Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

K.Universe. thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago

Originally posted by: BirdieNumNum

black holes and such are just mathematical toys, as is spacetime and time travel and the rest of the science fiction we've been using. IMO Our understanding of these phenomena is currently limited to our ability to model them mathematically, much like we model weather phenomena using forecasting models which are often wrong. Physics is about particles, their properties and their interactions, much as one might want to believe physics is math. I think even general relativity theory is a math trick, unless you believe space is really curved. In other words, we still dont have an understanding of the phenomena called gravity even though we can use the math equations to predict it. So let's not suggest that just because we have some math (which we pass off as physics) that we really understand many of the physical phenomena. And historically speaking, nearly all scientific theories have originated from what people once considered as myths. But let's face it- what we have today is a lot of math that is empirically verifiable or testable, so we accept it as scientifically proved, even when they dont have any counterpart in nature. Conversely, just because something is not currently verifiable does not make it false. If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it just might be a duck, even though we might not be able to experimentally prove it. Like others have said before, if we are looking for scientific proofs, i dont think we'll get there. So why not come up with our own theories. If folks had dismissed previous myths as "blind speculations", we would have never gotten to the math models we have today, incomplete or unsatisfactory as these might be in REALLY explaining various phenomena.

I completely get the point you are making and I will be the first one to admit that Math will trump science any day! Hawking made a career out of it hardly venturing out to physically observe and so did (do) many theoretical Physicists but I would like to make two corrections to your post:

1. Black holes are indeed detectable based on the emitted radiation and via techniques such as gravitational lensing. They exist in "reality" and not just on paper.

2. GR predicted the curvature of space-time near the earth's surface caused by it's mass. Nasa's Gravity Probe B project proved it conclusively in 2011.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2011/may/07/scientists-prove-einstein-right

That said, it's a wonder why the Universe is so mathematical. For instance, there is no real reason why the energy mass equivalence should exist in nature in the equation that Einstein gave us but it does and that's really really baffling.

CuckooCutter7 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Freethinker112

Because you were suggesting metaphysics and improvement over current science, calling current science "fiction", and putting metaphysics and science on the same ground?

that's why you need to understand context. Again, i asked a question and you saw "blind speculations" in that? Point is that time and again, you jump from one context to another and then tell others to be precise. Again, i asked a question. Where did you see the blinders?

now how about also answering the question- is time travel possible? Will show you why the math and physics we have bought hook line and sinker into is nonsense.
K.Universe. thumbnail

now how about also answering the question- is time travel possible? Will show you why the math and physics we have bought hook line and sinker into is nonsense.

Time travel is possible if FTL is possible.

Even if we could time travel, we will not be able to interact with past events, merely observe them.

Freethinker112 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail

that's why you need to understand context. Again, i asked a question and you saw "blind speculations" in that? Point is that time and again, you jump from one context to another and then tell others to be precise. Again, i asked a question. Where did you see the blinders?

In all the discussion we had in this thread.

As far as I know, time travel is not currently possible.
K.Universe. thumbnail

Originally posted by: _Angie_

I guess the person would be more worried about where he would go rather than how he came to be there. If its a person with faith he may even trust his loved ones to trace him and take him back home. If they dont then it may not be worth going back in any case so why the desperation?
If its a person without faith, yeah, he has serious cause to get desperate LOL

Angie, how can a person who lost his memory even recognize anybody in the first place for him to trust them and go with them?!

I would also like to think that the person's past would be much more important and meaningful to him than his future given he lost his identity. Jason Bourne remains tormented till his past is revealed in full and David Webb emerges :)

Personally, I would like to know what happened 13.7 billions years ago rather than what would happen 13.7 billion years from now but that's just me.

CuckooCutter7 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: K.Universe.

I completely get the point you are making and I will be the first one to admit that Math will trump science any day! Hawking made a career out of it hardly venturing out to physically observe and so did (do) many theoretical Physicists but I would like to make two corrections to your post:

1. Black holes are indeed detectable based on the emitted radiation and via techniques such as gravitational lensing. They exist in "reality" and not just on paper.

2. GR predicted the curvature of space-time near the earth's surface caused by it's mass. Nasa's Gravity Probe B project proved it conclusively in 2011.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2011/may/07/scientists-prove-einstein-right

That said, it's a wonder why the Universe is so mathematical. For instance, there is no real reason why the energy mass equivalence should exist in nature in the equation that Einstein gave us but it does and that's really really baffling.

but here i'll say that spacetime itself is a mathematical construct that is internally inconsistent. Nothing can move in a time dimension by definition. That would be self-referential. There can be no time dimension because if there was, we should be able to travel through it, and then we should be able to answer questions like what is the velocity of something that travels in the time dimension. We have a self-reference problem there. It is then also a fallacy to think that time changes. We can think of passage of time as just the rate of change etc. Clocks which "measure" time can slow down or speed up. But not time. Time is just an abstract notion that should be used as an evolution parameter. But we have turned it into all kinds of things, to the point that we now even see spacetime or detect spacetime in the physical world.
Edited by BirdieNumNum - 11 years ago
Freethinker112 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Vintage.Wine

<<<<< Zero is always considered as a number so low that the objects existing at that size / shape / dimensions can't be seen ...It doesn't necessarily be exact noting ..But its so low that its always beyond interpretation ..Assumption for the sake of convenience Hahaha ..True that ..Convenience in reaching answers that are just as assumptive and sometime even untrue ..That's what the math is all about ..But Math or it's practitioners don't offer such privilege to other branches of knowledge ..Which is sad ... Who said black holes have no volume? I say so basing my judgement on a criteria : Black holes have INFINITE DENSITY and using a popular math equation which states Density = Mass / Volume ..Everyone knows that Mass is always finite ..So what makes a black hole have INFINITE density ? of course the ZERO Volume ..<<<<< Now who is wrong here ? The Math equation or the Physics that states Black Holes have infinite Density ? Sir ? 😆

Read before posting : Fairy nuff ! But are you telling me this ? Or asking yourself that ? 😆 Cause all I can see is that you have hastily omitted the important words like NON ROTATING <<< in this case ..Where a Non Rotating Star collapses and becomes a black hole ..

I so wish IF had a VOICE facility too ..So that I can read out my posts to you with a proper emphasize on the important words that you usually overlook ...😆

That assumption is for calculation when you are trying to measure something for practical purposes. That is different from theorizing the actual structure.

Black holes definitely have finite volume. Read about Schwarzschild radius. The thing you are talking about is singularity. Which I mentioned before is just where our models break down, which is evident from 0 coming in denominator. And by the way, diving by 0 doesn't give you infinity. Dividing by 0 is not possible, it is an indeterminate.

I am not avoiding anything. You are talking about properties of black hole, not a star. You first decide what you want to discuss.

<<< That was a typo error which you shoulda noticed had ya read what I wrote before ...Its ZERO VOLUME ..The Mass is always there but finite ..The Space Volume though is ZERO evading the singularity as science assumes ..

See reply above.

<< Ask a slaughterer ( How the slaughtered lamb moves even minutes after they behead them ) then if you don't trust me I have seen such a body ..Or would you like to Behead me and test that ? 😆 Well I ain't a doctor either ..and you too are still studying as per one of your earlier posts ..So We should either consider ourselves not eligible to debate on a subject as complex as the God and The Souls or ready ourselves to fetch every bit of available knowledge of information from every possible source...Not just physics / Math. There will be a biological explanation ..So please google that or ask a medical practitioner cause I had presented the question to you ..And my only point was the resultant body movement is not a effect of signals generated by the brain which is cut off or the spinal chord.

Not a lamb, but I have seen beheading of chicken and body moves violently. And insects like cockroach can live for long time without head(those damned creatures never die😆). But, I am sure there is a medical explanation for that otherwise everyone will be spooked. Of course it can't be from brain as it has been chopped off. I am busy right now, but would try to find some link for you later.

<<< Position in a cloud is assumptive again ..Its not the exact position ..its a probability ..Does your computer have a SOUL ? No ..Cause if it had that if woulda become Vital ...A SOUL doesn't enter random electrons or the random objects that are made of electrons . They are absorbed in a body suitable to feel Emotions ..Pain , Joy , Glumness ..All objects are made of Electrons but their properties and behaviors are different ...

Yes, not an exact position, that is the whole point of Heisenberg's uncertainty principle. And you were the one who were suggesting that it might be in "every" electron. That's why i asked that why don't other things have soul because they do have electrons.

There are no "random" electrons. All electrons are the same. And a dead body is also suitable, after all it is the same body. why doesn't soul powers it up?

<< Correct ..You know the thoughts exist ..But you don't know their properties or location ..As per you say that's something you experience ..In the same way a person who observes the death understands that the vitality is lost and unless you define what vitality is or what creates consciousness I would continue to call that the SOUL .. Its a name given to something that causes the death ...and vitality to be lost ..The spirituality must be given a consideration to reach a amicable solution ..My earlier example of a headless body moving is also observation .with no agreeable explanation that the science can give me ..

Yes, consciousness is lost in death. No, that does not mean there is a soul, unless you can show me it is the soul which causes consciousness. Which in turn means you have to prove the existence of soul.

<<<<<< My point was not about Remembering one's name and address 😆 It was about having at least little consciousness to reckon oneself as ME ..A Nameless me ...The death is when one stops knowing that its HIM or a HER or Whatever 😆 The moment one stops knowing their existence .with or without a name or identity clinging to that is the moment when the brain is dead which is a Medically approved criteria defining DEATH ...When both Conscious andSubconscious minds stop reckoning their existence .. the death occurs 😛

Yes, that's what I said, when brain dies you are dead. Nothing to suggest there is something supernatural going on.

Electrons are the lightest of all particles and energy conservation is not possible until they decay if they ever decay into a particle lighter than them ...NO FREETHINKA... Electrons never decay ...And the body is made of electrons ..You lower the scale of observation when it comes to reckoning dimensions and even call visually 2D objects as 3D objects after breaking them down to Electron Level ...And again as it comes to the Decay process which can not happen in the case of electrons you scale upwards and discuss tissues as a object ..Everything is made of Electrons ..even the tissues so they MUST NOT DECAY ..or SHRINK ..If the matter is converted into forms ..tell me what matter the electrons get converted to as they Decay ..If the LAW that states that the energy can't be destroyed in true ...

Edit - I was wrong. Electrons don't decay.

They will be still 3D, I said from the scale we can see, it seems pointlike. Like a sand seems point like to your eyes.

Tissues and organic matter do decay. What happens to plant or dead bodies if you leave them? They rot i.e. they decay. They are acted on by bacteria. You can read up on the process. But the energy will remain conserved.

This is insane 😆 ...I mean without adding spirituality which is no Magic ...Its a definite science ..Finding a GOD or the SOUL or refuting their existence with the help of math formulas that are utterly assumptive in nature would be like Running around like a Chicken With it's Head Chopped Off 😆 ..My contention is Refute the phenomena that everyone knows of using scientific formulas in a agreeable way ..Without saying there are a few / many things that you can't know or explain as an answer ...Or accept the existence of the unknown and let people call that The GOD

Get me to observe it or explain the mechanism behind it. Otherwise we couldn't say something does exist.

Yes, there are unknowns. No, you cannot attach attributes to the unknown, as the name itself implies that we don't know about it. You can speculate all about it, but at the end of the day, they will be speculations only.
Edited by Freethinker112 - 11 years ago
CuckooCutter7 thumbnail

Originally posted by: K.Universe.

Time travel is possible if FTL is possible.

Even if we could time travel, we will not be able to interact with past events, merely observe them.

this is why i said earlier that we have pop science that is much like pseudo science. How can anything travel in the time dimension. What would be the velocity? dt/ dt? We get a dimensionless quantity. But that has not stopped even famous physicists from parroting it. I think there's fear at work even in science- no one wants to ask the question because that would be challenging the notion that even GR is only a mathematical construct, and does not have any counterpart in nature.
K.Universe. thumbnail

this is why i said earlier that we have pop science that is much like pseudo science. How can anything travel in the time dimension. What would be the velocity? dt/ dt? We get a dimensionless quantity. But that has not stopped even famous physicists from parroting it. I think there's fear at work even in science- no one wants to ask the question because that would be challenging the notion that even GR is only a mathematical construct, and does not have any counterpart in nature.

Well, I don't need to tell you this but just as a background: speed of light is finite even if it is the fastest in the universe. When we see very distant objects, we are in fact looking back in time. When we look at the Sun, we are looking at Sun as it existed 8 minutes ago. I know you know all this.

So if I travel at the speed of light, and if I am an observer located on an object 1 light year away from the earth, I could potentially look at what happened on earth an year ago. If I am an observer and I can travel faster than light, then, theoretically, I could start observing as well as replaying events that occurred on the earth in the past. All I have to do is "jump" to different locations in space to observe what is happening on earth and/or what happened on earth up until now. I could see how life evolved on earth as well as replay events during evolution by being faster than light and traveling to "appropriate" locations in space. That is pretty much the same as time traveling but like I said we could only observe the past, not interact with past.
K.Universe. thumbnail
I am sorry for not understanding the context of "electron decay" but could Freethinker or V.W please walk me through it?