Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Samanalyse thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 12 years ago
@TM: This is a wonderfully balanced post, thank you!

I'll be honest, I am a fan of the man's acting and started watching the show because he was on it. Otherwise I try to steer clear of reality shows in general. But that being said, I completely agree with everything you said. Somewhere, there is a disconnect between Gurmeet and Shampa, or more accurately Gurmeet and the dance that Shampa is trying to get out of him. I have seen him dance before and while he is no professional, he is pretty good, and I have never seen him as unsure and "trying too hard" as I have on this show.

When I first watched the act, I really liked it but then I came on the forum and saw the negative comments and they made me think. So I went back and watched his performance again online and I realised the reason I had liked it so much was because there was a lot of Gurmeet doing what he does best and what I love him for, acting. Once I focused on his dancing, specifically rather than the act in general, I realised that his dancing was technically very poor but more importantly, he wasn't connecting with the piece and the concept as a whole.

One word defined the act for me: INCONGRUOUS.

The elements were there. There was energy, there was emotion, there was a narrative (sort of) but they were not connected to each other and the piece lacked flow. It is impossible to say if Shampa's concept itself was disjointed into these three distinct pieces, or whether Gurmeet failed to understand the thread that connected them.

We obviously can't say what went wrong, or whether it was GC or Shampa's fault without access to their rehearsals, but it is pretty certain that there was a disconnect there. Gurmeet was not able to understand what Shampa was trying to convey through the piece or conversely, he was not convinced by it. Again, this lack of conviction could both be in the dance itself or his ability to execute it but these uncertainties should be dealt with ASAP to improve the impact of his performances.

One of the hardest things about teaching dance is being able to communicate it to people who are not immersed in the art. The art of weaving emotion into movement is something that dancers sometimes take for granted, which does not come naturally to people who are not intensively trained. It is possible that Shampa was able to communicate her ideas to Sushant more easily because he is a highly trained dancer himself. I watched some of their acts last night after the disappointment of the devdas thing and it is clear that Sushant gets this whole communication through movement thing without being taught. Gurmeet, on the other hand, needs to be taught because like you said, that is the depth that a platform like this demands. He is an actor and from what I saw yesterday in his act, the acting parts were great, but totally disjointed from the more literal dancing parts, when in fact, the acting should be part of the dancing and not vice versa.

I sincerely hope that more time together lends them the rapport that allows this understanding to happen, because one of the things I like about GC's acting is that he really throws every cell of his body into a scene and I would love to see that conviction and commitment translated into dance.
Edited by Samanalyse - 12 years ago
Armu4eva thumbnail
A choreographer can make a non-dancer .. to lift his performance... we saw that today with Jaysuriya... ! Agree he is miles from being called a dancer.. but jus see the choreo.. th lifts.. the steps.. all done so well..!

Shampa was the star of last season... and her concepts were awesome..! Along with Salman .. she is my fave choreo.. but this season.. she looks to be a bit off..!

GC is a hard working guy.. n makes sincere efforts... it comes thru his performances.. but yes.. he needs better steps... n m sure that in coming weeks he will only improve..! My best wishes to GC and Shampa..! Rooting for them!
76manesha thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

Armu , I would not like to compare Salman & Shampa in same category . Salman has proven himself much more then Shampa . Shampa had succeed last time . But last time she had Shushant who himself was brilliant dancer . Every Choreographer has to prove himself or herself again & again day in & day out . You can not go on saying that last year she was best . I think we must see present . To be honest she is not all innovative in her thoughts .
Rolzz thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: bambogli

<font color="#ff3366">May be he feels Drashti's dictation๐Ÿ‘ is helping him.</font>

LOL... His wife is Debina not Drashti... Please leave DD alone!!
Armu4eva thumbnail

Originally posted by: manesha76

Armu , I would not like to compare Salman & Shampa in same category . Salman has proven himself much more then Shampa . Shampa had succeed last time . But last time she had Shushant who himself was brilliant dancer . Every Choreographer has to prove himself or herself again & again day in & day out . You can not go on saying that last year she was best . I think we must see present . To be honest she is not all innovative in her thoughts .

I am not comparing... the two.. please READ MY POST .. i said they r both my faves... !

She has not been innovative in this season yet ... i already said that... ๐Ÿ˜ณ
kavmuks thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
The comment from Remo to GC was perfect - Balance between dance and the emotion is all about dance .. since in a attempt to put more power he was loosing balance.. but then he will pick it up and he is humble and politer and is ready to learn and as fan we should not appreciate mediocre work then we are not doing our duty .. our role is also to elevate their quality of work by supporting them yet giving them true feedback
stylish_VJ thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: Armu4eva

A choreographer can make a non-dancer .. to lift his performance... we saw that today with Jaysuriya... ! Agree he is miles from being called a dancer.. but jus see the choreo.. th lifts.. the steps.. all done so well..!

Shampa was the star of last season... and her concepts were awesome..! Along with Salman .. she is my fave choreo.. but this season.. she looks to be a bit off..!

GC is a hard working guy.. n makes sincere efforts... it comes thru his performances.. but yes.. he needs better steps... n m sure that in coming weeks he will only improve..! My best wishes to GC and Shampa..! Rooting for them!

Wow Tanu, you said it...I was just about to mention Jayasuriya...He is miles away from being called a dancer...He is the Non--Dancer in this lot, but can we call him a non-dancer anymore? No!!! All credit to Suchitra his Choreographer...She is one smart choreographer, and knows how to execute the act...This is where Shampa is a bit off this season...The challenge for her this season is more, because Gurmeet is not a trained dancer like Sushant, but he dances, is hard working guy, and give better performances...Lat year was a different story this year its different...I wonder why people would not understand that...But then i guess everybody has a right to express their opinion, and who would not like some healthy debate??
stylish_VJ thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: Samanalyse

@TM: This is a wonderfully balanced post, thank you!

I'll be honest, I am a fan of the man's acting and started watching the show because he was on it. Otherwise I try to steer clear of reality shows in general. But that being said, I completely agree with everything you said. Somewhere, there is a disconnect between Gurmeet and Shampa, or more accurately Gurmeet and the dance that Shampa is trying to get out of him. I have seen him dance before and while he is no professional, he is pretty good, and I have never seen him as unsure and "trying too hard" as I have on this show.

When I first watched the act, I really liked it but then I came on the forum and saw the negative comments and they made me think. So I went back and watched his performance again online and I realised the reason I had liked it so much was because there was a lot of Gurmeet doing what he does best and what I love him for, acting. Once I focused on his dancing, specifically rather than the act in general, I realised that his dancing was technically very poor but more importantly, he wasn't connecting with the piece and the concept as a whole.

One word defined the act for me: INCONGRUOUS.

The elements were there. There was energy, there was emotion, there was a narrative (sort of) but they were not connected to each other and the piece lacked flow. It is impossible to say if Shampa's concept itself was disjointed into these three distinct pieces, or whether Gurmeet failed to understand the thread that connected them.

We obviously can't say what went wrong, or whether it was GC or Shampa's fault without access to their rehearsals, but it is pretty certain that there was a disconnect there. Gurmeet was not able to understand what Shampa was trying to convey through the piece or conversely, he was not convinced by it. Again, this lack of conviction could both be in the dance itself or his ability to execute it but these uncertainties should be dealt with ASAP to improve the impact of his performances.

One of the hardest things about teaching dance is being able to communicate it to people who are not immersed in the art. The art of weaving emotion into movement is something that dancers sometimes take for granted, which does not come naturally to people who are not intensively trained. It is possible that Shampa was able to communicate her ideas to Sushant more easily because he is a highly trained dancer himself. I watched some of their acts last night after the disappointment of the devdas thing and it is clear that Sushant gets this whole communication through movement thing without being taught. Gurmeet, on the other hand, needs to be taught because like you said, that is the depth that a platform like this demands. He is an actor and from what I saw yesterday in his act, the acting parts were great, but totally disjointed from the more literal dancing parts, when in fact, the acting should be part of the dancing and not vice versa.

I sincerely hope that more time together lends them the rapport that allows this understanding to happen, because one of the things I like about GC's acting is that he really throws every cell of his body into a scene and I would love to see that conviction and commitment translated into dance.

I have always been a avid reader of your post on PV forum, and love to read your perspective there...๐Ÿ˜Š

Well Dance is something can really talk about, and i know what i wrote when i wrote it...I would never wanna write something serious, or discussion worthy for the sake of simply writing...I am happy many of you have understood what the post means and given your awesome comments...

This is exactly what i have been trying to say. One cannot term it as fault, but then what better and simple word than fault? In JDJ dancing is a team effort...Partner work is very important...GC is not a non dancer, he is not a trained or professional dancer, but he is Good...I know he is only two performance old on this show, but JDJ follows a tricky format and you need to show that you are the best from Day one...Trust me i have followed this show all 4 seasons and thus i can say this...

GC was beyond excellent in the acting part of it...But JDJ is abt dance, and there he faltered...Shampa chose a great concept but she faltered big time in the story telling process of it...Things were different last here, this year there is a new Challenge in front of Shampa, she needs to train a untrained dancer, its never going to be easy...Each and every aspect, from style to expressions, to body language, to timing, coordination, lifts, sync, everything needs to looked into...Both GC and Shampa should see to it that these things are corrected before their actual presentation on stage and Shampa, being the choreographer here should look into it 10 times more than GC...

I too hope that they do better in the days to come...and wish them all the best๐Ÿ˜Š
Samanalyse thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
^^Good to hear the opinion of someone who has watched the show for so long. ๐Ÿ˜Š I can speak from experience of watching GC himself, and also from the perspective of a trained dancer, but I am totally new to the way the show works. Seeing the first few episodes and reading your comments, I can understand now, that you have to prove your worth from performance to performance. The performances, it seems, are never judged on any sort of cumulative basis so it always depends on what you put out that day, nothing more or less.

I have finally come to the conclusion that while Gurmeet is a fine dancer, he is used to dance being a part of acting, where it is an interlude or a complement to the story. On JDJ, the exact opposite is true because it is a show centred around dance where acting is only important insofar as it complements the dance itself, and the dance is the story, rather than an accessory to it. That connection has not been made for him yet, which is why his performance had such distinct acting bits and dancing bits.

I hope that as a team, he and Shampa are able to recognise this, work with it, and come up with great stuff in the coming rounds. ๐Ÿ˜Š

PS: You read my writing on PV? Thanks for telling me that; it made my night! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
Edited by Samanalyse - 12 years ago
.shona. thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
I don't know about GC but I am definitely disappointed with shampa.