Hariharan's point of public voting

kishore_bhakta thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago

Greetings, everybody!

I just finished watching the 18th episode today and I agree with Hariharan that art cannot be quantified by people. Just because the majority of people does one thing doesn't make it right. Can one really measure how much energy one can infuse?

Think about what the votes say. A person votes for their favorite candidate. One must understand that everyone has their own favorites. Once the votes are all tallied up, the candidate with the least fans are eliminated. Imagine if we treated our legendary singers like this. If you were to look at a club of music fans, you will see that Rafisaab has a bigger fan following, then Kishoreda, and then Mukesh. Is it really fair to say that just because Mukesh has a smaller fan following, it is right to neglect their space?

HAVING SAID TIHS....

Since public voting eliminated great singers from the beginning of C-2005 and EMET, I think it would be a shame of their exits to stop public voting now. Finish EMET off with public voting and I HOPE I HOPE I HOPE GS will get the hint that he does not need to compete with other shows or try too hard to compete with SRGMP's glory.

If you want to talk about glory, yesterday's episode with late Naushad Ali's tribute said it all.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

soulsoup thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Bhakta ji - what you said is correct. Art can't be appreciated by democratic choice - at least for a certain extent - I am s strong believer of that.

But in today's rat race of TRP - do you think it's possible for Gajendra ji to convince Zee management the fact that they should go back to the old format of SRGMP?

susmitha3 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
The original image of SAREGAMAPA is lost on the whole these days.
Shweta06 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: soulsoup

Bhakta ji - what you said is correct. Art can't be appreciated by democratic choice - at least for a certain extent - I am s strong believer of that.

But in today's rat race of TRP - do you think it's possible for Gajendra ji to convince Zee management the fact that they should go back to the old format of SRGMP?

answer is NO !! have you guz seen TGLIC format ? where they give verdict there itself after considering Judges + Audience points and then ask public to save runner up by SMS - this way best jodi will still in the game based on that days performace.

my 2 cents

*Jaya* thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

I just miss the old SaReGaMa... It used to such a musical bonanza... and through the show, we could also enjoy the presence of some the musical greats.. from that golden history, it has come down to a lowest point in EMAET, with singing completely lost behind performance and chemistry and public voting just for their favorites irrespective of how the singing is... Even the celebrities that we get these days in the show are just nowhere related to music! The singers themselves are confused because of all the scripted drama going around, and the judges dont help either.. while one of them asks for dance even in a sad song, the other also doesnot seem to be consistent as far as judging is considered..

The show has just gone down the drain.. But what Zee gets in return are all the TRPs and the huge huge revenue from the votes and the sponsors! And once someone gets used to the money and the glitz & the glamor, it doesn't seem that one can go back from that... Reality television is 'the' entertainment hotspot today, and even if scripted, SRGMP tries to provide exactly that to the masses.. So I would think that it will never be able to go back to its golden old musical days, how much ever we - the musiclovers would pray for it! Sad, Unfortunate - but Reality

Too_Much thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
bhakta ji...u are right and after this competition there will be no challenge til 1 year so no public voting.....old format will be back coz in this competition he didnt got much profit itwas like all income level 😉
chatbuster thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

but without patrons, hard to keep the art going on. how many "gunijan" that we know of would be prepared to patronize the arts, especially if it came down to shelling money out of their pockets? the rich folks that i can think of would rather "patronize" a SRK or an Amitabh Bacchan and have them dance at their wedding functions, but i havent seen or heard of them seriously supporting serious artistic performances. and let's not expect the TV channels to do so. they are corporations with a mandate to make money for their millions of shareholders. expecting the government to get involved is also wrong. that would take away scarce resources that might be better spent in helping out the poor and really needy.

in any other place, at any other time in history, it has usually been the private wealthy individuals who have come forward. i am not sure we can expect that from the wealthy in our society. fwiw, however much some might rant against the west, their spirit of giving and generosity to my mind is unmatched.

given this sorry state of affairs, where we dont have private support, we have to then rely on "democratic" layman support. then it's only fair they get what they pay for. at least they are paying.

Edited by chatbuster - 18 years ago
soulsoup thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: chatbuster

but without patrons, hard to keep the art going on. how many "gunijan" that we know of would be prepared to patronize the arts, especially if it came down to shelling money out of their pockets? the rich folks that i can think of would rather "patronize" a SRK or an Amitabh Bacchan and have them dance at their wedding functions, but i havent seen or heard of them seriously supporting serious artistic performances. and let's not expect the TV channels to do so. they are corporations with a mandate to make money for their millions of shareholders. expecting the government to get involved is also wrong. that would take away scarce resources that might be better spent in helping out the poor and really needy.

in any other place, at any other time in history, it has usually been the private wealthy individuals who have come forward. i am not sure we can expect that from the wealthy in our society. fwiw, however much some might rant against the west, their spirit of giving and generosity to my mind is unmatched.

given this sorry state of affairs, where we dont have private support, we have to then rely on "democratic" layman support. then it's only fair they get what they pay for. at least they are paying.

Dejavu 😆😆😆

Rahul I was thinking about you when I was posting this - seriously!

Well, you know my viewpoint - and I know yours - what to say more. But I agree with you some extent - without patronization of public - nothing can exists in this market economy!

Let me ask the old Q again - how many here used to watch SRGMP before C2005?

chatbuster thumbnail

Dejavu 😆😆😆

Rahul I was thinking about you when I was posting this - seriously!

Well, you know my viewpoint - and I know yours - what to say more. But I agree with you some extent - without patronization of public - nothing can exists in this market economy!

Let me ask the old Q again - how many here used to watch SRGMP before C2005?

yaar, i am not talking of the public for the heck of it. am just saying that someone has to patronize the arts. in the west, it's been the rockefellers, the guggenheims etc. In times past, it was royalty or the landed gentry. in our society, we dont have the rich supporting the arts. so what's the option? public. whether we like it or not, without the patronage, we have situations where gifted people dont get money for treatment.

incidentally, what have most of the folks who rail against the new sgmp format been up to? did they ever spend a dime out of their pockets to support the old format? of course, aside from subscribing to zee, a subsciption which in any case came loaded with other shows and other channels? see, there is no real support even from the music gunijan. as long as we are not prepared to spend our own money, why should we have any high expectations?

chatbuster thumbnail
"Let me ask the old Q again - how many here used to watch SRGMP before C2005"

Anol, good question.

i wld watch it maybe once in a while, that too mostly accidentally if i happened to come upon it while channel surfing. became very regular with c2005. now watch emaet but am not riveted to it like i was to c2005. have also missed some emaet episodes but have not lost any sleep over that.😊
Edited by chatbuster - 18 years ago