If you believe in God, refute this! - Page 89

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

CuckooCutter7 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago

Originally posted by: K.Universe.

You take one more cheap shot at me, you will not hear from me again.

Why don't you tell me why your brought frequencies into play and not wavelengths when talking about color and we will take it from there.

again, my apologies buddy. Thanks to you, i found a reason to go back and re-visit some topics one had learned eons ago.

i am curious as to how one would respond to the spacetime and time-dimension-travel conundrums. Give it a shot if you will please.

i dont know why i used frequency. It's ingrained i suppose from all the physics 101 and EE 101 courses to use them interchangeably.
Edited by BirdieNumNum - 11 years ago
_Angie_ thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
^^ Dont worry, K will soon be back from ..
You could safely use the word "frequency" with this place 😆
K.Universe. thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
All I ask for is silence in the class room:

If you have any questions, this is the recommended behavior:

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Psssht K. I come here to get away from school. Not to enroll in one. 😛 Anyway, even in school I'm a rabble rouser and master of mayhem - the last think you want me to do is act like I do in a classroom.

CuckooCutter7 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

K, in the financial markets, there are rocket science types (many of them ex-mathematicians/ physicists) who came up with Black-Scholes options pricing models amongst a host of other derivatives models (including in the CDO space that exacerbated the subprime crisis). For the longest time, they'll have you believe their models are infallible. Sooner or later, one finds pitfalls. What they do next is come up with patchwork solutions. You get to a point where the model itself is internally inconsistent. Sure enough, traders still use them for lack of anything better. But one learns not to rely on them too much when they are in conflict with our smell-test instincts. That's where i am coming from, an occasional disregard for commonly accepted wisdom...

another thing- if these guys were so good at understanding or navigating the real world markets through their models, you'd have them running hedge funds or companies like goldman sachs. Other than a few who've managed to get there, most are just relegated to their cubicles developing models that the MBA types whet. If value is where the money is, it's clear who knows more about the markets, and it's definitely not the ex-mathematicians/ physicists. Heck, the theoreticians will even tell you that everything has rational expectations built in and their are no arbitrage possibilities. But if that were true, we'd not have an entire industry of traders who think they can spot such opportunities... and often do.

sorry for the digression but i thought it was important to provide context to what i was saying elsewhere...
Edited by BirdieNumNum - 11 years ago
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
The problem with financial market models is that they are subject to human behavior that is neither rational nor predictable.

Science on the other hand is more predictable and follows certain set rational patterns. A wild card like human behavior does not throw a wrench in these models.

Although, I think K might agree that everything we know about physics goes for a toss in quantum mechanics.

But I think be it financial markets, science or any other field known to man. Sometimes a hunch, gut instinct or intuition goes a long way even if you don't have any logical basis formed for it. And the beauty of these instincts are that don't get thrown off balance but adapt to wrenches if and when they get thrown in.
K.Universe. thumbnail

Originally posted by: BirdieNumNum

i am curious as to how one would respond to the spacetime and time-dimension-travel conundrums. Give it a shot if you will please.

OK, we will get to "time travel" in time but first answer me this:

Do you think space is expanding? If yes, then into what? More space?

If space can expand into more space (by all observations it is true), why is accepting time travel in time so difficult?

K.Universe. thumbnail

Originally posted by: return_to_hades

The problem with financial market models is that they are subject to human behavior that is neither rational nor predictable.

Yes and Birdie would attest to the fact that you can't model sentiment.
K.Universe. thumbnail
if you don't accept that space can expand, then you shouldn't even accept the inflation theory in which case you have to come up with a new theory to explain what happened in the initial moments of the big bang, how an infinitesimal space became all that we see today.
CuckooCutter7 thumbnail

Originally posted by: return_to_hades

Science on the other hand is more predictable and follows certain set rational patterns. A wild card like human behavior does not throw a wrench in these models.

Although, I think K might agree that everything we know about physics goes for a toss in quantum mechanics.

But I think be it financial markets, science or any other field known to man. Sometimes a hunch, gut instinct or intuition goes a long way even if you don't have any logical basis formed for it. And the beauty of these instincts are that don't get thrown off balance but adapt to wrenches if and when they get thrown in.

i think the inference one could then make is that you're talking about separate models- one to explain natural phenomena and another to explain human behavior. Sounds odd if we consider man as part of nature.