Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Freethinker112 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago

Originally posted by: BirdieNumNum

Amazing. It took all these pages to convince folks there is no scientific proof?😆

You would be surprised. 😆

the question on page 1 started off by not requiring scientific proof. We added that along the way when some of us were proposing various hypothesis.

I was okay discussing in informal language as I thought it was obvious that there is no scientific proof, but people started asking me to quantify, like you asked me to quantify punishment. That steered us into the scientific lane.

by the way, there are proofs other than the math kinds- proof by overwhelming evidence, proof beyond a reasonable doubt. We use them everyday without going around dismissing them. I am sure you could find other types.

Try them.

now what do you think- should one take another stab at sorting out the time travel business? We still seem to be moving in time. 😆

I think you said we had enough of that? I already answered. But if you want more discussion, go on.
Freethinker112 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Vintage.Wine

Free 😛

I believe its about time we first decide if the Universe if Finite or otherwise...Frankly speaking ...both Infinity and Nothing Beyond Finite Universe equally baffle me ..😆 ..Its easier said than imagined ...Unless one is adequately drunk ... 😆

@ Bold: Yeah but then that ll rule out the newer Finite model of the universe ..If universe is not confined to a higher dimensional space it has to be infinite and no parallel universes should exist ... ðŸĪŠ

It's not that we can just toss a coin and decide. 😆 I said that it is possible for a finite space without a boundary to exist without being being confined in a higher dimension. That is possible, but that does NOT mean that it is the case. The Universe is so large and expanding so quickly that it is possible that we may never answer this question because we can't observe the whole Universe.
Freethinker112 thumbnail

Originally posted by: K.Universe.

Big crunch, big bang. Ad nauseam.

Isn't the expansion of the Universe accelerating currently? Which points that Big Crunch will not happen? Unless it starts decelerating in future.
Freethinker112 thumbnail

Originally posted by: K.Universe.

I thought it's obvious that Free decided to go with what "they" decide...

I don't think we can just decide that. What I said was a finite space can exist without being in higher dimension, does not mean that is necessarily the case. We can't answer this until we observe whole Universe which is expanding faster than we can observe. So, it is possible that we may never know.
Freethinker112 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Vintage.Wine

Of course ...But free was previously limiting his view and rooting for infinity ...But that has changed now ..Not Free's fault I would say ..Cause their decision itself isn't final as it seems on many counts .. 😆 ...

Vintu 😛

Again, you are putting words in my mouth. I said it can be either finite or infinite. We just don't know yet.
Freethinker112 thumbnail

going by the assumption that the singularity is finite (even if tiny), the inference would be that it is spatial. Why dont the normal laws of physics work there? If it cant work there, can there be situations where it might not otherwise work, or times? If that's sounding absurd, then perhaps we dont have the right laws of physics yet because we can think of situations such as the singularity space where it does not work. Or, again, perhaps there is nothing like space? :)

I would go with our theories not being complete. Just because it breaks at such levels is hint enough that we need to improve them.
Freethinker112 thumbnail

Originally posted by: _Angie_

And does that satisfy the seeker's query ! ? Does the quest for the Origin end there? Or would it now be a search for which bang would be the bang #1 !

If that is the case, which might not be as Universe is currently accelerating, rather than being caught in the cycle, better question would be the origin of the "thing" caught in cycle. How did the "thing" caught in the cycle came to be. We know that energy can't be created or destroyed. So, how did all this energy came to be?
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

"I believe I can fly" is a flight of fancy. Imaginative people often have flights of fancy. People know they are untrue but fanciful thoughts are just comforting and fun. A flight of fancy is usually a harmless sentiment. I don't think it is necessary to deny people their imagination and wishful thinking. The only need I see to change that is if someone takes it so seriously that they are ready to jump off a cliff or worse push someone off a cliff.

Only "seekers" would care to start at zero and diligently pick away one question, one fact at the time. Majority of people are actually not as concerned with seeking. They see what is and fill the gaps with their own framework constructs. Until we can change human behavior so that all people are seekers, we have to work with what to have. The focus should be consistency, rationality, logic and morality within existing frameworks rather than disproving (or proving) the notion of God.

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: _Angie_

Belief in God by itself would appear to be quite innocuous till we take into consideration the number of atrocities committed in the name of God! A person committing a crime usually suffers a guilt conscience sooner or later and one could hope for remorse and rehabilitation but not with those who carry it out with the belief of going to heaven for having done an act that their "God" has prescribed. That is wherein lies the danger!

In my opinion rather than "belief in God", I think our focus should be on the "dangerous beliefs" no matter what.

I think trying to make our framework of God or whatever we perceive the world as to be consistent, logical and moral is more important. Atrocities committed in the name of God are usually severe inconsistencies. If God is merciful and benevolent, how are acts of vengeance and cruelty consistent with that. If only God will judge mankind, how is humans judging on behalf of God consistent with that. Personally, I have absolutely no problem with "belief in God". My biggest problem is with the illogical dogma and doctrine that tends to surround God. Almost all religious faiths appear to have grave inconsistencies within their own prescribed framework.

Vintage.Wine thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Freethinker112

Again, you are putting words in my mouth. I said it can be either finite or infinite. We just don't know yet.

Free ...
Aww ...Hahaha 😆 ..So you are playing safe here ...We can't discuss spirituality cause it has no scientific evidence ...We can't discuss the creation of the universe ...Cause no one knows about it ... My point is we are here to think FREELY 😆 ..Without confining our views to known knowledge ..Some Hypothesis must be put in place ...All hypothesis is imaginary till its proven eventually with experiments ..that doesn't mean we should refrain from having one .. You can't take both stance ..and be on the summit of both Everest and Lhotse at the same sloshed time 😆

Where are we headed ? So we wanna scout for God's existence on a greater cosmic level ? Trying to guess what happened at the time of big bang? or are should we resort to macro level and everyday observations ..( The question regarding the late body movements still remains unseen ... 😆 ) ?

Let me ask you something .. We can find the age of the rocks ...and other material ..If the electrons always existed ...those that are found ins such rocks / material shouldn't be of the same age ...Is it possible to find the age of the electron ? Quarks ? Protons ? or even the Atoms ? I know that of deuterium, tritium and lithium Atom's age can be measured ....If there is a way to know the age of Helium or Hydrogen Atoms ..the primary substance at the time of big bang ..We can definitely reach somewhere ...

Vintu 😛