Annu Kapoor back with biwi No 1

monika.goel thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
Annu Kapoor back with biwi No 1
By: Sandipan Dalal
April 14, 2006

Annu Kapoor with Arunita
Annu Kapoor has abandoned his second wife Arunita and five-year-old daughter, Aradhita. According to the wife, he has stopped providing financial assistance and has been pressurising them to vacate their Oshiwara flat.

At his 50th birthday bash speech, he referred to — his first wife — US-based Anupama Patel (Pammi) as his legally wedded wife.

Says biwi no 2, Arunita, "I was shocked to learn from a report carried in MiD DAY (Annu Kapoor's 50th birthday, HiTLIST, Februaury 23, 2006) that Pammi has been addressed as the wife, while we are still legally married. He has been verbally abusing me and pushing me to leave Mumbai with my daughter and go back to my parents in Kolkata."

Sa re ga pow vow

Arunita met Annu on the sets of Close-Up Antakshari in 1994. They tied the knot on February 15, 1995 in Kolkata. Says Arunita, "It was a Hindu Vedic social marriage and also registered under the Hindu Marriage Act." After marriage, Arunita learnt about Kapoor's first marriage. When confronted, Annu assured her that he had divorced Anupama in 1993. But failed to show the divorce papers.

Adds Arunita, "Not only he kept me in the dark about his marriage. But he also evaded the topic of the divorce papers, when I brought it up."

Separate bedrooms

After daughter Aradhita was born in 2001, their marriage started seeing a rough phase. Says Arunita, "He moved out of the bedroom saying the baby disturbed him but my marriage really started crumbling down when I learnt that he was having an affair with a small-time actress. Annu confessed that he was having an affair but he returned to me a little later."

Annu Kapoor with Anupama
The first sign

Arunita first knew things were wrong when in 2003, she happened to read documents of Annu's holiday with Anupama.

She says , "They had stayed together in hotels during the tour. When I confronted him, he accepted it. This is when I decided to end our marriage. I filed a case for divorce in May 2005 from Kolkata. He appealed for a transfer of the case and it has been passed on to the Bombay Family Court."

Meanwhile, Kapoor moved out of his Oshiwara flat and is living with Anupama.

When contacted, Annu refused to comment, "The matter is before court, so I wouldn't want to make any comments."

His legal adviser, Mrinalini Deshmukh adds, "There is a petition that has been filed, which will dealt by the Bombay Family Court. Any statement made by any of the parties is not done, because the matter is subjudice