If you believe in God, refute this! - Page 80

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

CuckooCutter7 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago

Originally posted by: Freethinker112

In all the discussion we had in this thread.

This is funny: your bringing up my past karmas to explain away your response (not that i think my karmas included "blind speculations" and "untestable hypothesis"). Looks like you are finally getting into the karmic spirit yourself.😆
Edited by BirdieNumNum - 11 years ago
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
In the spirit of Halloween - Do the God believers and refuters have any suggestions on how to dress up as God for Halloween? 😆
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

I have already edited my post stating that I was wrong. I got misinformed due to the way Wikipedia writes its articles. It said that the half life of electron is 10^26 years, which I thought meant that they may decay after that. But on further reading after being corrected by Vintage, I say now that electrons can't decay.

You Wikipedia it 😲

Don't you know anyone can edit Wikipedia. 😛

I use Wikipedia a lot as well, even for school projects. It is an excellent resource and is usually right.. Unfortunately, being free and editable by anyone - it often comes under scrutiny as a source and sometimes you might get well written but fake vandalized articles.

For school work I click the Wikipedia citation links and use those as citations. 😆
_Angie_ thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail

Who stopped anyone from speculating?

Yeah, we could discuss metaphysics but this is not the topic for that. My point is we can't say God exists in view of current knowledge. What might or might not be is a thing for another discussion. People might believe that God may exist but people might believe that fairies may exist too. But when people say with certainty that God does exist, I want them to prove that.

A gift wrapped God- is that you are looking for or are you going in for the neti neti principle?

_Angie_ thumbnail

Of course loved ones will take care of you, but not remembering about anything can drive you crazy. I have seen a guy who lost memory due to a bike accident. Seeing people and not remembering anything made him frustrated and angry. It's not like what we see in shows and movies. But that's not even the point, maybe you don't have much interest in finding about the origin, but I do.

So its about the search for the origin. I know about adopted kids trying to trace their biological parents in a bid to search for their origin. They have a clear picture of what they mean by their origin. It's the parents who brought them into this world. Once they succeed in tracing their biological parents the search for their origin is over for them. Point being that before starting a search the object of search would have to be well defined or else we go into an infinite regress.

_Angie_ thumbnail

Originally posted by: K.Universe.

Angie, how can a person who lost his memory even recognize anybody in the first place for him to trust them and go with them?!

K - at times we do trust people we do not recognise dont we ? Why is that?
Where faith comes into play things would seem to go right whichever way it goes .
I would also like to think that the person's past would be much more important and meaningful to him than his future given he lost his identity.
It was an allusion to the fact that a person's immediate worry would be regarding what he was supposed to do next considering that he has no memory of where he came from and thus no home to go to. Once that gets taken care of he would be free to worry about a whole bunch of things.
Jason Bourne remains tormented till his past is revealed in full and David Webb emerges :)
Jason Bourne's tormented past kept resurfacing and could have been the reason for the restlessness. What if he had a peaceful past ? Looks like a case of partial amnesia leading to identity crisis. A complete amnesia would ve been a different matter .
Makes me wonder if a person who lost his memory would still retain his faith.
Personally, I would like to know what happened 13.7 billions years ago rather than what would happen 13.7 billion years from now but that's just me.
I guess I d be bothered more with what could happen in the next 13 minutes and need to take decisions accordingly. Believe me all hell can break lose within that time 😆
Thats not saying I wouldnt like to know what happened 13.7 billion years ago .
Suppose we do find out what took place in the past and assuming that there isnt anything that can be done about the past, the only use that knowledge would have is to shape the future course of actions through the present.

_Angie_ thumbnail

Originally posted by: return_to_hades

In the spirit of Halloween - Do the God believers and refuters have any suggestions on how to dress up as God for Halloween? 😆

How about something like this
OR as Pan God
K.Universe. thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: BirdieNumNum

again, there's a lot of commonly accepted "truths" in science that no one dares to challenge. SR is just a mathematical trick. Based on it, one should be able to travel back in time. BUT, if time travel were possible, then we cant have "passage of time". It would mean the past exists, but if the past is "alive", then time is at a standstill. Hope you get the idea.

but sure, i'll read up some more on SR. Meanwhile, how does one travel through time? And a simple question- what would be the velocity of that object projected in your "time dimension"? Buddy, we cant have a dimensional number to something like time divided by time, so how can we have an answer that should be in units per time?

Think of time as just an attribute of an object with "past" and "future". Just states. That might make more sense to you then.

OK. In this context, space-time is just a set of all events in the universe with each point in space-time representing an event.

In that sense, you are right, space-time is just a representation of the real world. All we have in reality is objects and events. So when talking about "time travel" let's focus only on events and objects.

Say, I am sitting in front of my computer in a Starbucks establishment on Hollywood Blvd., LA and I just witnessed a car collision. First I acknowledge that the event ("car collision") has occurred only when the information about the event reaches me. The information about the event ("car collision") is contained in the electromagnetic radiation from the event. This information cannot travel faster than the speed of light (forget entanglement for the time being)

Now, the information about the car collision is out there. It is emitted outward as electromagnetic radiation. This information now travels in space at the speed of light.

I saw the car collision almost instantaneously. Hypothetically, if there's a guy on our Sun, with a powerful telescope and/or measuring equipment, he would see the car collision 8 minutes later. A guy seated on Proxima Centauri, with a powerful telescope and/or measuring equipment, would see the car collision 4 years later.

Hypothetically, if I could travel faster than light, I could observe the same event ("car collision") umpteen number of times from different vantage points in space.

So, if I want to see the battle between Alexander and King Porus that happened in the past with today as the reference frame, all I have to do is pick a location in space where the information surrounding the battle hasn't yet reached, go to that location in space by traveling faster than light and wait for the information to "show up". That's how I "time travel" into the past, not in the time dimension per se, but in space by traveling to a different reference frame, to a different "present".

Technically, there are places in the Universe which are still "witnessing" the birth of our solar system and technically there are places in the universe where the information about the birth of our solar system hasn't reached yet.

There are obvious caveats of course, even assuming we could travel faster than light. The intensity of the light and how energetic the radiation is, matters. For example Sun isn't as luminous as a quasar. So Sun light will not travel as much distance as a quasar's light does. So information about the car collision might not reach distant parts of the universe for me to "time travel" but that's besides the point.

Disclaimer: this is my understanding of how it works. You or anyone else could feel free to correct me.

K.Universe. thumbnail

Originally posted by: Vintage.Wine

Well ..Freethinka is of the opinion that the Body tissues decay ..And so do the Electrons before their estimated life span of 10^26 years as a person dies ..Thus making the body shrink / disintegrate ..So by DECAY he means electrons reduce to even smaller particles ..while they are the smallest / lightest known particles .. ..The context is .Why does a body decay upon the death .If it is made of electrons ( and has no other Vital element in it ) that can't disintegrate ..unless they move outta the body and get absorbed into another ..Or other such procedure that helps them relinquish the body ..😆 ..

You may have won the battle vis-a-vis electron decay but I am not sure about the war.

First things first: how did you come to the conclusion that the body is made of electrons?!

K.Universe. thumbnail

Originally posted by: _Angie_

Thats not saying I wouldnt like to know what happened 13.7 billion years ago .

Suppose we do find out what took place in the past and assuming that there isnt anything that can be done about the past, the only use that knowledge would have is to shape the future course of actions through the present.

As of now, I have no idea what use information has (regardless of which event we are talking about) but it looks like the whole purpose is to "know". I don't know towards what end. If that weren't the case, there would be no such thing as curiosity. There would be no hunger for knowledge. The fact that human generations had hunger for knowledge since time immemorial makes me think that there has to be a reason behind this accumulation of information, behind the yearning for knowledge.