If you believe in God, refute this! - Page 94

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

CuckooCutter7 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago

Originally posted by: Freethinker112

If you think answering your posts and pointing out faults is bad tone and you can't respond civilly to them, then tough luck buddy. You won't be able to be civil in discussions.

you've actually been pretty dismissive of other people's ideas. I didnt see what faults you found and even if you did, it wouldn't have bothered me. They all find faults with me, i'm just a faulty kinda guy.😆. Seriously, for you to turn around and say its all blind speculation is pretty condescending after a certain point, especially if someone knows the underlying science pretty well. So here's the deal- you want aggressive vigorous debate, we can have it. You want apple pie, that' too is fine. No one should whine after that.

What exactly have I ignored?

the question about time travel. Rather than answer it or say you dont know which one can respect for intellectual honesty, you start deciding what is relevant and what is not.

And I am answering your questions and pointing out faults in them.

that's a riot. You decide what faults there are? 😆

If I am not mistaken, in plotting spacetime, time axis is represented by ct, which is a unit of distance. It is done to maintain dimensional consistency, otherwise you will be adding or subtracting time to/from distance which will be meaningless.

Yes, people do that to evade the problem. But it doesnt solve the problem.

And what exactly is the rate of change of time you are asking about? Asking how much time does it take to move in time makes as much as sense as asking how much distance it takes to cover a distance aka no sense.

exactly. Thank you. That's what i have been saying all along. Does not make sense. ie. nonsense.😆 Now notice we can measure velocity in the distance axes, there is no such meaningful quantity in the time dimension like you yourself have just concluded. If there's still a block, think of it this way- if we start talking about time travel, we should be able to specify the speed at which we are travelling in time. Self-referential as we just concluded.
Edited by BirdieNumNum - 11 years ago
CuckooCutter7 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

That's exactly why I posted about four-velocity. It states that we all are moving through spacetime at c. Thus a mass object at rest is just moving through time dimension at c.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-velocity

Also, velocity makes sense with respect to both space and time. Velocity by definition is rate of change of displacement with respect to time. Talking about velocity without space makes no sense. But that was in classical sense. In relativity, you got four-velocity vector with 4 components, one through time also.

you are right if we assume that spacetime is an abstract non-existent mathematical construct. But if you assume that it is physically existent, then you have to have motion in time which can be shown to be a meaningless quantity. It is on this basis that I was saying that something can be a great math model in predicting various things but it might not have a physical counterpart. Hope you see where i was coming from.
Vintage.Wine thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

No, no boundary doesn't necessarily means infinite. The surface of the earth has no boundaries or edges but it is not infinite, is it?

Blimey ! 😆

Surface of the earth has no boundary cause earth's surface itself is earth's boundary .. 😆 ..Your logic sounded as balmy as someone asking ..What is the boundary of a boundary ? .. 😆

Your problem right now is you are thinking too far deep...Getting to the depths that don't exist ..Thus making the simplest of the things sound like rocket science 😆
K.Universe. thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: BirdieNumNum

if we start talking about time travel, we should be able to specify the speed at which we are travelling in time. Self-referential as we just concluded.

Time travel is not literally traveling in time; travel only refers to change/movement/displacement in the spatial position of the object as the time coordinate is varied. Since velocities are relativistic, the methods proposed to do time travel try to exploit the fact that velocities are relativistic by considering theories such as FTL, wormholes, black holes and cosmic strings. All interpretations of GR and SR that even remotely suggest time travel employ one of these theories. If you found anything else outside of these theories that was proposed as a means of time travel, a theory backed by a distinguished scientist, please bring it to our attention.

Time travel may be impossible, depending upon whether we are talking about travel backward in time or forward in time, but definitely not for the reason you cited. You are starting with a negative premise ("speed at which we are traveling in time" does not make sense because speed requires both distance and time to compute) and coming to an affirmative conclusion.

you are right if we assume that spacetime is an abstract non-existent mathematical construct. But if you assume that it is physically existent, then you have to have motion in time which can be shown to be a meaningless quantity. It is on this basis that I was saying that something can be a great math model in predicting various things but it might not have a physical counterpart. Hope you see where i was coming from.

I asked you what is your definition of physical and you said "physical as in something that's logically possible". So, if space-time is a mathematical construct then it is logical (as all mathematical constructs are founded on first order logic and definability), Which means, according to you, it is also physical! So space-time is logical as well as physical per your explication! Sounds contradictory to me.

Look Birdie, if your whole point is that even theoretical scientists speculate once in a while and hence we should do it too in this thread, I personally don't have a problem with that. By why keep defending a position on time travel which doesn't discuss any known theories and which doesn't consider the classical definitions of space, time, distance, speed and velocity?

Edited by K.Universe. - 11 years ago
CuckooCutter7 thumbnail

Originally posted by: K.Universe.

Time travel is not literally traveling in time; travel only refers to change/movement/displacement in the spatial position of the object as the time coordinate is varied. Since velocities are relativistic, the methods proposed to do time travel try to exploit the fact that velocities are relativistic by considering theories such as FTL, wormholes, black holes and cosmic strings. All interpretations of GR and SR that even remotely suggest time travel employ one of these theories. If you found anything else outside of these theories that was proposed as a means of time travel, a theory backed by a distinguished scientist, please bring it to our attention.

and i find all these "theories" either bizarre or speculative, as speculative as other ideas that were expressed. To dismiss something like karma as speculative (fine, it is), but then keep defending the theories above as scientific truths, now that's where the cuteness came in.

BUT IF YOU THINK these theories are scientifically sound, go for it. Elaborate.

Time travel may be impossible, depending upon whether we are talking about travel backward in time or forward in time, but definitely not for the reason you cited. You are starting with a negative premise ("speed at which we are traveling in time" does not make sense because speed requires both distance and time to compute) and coming to an affirmative conclusion.

the word MAY implies you acknowledge it is currently speculative. Forget why i think it is nonsense, at least we agree it is speculative.

I asked you what is your definition of physical and you said "physical as in something that's logically possible". So, if space-time is a mathematical construct then it is logical (as all mathematical constructs are founded on first order logic and definability), Which means, according to you, it is also physical! So space-time is logical as well as physical per your explication! Sounds contradictory to me.

please understand context. Logically possible in a physical world is implied. I wasnt referring to logically possible in just a math sense.

Look Birdie, if your whole point is that even theoretical scientists speculate once in a while and hence we should do it too in this thread, I personally don't have a problem with that. By why keep defending a position on time travel which doesn't discuss any known theories and which doesn't consider the classical definitions of space, time, distance, speed and velocity?

A lot of what we have since GR has been speculative. It's not just once in a while. And why should i be defending time travel as a physical reality when i find it not only bizarre but illogical from the standpoint of allowing retrocausality? Talking of retrocausality, do we have any "testable hypothesis" proving it exists? Now just because someone can use math to conjure up all kinds of fantasies does not make it any more sensible or any less of a "blind speculation".

read up on subjects like "philsophy of space and time" and you'll see a vigorous debate amongst reasonable sounding people about all the issues raised here. No one goes around pretending as if it's all science.

and earlier you asked me a question if I believed in Big Bang. I said i could not be sure. FreeThinker112 thought it worthwhile to give me his standard template reply. But you do know there are alternate theories that might be plausible, dont you?

and now you say time travel is not literally travelling in time. I did not know we were living in a non-literal world. Material world yes, non-literal world?
K.Universe. thumbnail
^^ OK, you want to push the boundaries between science and non-science (not nonsense, mind you :) and I am all for it. In fact, I would like to elaborate on my "Observer is God" conjecture at some point, if only I am divested of defending this whole time travel business in the first place. This is simply unimportant to me in the grand scheme of things.
CuckooCutter7 thumbnail

Originally posted by: K.Universe.

^^ OK, you want to push the boundaries between science and non-science (not nonsense, mind you :) and I am all for it. In fact, I would like to elaborate on my "Observer is God" conjecture at some point, if only I am divested of defending this whole time travel business in the first place. This is simply unimportant to me in the grand scheme of things.

cool. No problem- i'm tired of bringing it up too :), but I was doing it to pour cold water on some of the "science" we were using to dismiss other ideas. Anyway, I think we all know deep down that we cant prove existence of God in a scientific sense. And it would actually be great to hear what you have to say.

see the odd thing is that after all the study, there's a nagging feeling one has that anything is possible, or most anything. One can see that in practice day in and day out when trading options. It's important there to consider different possibilities, even those one might rule out based on theoretically sound models ...
Vintage.Wine thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Birdie .. 😛

Sorry but I couldn't hold myself back from barging in here ...After reading many of your posts where you use the stock price movements as the analogy to illustrate physics conundrum.. Your contention regarding the Non viability of Math to derive a meaningful definition / model of a God was unarguably accurate ...But my point is Stock Market trading especially for those who are a dab hand at that ain't that bummer of an experience.. The options ..that carry the highest risk ..The premium could be wiped out ..are basically used for hedging one's futures positions.. Again a Strict Stop loss could limit the losses ..The losses are a possibility only in an odd event of a sudden price hampering news... Stock prices always discount the future ...While most news lag them ..

Also if you one has a definite model in place ...Like the one I use ..Stochastic , Relative strength Index and ROI ..+ The MACD ...On all Daily and 5 minute charts ..Combining the patterns which are pretty common ..Along with the volume actions ..There is only 1 in a 100 chance that I go wrong ..😆

All I meant to say is that model of prediction as said earlier on by another member relates to human behavior ..Fear and Greed ...And is well matured ..Even automated charting systems are available ..Nothing like self analysis though ...So according to me ..its far simpler and matured than the physics and Math that has endless assumptions that can only distraught people to a point of no return ... 😎

As you rightly said.considering the other aspects ..and respecting a few ideas unless they are written of with a known system might come handy and take us nearer to knowing the power that makes the world go round ... Apart from the Love and Spirit << In every sense of that Word 😆

Huh! Can't figure out what emptied what ...I emptied those 3 large glasses full of fragrant wine .Or the wine emptied my brains ... can you tell ? 😆

Vintu 😛

CuckooCutter7 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Vintage.Wine

Birdie .. 😛

Sorry but I couldn't hold myself back from barging in here ...After reading many of your posts where you use the stock price movements as the analogy to illustrate physics conundrum.. Your contention regarding the Non viability of Math to derive a meaningful definition / model of a God was unarguably accurate ...But my point is Stock Market trading especially for those who are a dab hand at that ain't that bummer of an experience.. The options ..that carry the highest risk ..The premium could be wiped out ..are basically used for hedging one's futures positions.. Again a Strict Stop loss could limit the losses ..The losses are a possibility only in an odd event of a sudden price hampering news... Stock prices always discount the future ...While most news lag them ..

Also if you one has a definite model in place ...Like the one I use ..Stochastic , Relative strength Index and ROI ..+ The MACD ...On all Daily and 5 minute charts ..Combining the patterns which are pretty common ..Along with the volume actions ..There is only 1 in a 100 chance that I go wrong ..😆

All I meant to say is that model of prediction as said earlier on by another member relates to human behavior ..Fear and Greed ...And is well matured ..Even automated charting systems are available ..Nothing like self analysis though ...So according to me ..its far simpler and matured than the physics and Math that has endless assumptions that can only distraught people to a point of no return ... 😎

As you rightly said.considering the other aspects ..and respecting a few ideas unless they are written of with a known system might come handy and take us nearer to knowing the power that makes the world go round ... Apart from the Love and Spirit << In every sense of that Word 😆

Huh! Can't figure out what emptied what ...I emptied those 3 large glasses full of fragrant wine .Or the wine emptied my brains ... can you tell ? 😆

Vintu 😛

i think models by definition are just a representation of the real thing, not the other way around... 😊 Confusion arises when we take the model for the real thing.
K.Universe. thumbnail

cool. No problem- i'm tired of bringing it up too :), but I was doing it to pour cold water on some of the "science" we were using to dismiss other ideas. Anyway, I think we all know deep down that we cant prove existence of God in a scientific sense. And it would actually be great to hear what you have to say.

Sure, thanks! It should be a simple question of unifying the central concepts of QM and GR, identifying the shape of the universe, explaining dark matter, dark energy and dark flow, finding why the universe had such a low entropy in the past, bridging the gaps between macro, meso and micro scales, resolving the mind-body dichotomy, unraveling the hard problem of consciousness, getting to the bottom of singularity and revealing the first cause.

I am on it.