Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Nkapoor3 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 12 years ago

Durr E Shehwar ' An Extremely Regressive Play

Posted In Drama Reviews, Features - By Showbiz Spice On Monday, July 9th, 2012 With

By Haseeb Ahmed

While penning this down I am totally aware of the loyal fan base that this play has especially females who were left teary eyed by this play and all that it contained. I am also aware of the barrage of criticism and 'no you are wrong and it depicted reality' which is going to come my way once the readers go through my article, still I am going to say what I have to say since it's a free world and we all are entitled to our opinion. No one should be persecuted just because he holds an opinion diametrically opposite to yours.

I have always believed in art for the sake of reform and not art for the sake of art. Hence, the problems presented in any art form be it theatre/paintings/music/drama should give a resolution in the end. In case of Durre Shehwar a resolution was definitely presented but a resolution which was totally and utterly regressive. For centuries, we have taught our women to be submissive and to accept all the injustices of their husbands and in-laws to save their marriages and family lives. Women are projected as 'epitome of sacrifice'.

And it is this resolution which I am totally against. Our religion tells us that not fighting back an injustice is akin to accepting this injustice and strengthening the oppressor. Therefore, teaching women to take all the injustices of their husbands and in-laws without uttering a word is grossly wrong. This play also overlooked the fact that according to our religion, it is not obligatory for a woman to do household chores for her husband or in-laws. If she does household work, it is her favour to them.

Ignoring these realities, the play stressed upon 'accepting oppression and accepting injustices' in the name of 'saving your marriage and family life'. This extremely wrong message was sugar coated with emotional dialogues and letters exchanged between 'abba and durre shehwar' which left women sobbing and consuming boxes after boxes of tissue papers.

As for those who claim that women should be the ones who should be flexible in a marriage as men remain inflexible, I would like to ask how would societal attitudes especially those of men change if women continue to sacrifice and men continue to enjoy at the expense of their women. Plays should enlighten, educate and aware men of their responsibilities towards their wives and in saving a marriage rather than sugar coat wrong messages with emotionalism. Renowned production houses boasting of the brightest media people should also avoid financing such projects which send out the wrong kind of messages to an already messed up society.

Edited by Nkapoor3 - 12 years ago
OnlyHope thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
^ This is SeZ thread 😳
Nkapoor3 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: OnlyHope

<font color="#9900cc">
^ This is SeZ thread 😳</font>

yeh but I thought I could post this as this show was based on umera's novel also 😊
BlackStar. thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Didn't starstruckk make a DS thread? I'm pretty sure it was made the same time as MEJ..
SecretSapphire thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Asslam o alikum
yahann firing to nahi ho rahi na
mein aa jaoon????????
SecretSapphire thumbnail

Originally posted by: _QueenofHearts_

hi pariπŸ˜† your username reminds me of NainTara from geetπŸ˜†
haan PeK is amazinggg <3 uska second part bhi a raha hai na

My name is faiza
and my username
no its not from Geet
its from Song LUcky boy
yaar mujhay kuch samjh nahi aa raha tha kaya username rahoon
woh background mein song chal raha tha Lucky boy
uss mein kehta Nain pari tu daikh
I tried Nain pari first
then PariNain
I hate the msg
This user name is already taken
use *****123
so decided this 😳

SecretSapphire thumbnail
aur Per e kamil ka 2bd part
I dont knw she will write now
she is busy with TV
MakhannMalaai thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
wooohooo.. Salman is so freakin unpredictable.. one of a kind.. Falak deserves what she is getting right now.. she is messed up in the head.. stupid.. I feel so bad for Humza..

Mikaal has improved so much.. where was he hiding all this talent?
starstruckk thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: -ChillMahaul-

wooohooo.. Salman is so freakin unpredictable.. one of a kind.. Falak deserves what she is getting right now.. she is messed up in the head.. stupid.. I feel so bad for Humza..

Mikaal has improved so much.. where was he hiding all this talent?

Mikaal was also really good in Durre Shahwar. I know you mentioned you didn't see all of it but his acting was quite good. & I think Salman's character is definitely one of a kind. I so was not expecting him to take off that ring this soon like the way he did. πŸ˜†
starstruckk thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Nkapoor3

f the critics of umera, and I watch these serials because I love the topics, but I do not like the way they are depicted, and do not like umera's pov on them, it is rather judgemental of u to think that such people are shallow and should just stick to romantic shows, that is a very hurtful comment, just because one does not like umera's work does not mean one does not have the ability to understand it, maybe it is because one can understand the concept and a lot more attached to it!!!!!

where did I say I think people are shallow? why do you assume so much?

Yes, it's fine to be a critic of someone's work..but, she has her own vision, own way of depicting stuff. And, I find it funny how you love the topic yet you're already having problems with the topic because of one character. As I said Falak's character is eventually going to go down the same path..the path of religion. You may disagree with Umera totally later on too, saying why did Falak have to gain common sense through religion..why didn't she just have sense knocked into her through using her mere brain cells?..Point is, sure disagree with Umera..or any writer for that matter...but to say you love the topics and then you kind of disagree with the way the topic is presented makes no sense. & you've watched mere 2 shows of Umera and in each you find flaws that pertain to the theme of the drama itself. It sort of does show that you're not liking the topics and maybe Umera's work really isn't for you. If you want to take offense to that, then go right ahead..but that's not what I'm trying to say. There are different kind of writers in Pakistan..a lot of them write about women & Islam..I don't know how many Pakistani dramas you've watched to notice that, but Pakistani dramas reflect the Muslim majority within Pakistan as well as women for the most part..why women? because women are the ones who watch these dramas the most.
. So, in order to understand these kind of dramas you have to know where the writers are coming from because that's how you'll see them writing all the time.