.

Mishubaa thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

well i think it depends on wht kind of frnds u have.............i trust my online and offline frnds both.........i would like to share this tht i find sum really nice frnds online who ahve helped me in my probs and been there for me whenever i need help 😳 so i trust both ofthem [online n offline>

Why?

Well i trust them becoz i think they r sincere to me ..........i have had frnds online who r nice n rude .........some ppl have also told me tht real life os diff n ppl r different on net rather than i real life. BUt i think whatever u r it shows in ur chatting n the way u converse ..i know som ppl r naught on line but .........i ahve found some real goof frnds online when i talk to them if eel andimagine them ...........they r very honest and sincere to me........i feel tht becoz i truts them........ 😳

Well a lot some times more than offline frnds...........i can trust them becoz they r sincere to me n how do i knwo tht becoz when they talk to me i judge them whether they r pretending to be nice ........
As shiza said trust comes from heart............and it tells u when to beliven in sumone or not........
These days ppl fall in love online as well dont know how....but its becoz of trust ..........sumtimes it also not goood
😭 😭 😭

What are the risks of online friendships? Are off line friends always more trustworthy and reliable than online friends?
Well! agin it depends on wht kind of offline frnds u ahve..........i think the risks in online frndship is tht u cannot recognize the gender .........
n sumtimes they r ppl whom u know n they ask u personal stuff by imitating their identity........
ANd relying on offline frnds is like only when they ncie and sweet enugh to help u ............
In that case im lucky since i have online frnds who r very sweet n have helped me when i need them
Again its on ur trust whom u trust .........
n ur heart n soul tells u who to trust
but if sumone breaks ur trust than its very hard to again belive in sumone

Awesome topic.....................
very good for the forum.....since we all have tons of offline frnds sumone r more imp to use than offline frnds πŸ˜›

Edited by RAJEEVforAAMNA - 17 years ago
teenindia_usa thumbnail
it works the same way there are some great online pals I trust and havemade relations with as well..In terms of offline same is said..

Nice topic 😊
cholachick thumbnail

Offline[/]

Why?

I think knowing someone physically, you tend to find the answers by looking at one straight in the eyes, how they react through body language as well.

How do you know how and when to trust people you never met?

I do believe it's a risk all the way around, I feel once I've met my online friend and share a bond...this would resolve my curiosity.

I think one can trust anyone at any level....it all depends on the individual it self.

What are the risks of online friendships?

This depends on what you've said...if your business as well as your personal life is laid out on the table to your online friends...then "it can" be of great risk. somtimes we share the same online friends hmmm?

Are off line friends always more trustworthy and reliable than online friends?

I feel being behind a screen you are able to converse at any level. Your vulnerable to what's on the net and whom you come across. "YOU" will throw you inner most secrets to your online....because you feel..."they don't know you physically"...so spill all the beans, and wait for the aftermath. Like they say "good friends are hard to find"....(maybe that good trustworthy friend would be online) πŸ˜‰

Appreciate a great topic....this was discuss in my class and a lesson learned, take care!