Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

344471 thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago

Can God create a mountain so heavy that he cannot lift it? If he can lift it, then he couldn't have made it THAT heavy - this is a blow to his omnipotence. If he can make it that heavy that it becomes impossible for him to lift it, then he has never been omnipotent to begin with.

This is something I have just recently come across. There are some explanations found on the paradox in the net too, will have to look it up.

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
What is this about God and mountains? 😆
344471 thumbnail

Originally posted by: return_to_hades

Okay - let me rephrase it for you. Can God make a hamburger so long that he cannot eat it?

😆

Go google omnipotence paradox.

_Angie_ thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Does one have to apply logic while attempting an illogical problem ?
344471 thumbnail

Originally posted by: _Angie_

So God is illogical? 😆
I understand God is beyond the scope of the natural world and hence outside the field of science, so it's not scientific/material evidence one is always demanding when it comes to God. I think it is important to maintain discussions rationally and logically, regardless of whether we are talking about something scientific or philosophical or metaphysical.
Edited by Beyond_the_Veil - 11 years ago
Freethinker112 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Beyond_the_Veil

Can God create a mountain so heavy that he cannot lift it? If he can lift it, then he couldn't have made it THAT heavy - this is a blow to his omnipotence. If he can make it that heavy that it becomes impossible for him to lift it, then he has never been omnipotent to begin with.

This is something I have just recently come across. There are some explanations found on the paradox in the net too, will have to look it up.

I read that in some article, long time ago. Paradox of omnipotent. Would link but the site is down. I have the three pages article saved to my disk.

The theists then claim God is beyond logic. He is beyond science too. And he is beyond human understanding too. But yeah, they definitely know he exists. Smells like another paradox to me. 😆

Freethinker112 thumbnail

Originally posted by: return_to_hades

People are bringing him down to earth, literally. 😆
Freethinker112 thumbnail

Contemplating whether a being, proposed to exist since the beginning of times, is there or not is illogical?
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

Reminds me of a scene from Donnie Darko

Donnie: Oh, I don't know. I mean, I'd like to believe I'm not, but I just... I've just never seen any proof, so I... I just don't debate it anymore, you know? It's like I could spend my whole life debating it over and over again, weighing the pros and cons. And in the end, I still wouldn't have any proof. So I just... I just don't debate it anymore. It's absurd.

Dr. Thurman: The search for God is absurd?

Donnie: It is if everyone dies alone.
K.Universe. thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Freethinker112

I read that in some article, long time ago. Paradox of omnipotent. Would link but the site is down. I have the three pages article saved to my disk.

The theists then claim God is beyond logic. He is beyond science too. And he is beyond human understanding too. But yeah, they definitely know he exists. Smells like another paradox to me. 😆

It's easy to pick apart most paradoxes including the "omnipotent paradox" presented here if only one is willing to spend a couple of minutes thinking. Sadly, most people refuse to think for fear of getting taxed.

BTW, theists claiming that God definitely exists is not that different from atheists claiming that God definitely doesn't exist.