Users

Frequent Posters

Nkapoor3 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 12 years ago

Shehr-e Zaat – Episode 8

Posted by SZ On August - 18 - 2012
5 Votes

Why is it that even after having gotten her heart's desire, Salman, Falak still feels unfulfilled? She was very familiar with his boorishness, so why does Salman's attitude bother her now? Though she had earlier assured Salman that her love would be enough for the two of them, why is she now yearning for more? Why is she haunted by doubts and misgivings? Why is she now annoyed with him and his mood swings? What is that indefinable something that still remains elusive?

The clue to understanding Falak's dilemma lies in naani's gentle reprimand: do not make Salman into something he's not; do not turn a mere mortal into divinity. He cannot give you all that you want, he cannot be all that you want. Salman is after all only human, warts and all, do not go look for perfection in him – he is not and cannot be perfect, that is an attribute reserved only for God. It is only to Falak's infatuated eyes that he appears flawless and special – otherwise he is as flawed and as ordinary as anybody else around her.

For Falak, naani's gentle rebukes and Rushna's well-meaning advice all fall on deaf ears. Asghar Gondvi's exquisite lyrics give voice beautifully to Falak's silent response to all these mashwaras: They who admonish me have not seen the one who is my haasil-e imaan; they have not seen my beloved the way I have. No matter how much other beauty might be around me, everything pales when compared to one sight of my beloved. The particular use of this poetry, referring to the poet's ecstatic description of the Beloved's beauty and his love for the Beloved – God, to highlight Falak's mindset, aptly reiterate naani's earlier reproof, Falak has equated Salman with divinity, put him on a pedestal and made him the master of her destiny. Lovely use of esoteric poetry in the background to substantiate the difference between majazi and haqeeqi, adding so much more depth to the onscreen narrative and tying up so many threads, without long preachy dialogues. Excellently done!

Suffice it to say, Falak dances to Salman's tune. One clumsy apology, one word of semi-praise from Salman is enough to raise her to the seventh heaven, and his temper tantrums fling her in to the deepest and darkest of abysses. Having lost all sense of self, so desperate is Falak that she is willing to go to any length to get Salman's love, including stopping as low as requesting the maid to bring her a taweez and dhaga, which would ostensibly keep Salman tied to her.

What Falak fails to realize is that while she is driving herself into a frenzy over Salman, there is so much else around her that she is taking for granted. Though she doesn't she see it that way, there is so much to be thankful for in her life. Rather than offering shukranas, for all the blessings which she's been showered with so generously, Falak takes it all in her stride as her due right. But again as naani points out to her daughter, there is an eventual hisaab for everything. All israaf, luxuries, over indulgences, useless expenses, all have to accounted for; whether rich or poor, all are equally answerable for their actions, words, and deeds.

Though both mother and daughter laugh off naani's words, one is left with a disquieting feeling that despite their easy dismissal, the day of reckoning is not as far as many of us might think it to be. Even though the servants feel they are only ones who are held accountable, it is actually the same for everyone across the board. In the eyes of God all are equal, whether one walks on foot or travels in a chauffeur driven car, all are same.

Shehr-e Zaat continues to mesmerize, enchant, and enthrall. Each episode opens up new avenues of reflection, taking us all a step further as we make the metaphorical journey from wujood to zaat, compelling an inward consideration of who we were, who we've become, and where do we go from here – truly a connoisseurs' delight. All actors are doing complete justice to their very complex characters. The technical and creative crews deserve applause for their efforts. Above all, kudos to Umera and Sarmad, the writer and the narrator, you guys keep hitting it out of the park every week!

Do I need to say I'm in love?

Written by SZ~ [email protected]
Follow me on Twitter: SZ_DramaPakistani (@sz_dp)

This website and its content is copyright of Dramapakistani.net - Drama Pakistani 2011. All rights reserved.
Any redistribution or reproduction of part or all of the contents in any form is prohibited You may not, except with our express written permission, distribute or commercially exploit the content. Nor may you transmit it or store it in any other website or other form of electronic retrieval system.
Email
You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 Response

1. Hammu Says:

You never miss to review Shehr-e-zaat.But MDKJZM and Zard Mausam were left un-reviewed.

Posted on August 18th, 2012 at 5:56 am

Leave a Reply

Name (required)

Mail (will not be published) (required)

Website

• POLLS

Top 10 Dramas of the season
    AshkShehr e ZaatBilqees KaurAnnie Ki ayegi BaratMerey Dard ko Jo Zuban MileySirat E MustaqeemYahan Pyar Nahi haiZard MausamSabz Pari Lal KabootarRoshan Sitara
  • CHANNEL 1

• CHANNEL 2

• CHANNEL 3

The video cannot be shown at the moment. Please try again later.

• CLASSICS

• OUR FRIENDS

• Ftech Solutions
MakhannMalaai thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
I don't know why I feel Salman's gonna fall in love with Falak's friend Rushna..
Rushna novel mein thi?
Yay falaks married!!! todays episode had some awesome dialogues!
but i dont get why it took 8 and a half episodes for falak and salman to get married when all of this could have been shown in 4 episodes!
MakhannMalaai thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: _QueenofHearts_

Rushna novel mein thi?

but i dont get why it took 8 and a half episodes for falak and salman to get married when all of this could have been shown in 4 episodes!

I don't know I haven't read the novel.. but I just feel somehow Salman will fall for Rushna..
starstruckk thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Today's episode was good. Mahira did well..and so did Mikaal. I like how they're showing that a girl is going after a guy who treats her like sh!t for the most part..because that's actually true. Girls like to go after guys that ignore them & that just increases the guy's ego and he treats her like crap. She takes all his nonsense because she feels she loves him and he loves her when it's totally not the case. The dialogue where Salman's like ..no one's going to look at you at the concert, everyone's going to be busy watching the singer was quite blunt! lol..at times I feel bad for Falak's character..she may be immature and all self absorbed but Salman's a jerk of a guy..and pretty bipolar I'd say. 😆 I think Mikaal's the perfect Salman...at this point, I can't see anyone playing it as well as him. He really does come across as a self centered jerk. lol

Edited by starstruckk - 12 years ago
starstruckk thumbnail

Originally posted by: -ChillMahaul-

I don't know I haven't read the novel.. but I just feel somehow Salman will fall for Rushna..

I believe someone here mentioned that in the novel..Salman does fall in love with another girl while being married to Falak...not sure with whom though.
Edited by starstruckk - 12 years ago
starstruckk thumbnail

Originally posted by: _QueenofHearts_

Rushna novel mein thi?

I think that would have seemed rushed. We all don't understand Falak's obsession with Salman to begin with..having them married off in 4 episodes would've left everyone startled & more confused to say the least. 😆
Wonderful episode and finally Falak is married however she's very naive. Salman seems to be the type who likes to have his own way without any consideration for anyone else. For example when Salman and Falak were looking at their new house, he had already decided which room would be their bedroom and she could only decorate it with his approval. A man like him can become really dangerous in the future becuase he starts controlling a women with small things for instance telling her he doesn't like something or make her feel bed all the time. In the end the women will be appoligising whether it's her fault or not. Slowly slowly he will break her down until she becomes his puppet doll. All the signs are there but Falak can't seem to see it. She can end up in big trouble. Once again I have to tell that I haven't read the novel and only speculating here.
Falak's Mum and Nani were having a discussion regarding wast of "rizq" in weddings. It is true how much we wast in one occasion. I know some things are necessary in weddings but some are absolutely not. For the sake of society we forget Allah. "Hamari naak na cut jaye" is more terrifying for people than the wrath of Allah. So sad!
When Salman was talking about going to a concert which was held by Falak's favourite singer...for some funny reason the first name that popped into my head was FAWAD! ROFL!!!! Don't know why but it just happened.
I loved the background music where Falak putting in new ones (roses) in a vase after throwing away the old ones. Beautiful piece of music.

Originally posted by: starstruckk

I believe someone here mentioned that in the novel..Salman does fall in love with another girl while being married to Falak...not sure with whom though.

in the novel he falls for an ordinary girl at his workplace!

Originally posted by: starstruckk

I think that would have seemed rushed. We all don't understand Falak's obsession with Salman to begin with..having them married off in 4 episodes would've left everyone startled & more confused to say the least. 😆

it wouldnt be rushed, they had 4 episodes to show Falak chasing after him😆 whyd they have to wait til the 8th and make it all repetitive😕 even 5th epi would be fine