Users

Frequent Posters

Qwest thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
FAMILY TIES
Bonding Hariharan style
Nandhini Sundar
Behind all that jazz and gazal, Hariharan is a simple man loving every moment he spends with his family.
Known for his long hair, beads and flashy image, singer Hariharan has been enthralling millions with his golden voice. Recipient of many awards, the gazal singer is down to earth to a fault. He's currently vacationing in the City with his family, and Metrolife caught up with them for a chat.

"Inspired by the songs of Mehndi Hassan, I forayed into ghazals. Ghazals offer a lot of scope for innovations unlike classical music. You can take one sentence and give it 20 different interpretations," he said to a question on his music. As for becoming a singer, "I never thought until I met Ustad Ghulam Mustafa Khan and got more involved in music. After my fourth year in college, I knew this is what I wanted to do."

Complementing him is his wife Lalitha. "Not many know that ours was an arranged marriage. I wore a Kancheepuram sari with flowers in my hair. My parents were there as well as his uncle and mother."

Breaking free

Given the busy schedule, Hariharan laments about not having enough time for his family. "I try to take a break whenever I can to spend time with them."

Chips in Lalitha, "We then take off on these vacations. A few years back we went to Africa and spent six weeks on a Safari. It was wonderful," chips in Lalitha.

Does spending less time spell fewer arguments? "There are," says Lalitha, "But they are resolved as he gives in most of the time. Like a typical artiste, his thoughts fade into music while I'm more practical, remember and persist till I have my way," she adds with a laugh.

Of father and sons

Their children, Akshay and Karan, share their father's passion for music. While Akshay plays the guitar, the younger Karan is more stage friendly.

"He was three when he went up on stage where Hari was performing and introduced himself to the audience as his son!" says Lalitha proudly.

"My sons are like my friends," adds Hariharan. On a more philosophical note, he says, "Children are with us for a very short time, we need to make time for them when they are available. Once older, they don't have time for you and if you have not bonded with them by then, it becomes difficult. Coming from a middle class background, I feel, it is important to instil the right values into them."

For Lalitha, marriage to a celebrity poses problems, as "I can't go out with him to the grocers or make him run errands. We have weekdays not weekends as Hari performs during weekends. But I feel happy when people appreciate his work."

Special song

Any special songs that he sings for her, we ask and she declares happily, "All that he sings is for me." The first album of Colonial Cousins was a hit while the second wasn't. "The second had an American blending, it was supposed to be launched in the US which didn't happen." Any new albums? "Lahore Ke Rang – Hari Ke Sang will be released in India in a couple of months. It has already been released in the UK and Europe and is on top of the charts in Pakistan."

Though wedded to music, he loves to "travel and visit obscure places where I can watch people, absorb their culture, get a feel of the place and their way of life. I've done it widely in England, want to do the same in India."

As for his long hair and flashy image, "I wear flashy things simply because I feel like. At one point of time I wore beads and things, now I don't. I still sport long hair, earlier it was longer. I have a pair of green pants, red shoes…." And the family simply smiles as he says that.

Edited by Qwest - 18 years ago
Qwest thumbnail

I Am a Student of Music: Hariharan

The versatile singer on what music means to him.

BY VEENA RAO

The peppered ponytail is pretty much in place. Backstage at the Robert Ferst Center for the Arts at Georgia Tech after his Atlanta concert, he politely shakes hands, smiles and chats up with his crowd of admirers, switching from English to Hindi to Tamil as only a Bombayaite Tamilian can.

If he is tired and jet lagged, (he arrived from India the previous evening) he doesn't show it. He is pleased as punch with the audience response. "This was a great kick-off concert. The audience was very receptive," he says. His month-long tour of US cities ends with a concert in Tampa on September 18th.

In the midst of a horde of fans, this world musician takes time to chat up with this reporter.

Hariharan the musician is forever a student of music, he says. It means constantly moving with the times, being innovative, and learning.

His music is proof enough of his innovative spirit. From Carnatic to Hindustani, ghazals to fusion, pop to Urdu Blues, Hariharan's music transverses the entire spectrum of music.

Born to renowned Carnatic vocalists, the late H. A. S. Mani and Alamelu, Hariharan's childhood was grounded in Carnatic music. Later, in his teens, he started training in Hindustani music from Ustad Ghulam Mustafa Khan. He was also greatly inspired by Mehdi Hassan, and developed a deep passion for ghazals.

Growing up in Mumbai, he was also influenced by Catholic choral music, which possibly explains his love of fusion and for his innovative trend that he calls 'Urdu Blues'- soulful ghazals with a jazzy feel to it.

He admits that the market for ghazals has declined considerably. "You don't see a ghazal wave. It is just 3-4 singers that are holding fort now." The same goes for all non-filmi music, he adds. "Hindi pop did come on the scene a few years ago. But then this element was taken over by Bollywood. So Hindi pop became filmi. So now you've got to redefine pop. That's important."

And what about the scene down south? "At the moment, Tamil pop doesn't exist. But if supported with good videos, there could be a market for it."

Good videos. The master of innovation agrees that it is important to be seen in music videos in order to survive in this industry. "The visual media is very strong. So music videos have become necessary these days."

After years of boundary breaking music, is an international tie-up the next step in his multihued musical career? "It is too early to talk about it, but yes definitely that is a possibility."

Innovation, reach, appreciation… What drives Hariharan the musician? "To make people happy," he says simply. "Give them peace, solitude and spirituality." Over the years, Hariharan has done just that, be it with ghazals, film music, fusion or Urdu Blues.

The swarm of fans around him is proof enough of how he has warmed hearts and touched souls with his music.

Edited by Qwest - 18 years ago
Qwest thumbnail

Originally posted by: ad_0112

Wow .. truly informative πŸ‘ πŸ‘ πŸ‘

Thanks Adi for visiting this thread.
soulsoup thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Qwest

"My sons are like my friends," adds Hariharan. On a more philosophical note, he says, "Children are with us for a very short time, we need to make time for them when they are available. Once older, they don't have time for you and if you have not bonded with them by then, it becomes difficult. Coming from a middle class background, I feel, it is important to instil the right values into them."

πŸ‘

As for his long hair and flashy image, "I wear flashy things simply because I feel like. At one point of time I wore beads and things, now I don't. I still sport long hair, earlier it was longer. I have a pair of green pants, red shoes…." And the family simply smiles as he says that.

😲😲 πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†
Edited by soulsoup - 18 years ago

Word Count: 1

Qwest thumbnail
soulsoup ji, Thanks for finding time.
soulsoup thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

soulsoup ji, Thanks for finding time.

Qwest Bhai - I always read almost all the great article you post (well - there are some exceptions - you know what I am talking about πŸ˜‰)

BTW: usually I use the print thread link (at the bottom left) and convert the articles of my choice to PDF. ( Shri Hariharan )

Give it a try! 😊

Free PDF converter download here :
www.primopdf.com
Edited by soulsoup - 18 years ago
Qwest thumbnail

Originally posted by: soulsoup

Qwest Bhai - I always read almost all the great article you post (well - there are some exceptions - you know what I am talking about πŸ˜‰)

BTW: usually I use the print thread link (at the bottom left) and convert the articles of my choice to PDF. Give it a try! 😊

Free PDF converter download here :
www.primopdf.com

Anol Da , thanks for that tip I do it in a hard way now I have easy way.Thanks again.
makaveli313 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
wow .... gr8 job... Hariji rocks .. and those ppl who say he's not successful and stuff .. just ssshhhhh ... coz hariji rocks... Leslie as well
makaveli313 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
One very powerful song in the album is "Let me see the love", in which Hariharan scales through Hamsathwani raga in three octaves, hitting the lowest and highest notes with equal facility.

what's that ????