Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Freethinker112 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago

Originally posted by: BirdieNumNum

this is why i said earlier that we have pop science that is much like pseudo science. How can anything travel in the time dimension. What would be the velocity? dt/ dt? We get a dimensionless quantity. But that has not stopped even famous physicists from parroting it. I think there's fear at work even in science- no one wants to ask the question because that would be challenging the notion that even GR is only a mathematical construct, and does not have any counterpart in nature.

I have not read much about GR(not school level stuff), but from what I am reading, isn't the time dimension represented by ct? Which gives the dimension of length/time*time = length? So, dct/dt will work. Feel free to correct me if this is wrong.
Freethinker112 thumbnail
@Birdie and K, just a musing.

Birdie you are asking to travel back in time. Which essentially means, keeping the 3 space coordinates fixed, you wanna change the time coordinate. Now, look from a reverse point of view. If I want to keep time coordinate fixed and change space coordinate. Won't that be like being at two places at the same time, which sounds absurd?
Freethinker112 thumbnail

Originally posted by: BirdieNumNum

yes, but there is no time dimension in nature IMO so how can time travel make sense even from a theoretical sense.Again, spacetime is just a historical collection of 3D objects. Nothing can move in it.

But we all are moving through spacetime, are we not?
Freethinker112 thumbnail

Originally posted by: return_to_hades

You Wikipedia it 😲

Don't you know anyone can edit Wikipedia. 😛

I use Wikipedia a lot as well, even for school projects. It is an excellent resource and is usually right.. Unfortunately, being free and editable by anyone - it often comes under scrutiny as a source and sometimes you might get well written but fake vandalized articles.

For school work I click the Wikipedia citation links and use those as citations. 😆

Yeah, I know that but it is a good place to start. 😆

Actually it was not totally wrong. The problem was with the language it used which gave room for misinterpretation. What it actually meant was at least 10^26 years, which is consistent with the idea of infinity. The thing is there is nothing like infinity in experiments, and since the value is much larger than age of Universe and is just a lower limit, it essentially means no decay.
Freethinker112 thumbnail

Originally posted by: _Angie_

A gift wrapped God- is that you are looking for or are you going in for the neti neti principle?

I don't think I like neti-neti, otherwise we will be pending infinite time listing infinite things it ain't. I like to go with what we observe and how we can explain that. As I have said before, one can mathematically come with many models which will be sound but unless they are consistent with what we observe, there is no use of them.
Freethinker112 thumbnail

Originally posted by: _Angie_

So its about the search for the origin. I know about adopted kids trying to trace their biological parents in a bid to search for their origin. They have a clear picture of what they mean by their origin. It's the parents who brought them into this world. Once they succeed in tracing their biological parents the search for their origin is over for them. Point being that before starting a search the object of search would have to be well defined or else we go into an infinite regress.

I am actually looking in that thing, how can infinite regress be or is there a way out of that. Simplest thing we can do is to backtrack through what we know.
Freethinker112 thumbnail

Originally posted by: K.Universe.

You may have won the battle vis-a-vis electron decay but I am not sure about the war.

First things first: how did you come to the conclusion that the body is made of electrons?!

There was no battle won. 😆 I still stand by other things I have said. Just because electrons can't decay doesn't mean that body doesn't.
Freethinker112 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Vintage.Wine

..Firstly to achieve that...and then there would be questions about what will happen to a human body at such stupendous speed .. Would it energize / transform into a enormously fast wave ? And if it does how do we get that back to the original shape / size / condition immediately after upon Alpha Centaury ? 😆

I don't think you need to worry about the effects as it is not possible to accelerate a body with non zero mas to speed of light.
Freethinker112 thumbnail
@ Vintu

Just read these
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decomposition
http://science.howstuffworks.com/body-farm1.htm

I don't understand why you are comparing decay of body to decay of electron. Decomposition converts organic matter to simpler matter. It is till made of electrons. That does not mean it is the same thing. As I said before everything has electrons. So, if your logic is that electron is what is the soul of body then is everything alive?
Freethinker112 thumbnail

Originally posted by: return_to_hades

When a person dies does data stored in the brain like memories, self identity etc get wiped out. Does death mean that our hard disk gets fried beyond repair.

Or does the data still remain. And if it does, what if we electrically hook up a brain? The brain communicates by electric impulses right. Could we potentially hook it up like a computer and access its data?

And suppose we find a way to do that. Can we live forever through our brains. Makes me wonder, if we transplant brains into a computer, into another human being, into a robot - is it still us or will it take a new life and identity.

If it is just us - can we be immortal? How essential is life.Does death become meaningless if our brain and identity can live forever.

If it is not us - then where is the essence of us?

I believe brain dies if it doesn't get oxygen for some time. Whether it destroys data is a question which we can answer after we know how brain stores data.

All the questions basically ask about the origin of consciousness. Whether brain gives rise to it or it is something "else".