Leslie Lewis and Hariharan

TV

Hariharan on Vijay
Edited by Qwest - 18 years ago
Qwest thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
Life at 50
"But my vocal chords are not more than 25," says Hariharan in an interview to CHITRA SWAMINATHAN.

Crooning glory: Hariharan. Photo: Vino John.
MORE OFTEN than not, life is about the art of reinvention. And the pony-tailed ghazal singer, Hariharan, excels in it. While you wait to meet the versatile crooner, thinking that he will walk in clad in the usual churidhar-kurta and shawl, Hariharan arrives looking dapper in jeans, T and a jacket. One can't miss noticing his stylish pair of shoes either. "Actually I was planning to come in shorts but my wife thought it was too much," he laughs. Having just participated in "Isaiyodu Pirandhein" (born with music), a music programme organised by Vijay TV to celebrate his 50th birthday, Hariharan quips, "It is just another occasion to sing. What better way to mark my life's golden jubilee than walking down musical lane! Listen, I may be 50 but my vocal chords are not more than 25," Hariharan smiles mischievously. "Over the years, many positive things have happened to me - good music, fame and fans. Life's journey would not have been possible without the love and trust of my co-singers and musicians. So, any celebration would be incomplete without them. And it's always exciting for an artiste to perform for a live audience. Even today, when I go up on stage, I can feel butterflies in my stomach." Senior artistes such as S.P. Balasumbramium and Chitra had participated in the Vijay TV programme besides many young singers. Though he sings ghazals, classical, pop, fusion and film music, when you quiz Hariharan about his first love, "it's obviously ghazals," he says. "It comes through quite strongly in my singing. Besides, if you are trained in classical, it's easier to handle any kind of music. The weight of the swaras, the technique and calculations make you a methodical singer, who can infuse soul into singing." Road to success But success didn't happen to him overnight. In his own words: "It was like walking through a dimly lit passage at the end of which there was so much light." In 1977, after winning the All India Sur Sangeet competition, he got his first playback singing assignment from music director Jaidev for the film "Gaman". His ghazal "Ajeeb saane hai mujh par qarar" in the film got him instant recognition. By then, he had also started giving ghazal concerts and cutting successful albums such as "Absaar-e-ghazal' with Asha Bhonsle and "Gulfam". "Recently, I recorded an album in Lahore with Pakistani composers and musicians. It was an exciting collaboration." The stylish crooner does not agree that in this age of Deejay-ing and remixes, audiences at ghazal shows are thinning, "I still do at least four shows a month. There are die-hard ghazal lovers, who tell me to stick to ghazals. Personally, I feel stifled to limit myself musically. Because it's melody that drives me, not the form." Going into a rewind mode, he adds, "With a pucca Tamilian name, it was not easy to establish myself. My first exercise was to perfect my language, particularly Urdu for ghazal singing. The real challenge was to get the correct diction. I would practise for hours together. Today, when you draw an audience of 10,000 while performing in London and Germany, you feel like patting yourself for all the hard work." If ghazals made him a connoisseurs' delight, films (Rahman opened the floodgates) paved the way for mass appeal and fusion (Colonial Cousins) made him Gen Y's favourite. "I have sung several hit songs in Hindi films ("Lamhe", "Border"), but singing for Naushad sahab for Akbar Khan's forthcoming film "Taj Mahal" was a great opportunity. At 84, the legendary music composer's dedication actually makes you emotional." More than Bollywood, Hariharan has sung several songs that have become chartbusters in Kollywood, starting with "Roja" in 1993. Remix trend Surprisingly, he is uncritical of the remix trend. "It's okay if due credit and respect are accorded to the original. At least, it will connect youngsters to a bygone era. May be grandfathers and grandsons can now listen to the same songs but I hope they don't watch the video together," he laughs heartily. On a more serious note, he adds, "Remix is not as easy as it sounds on the ear. It is not just about adding new rhythms to an old tune. The beauty is in retaining the essence of the song and the feel of the period." It's not remixes, but the overdone dappankoothu pattu (raucous) in films that puts off a singer. "Earlier 3 out of 20 songs were dappankoothus, sadly now it is 18. There is only orchestra and no emotions. So, imagine the plight of popular music. Luckily, without my demanding it, I get to sing melodious numbers with decent lyrics. I have grown up listening to the bhava-laden music of stalwarts such as Ramnad Krishnan, Mali, T. Brinda, Ustad Amir Khan and of course, my mother Alamelu (also his guru)." But one song that turns him on is Lionel Ritchie's "Hello". "That's the way I am. I can dream about dating Julia Roberts, at the same time, the plight of the poor moves me." His two teenaged sons, Akshay and Karan, though musically inclined, have not made a foray into the field. If not his art, do they try aping their father's style? "My elder son wanted to grow his hair but I said no. Not when you are studying." The showman-singer personally loves to experiment with his looks. "When you are in the show business, you can afford to do so. I think I always had it in me. But success and popularity gave me the confidence to exhibit it. I love to shop for trendy outfits, accessories and spectacle frames. And what about his much written about hairstyle?

"When I realised it was getting more mileage than my vocal chords, I started pampering it with the help of my hair dresser. Doesn't it look healthier now, he laughs running his fingers through his bushy ponytail.

soulsoup thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Qwest Bhai - did you PMed Bhaskar to add this at the Special thread?
Qwest thumbnail
Review

Blues, greens, yellows ... the ghazal's many hues Kaash means 'if'. Hariharan's first ghazal album in years binds Afro-American beats to Urdu poetry, and it's an experiment that produces at least three fine numbers Kaash

Urdu blues. You haven't heard of that genre before? Well, that's the label Hariharan gives his new album. "The mood in ghazals and in blues is the same. And so I thought why not use this language and that music," says he. And that's how Indian poetry meets Afro-American rhythms on this album. Kaash is Hariharan's first ghazal album in many years. I had looked forward to it very eagerly. Until I saw the music video. Hackneyed. It tries to impress you with a show of affluence. Two men sit in a swank bar, one nursing his whisky and the other some fancy cocktail. The man with the stubble has had a tiff with his girlfriend, which he indicates through fashionable grimaces. Hariharan sings Maikade bandh, a part-philosophical, part-romantic number, in the background. The bar may be closed, he says, but the city has lots of beauties who can get you drunk with their eyes. The drinking over, the two friends part, and Hariharan arrives in a white Mercedes to offer a lift to the dejected lover. Okay, okay, we know you rich folks have your sorrows, but must you use them as a pretext to flaunt your money before lesser mortals? Shekhar Suman invited Hariharan to his Movers and Shakers chat show and said, "Whatever you call it -- Urdu blues or greens or yellows -- we wish you all the best." I hadn't heard the album or seen the video, and his remark had sounded facetious and insensitive to Hariharan's experiment. I forgave Shekhar after watching the video. Does that mean the album's pretentious? No. Early in his career, Hariharan recorded quite a few ghazal albums like Reflections, Horizon and Dil ki Baat. In the last five years, he has been singing regularly in films, and has had little time for ghazal albums. Kaash took Hariharan a whole year to complete. He says he is grateful Ustad Rais Khan agreed to adorn his songs with his sitar. The other stars accompanying him are Ustad Sultan Khan on the sarangi and Sivamani on drums. The soft title song has a piano and sitar accompanying it, and you hear ghazal-like improvisations somewhere in the middle when Hariharan takes off in raga Jog. Ustad Rais Khan's sitar is the highlight of Ye aina se. He plays delicate improvisations on the tune, based on raga Bhim Palas. The beat and chords are very much blues, and the sitar makes stylish forays into unexpected notes, especially the tivra madhyam. Jhoom le and Hun ne ek shaam are very competently rendered, but are unremarkable tunewise, and you will have to get to the other side of the tape before you hear the really exciting songs. Maikade bandh, the first number on Side B, is a conventional ghazal tune with a rare blues grace or two. Hariharan avoids the conventional ghazal orchestra of the harmonium, sarangi and the tabla. A drum and bass guitar accompany him throughout, and give the song a texture that's different from the traditional ghazal's. In the first interlude you hear southern rhythm on the ghatam and khanjira, and some strains on the sitar. I liked the next song better. Aadhi raat guzar gayi takes exotic Arabian excursions and returns to raga Ahir Bhairav. It's about the loss of sleep, and captures a certain dreamy desolation though it's set to a lively tempo. Hariharan's rigorous classical training is in full flow in Aandhiyaan, which shows strong shades of ragas derived from the Puriya scale. I especially loved the warm violins (conducted by Ousephachan) playing the interludes, now leading you to believe they're doing raga Amritavarshini and then surprising you with Puriya Dhanasri phrases. Hariharan is best in Ab ke baras, which he sings with more feeling than any other song on this album. Is there raga Madhuvanti in it somewhere? Yes, and some intricate Karnatak-sounding phrases. Did you know that Hariharan learnt Karnatak music from his mother Alamelu Mani? The evocative orchestra of violins, cello (Shekar) and flute (Navin) is complemented by deep, wistful veena phrases (A K Devi). The storm in the background and the unhurried, step-like rhythm make this a stylish experiment. I forgave Hariharan the Mercedes video after hearing this song! I am not so sure Kaash gives you "a new sound", as Hariharan has been saying, but it is indeed an album put together with a great deal of love and effort. Hariharan used studios in Chennai, Mumbai and London and got fine instrumentalists for the recording. As an experiment, it's far superior to and much more artistically successful than something like Madhosh, the Ghulam Ali album that messes up ghazals with silly drum beats. Sivamani's drumming is nowhere overdone, and the orchestra is rich and acoustic. Music lovers who have managed to protect their taste from the balle balle onslaught will definitely appreciate the subtle artistry on Side B of Kaash.

Amritamati S

Qwest thumbnail

Hariharan
Born in Bombay on April 3rd, 1955, Hariharan has bachelors degrees in science and law. The son of renowned Carnatic vocalists, the late Ananthasubramani ("H. A. S. Mani") from Trivandrum and Shrimati Alamelu, Hariharan naturally inherited his parents' musical talents. Mom was Hariharan's first guruji. From her he picked up Carnatic music skills.
Hariharan's parents were musically open-minded and the young Hariharan was encouraged to listen to Hindustani music. Later, in his teens, inspired by the songs of Mehdi Hassan, Hariharan developed a passion for ghazals and started training in Hindustani music from Ustad Ghulam Mustafa Khan. He used to put in nine hours of singing practice everyday. Hariharan's affinity for ghazals lies in the fact that ghazals offer, in his words, "immense scope for innovation". The committed Hariharan also put heart and soul into learning Urdu when he decided to become a ghazal singer. He has perfected his Urdu diction to such standards that even his audiences in Lucknow, the heartland of the language, have been wowed over.
In 1977 Hariharan bagged the top prize in the All-India Sur Singaar competition and was promptly signed on by the late music director Jaidev to sing for the Hindi film "Gaman". His ghazal "Ajeeb saane he mujh par qarar" in that movie became such a hit that it won Hariharan an Uttar Pradesh state award, and Hariharan's playback singing career began.
In his early years Hariharan did the concert circuit and also performed on TV. He sang for a number of TV serials, e.g., "Junoon". In addition, he cut several successful ghazal albums. He wrote the scores himself for most of these ghazal albums. One of Hariharan's first ghazal albums was "Abshaar-e-Ghazal" with Asha Bhosle, which scored Gold in sales. Another outstanding ghazal album was "Gulfam", which not only hit Double Platinum in sales but also fetched Hariharan the Diva Award for the Best Album of the Year in 1994. Meanwhile, Hariharan sang in a number of Hindi movies such as "Sahibaan", "Lamhe", "Raam Nagari", "Dard Ke Rishte", Zamana" and "Sindoor".

The Bombay-based Hariharan made his debut in the Tamil singing world in 1993 with the patriotic hit song "Thamizha thamizha" in "Roja" under the baton of A R Rehman. Two years later, Hariharan was adjudged "Best Male Playback Singer" in the Tamilnadu State Government Film Awards for 1995. It was teasing manner in which he sang "Konjanaal poru thalaivaa" (Aasai) that won Hariharan this honour. Subsequently, Tamil singing assignments began pouring in for Hariharan, and today there is no doubt that he is the most sought-after singer in South India.

The year 1996 was a milestone in Hariharan's career, when the release of the Indian-English fusion album "Colonial Cousins" skyrocketed him to unprecedented fame. A collaborative effort with Bombay-based composer/singer Leslie Lewis, "Colonial Cousins" became the first Indian act to be featured on MTV Unplugged and also won the pair a string of national and international awards, including the MTV Indian Viewers' Choice award and US Billboards award. In this album, Hariharan has proven his boundless virtuosity. He has also co-written the musical scores for some of the pieces. One very powerful song in the album is "Let me see the love", in which Hariharan scales through Hamsathwani raga in three octaves, hitting the lowest and highest notes with equal facility. Another interesting piece is "Feel Alright", in which Hariharan sings the English lyrics in typical Indian folk style, complete with gamaks. In "Rain" and "Tere mere aankhon", the ghazal singer comes to the fore subtly, while in "Krishna" and "It's gonna be alright", the Carnatic singer in Hariharan surfaces. The other songs in the album are equally melodious and showcase Hariharan's hitherto little-known versatility.

Another milestone year was 1998, when the patriotic song "Mere dushman mere bhai" from the Hindi movie "Border" won Hariharan the coveted National Award for "Best Male Playback Singer". That award capped a quest for excellence that started 20 years earlier when "Ajeeb saane he mujh par qarar" from "Gaman" won Hariharan a nomination for the National Award.

Hariharan has developed a distinctive style of his own even though he admires the late Mohd Rafi and Kishore Kumar as well as S P Balasubramaniam and K J Jesudas. The long-underrated singer has finally arrived and will remain a permanent fixture on the Indian musical scene for a long time to come.

sreejan thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
some of his tamil songs if anyone interested to listen.......few of my favourites 😊

Edited by sreejan - 18 years ago
advil thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Wow .. truly informative 👏 👏 👏
Qwest thumbnail

Originally posted by: sreejan

here is the link to that song

I would like to thank you for your effort and taking time to list all those beautiful songs. Again thank you.

Qwest thumbnail

The Post "Colonial" Hariharan

Successful, creative, and exploring new vistas
SHOBHA HIATT, Oct 07, 2002

In the morning light that filters into the hotel lounge, he looks relaxed and totally at ease. As if he has all the time in the world. It is hard to imagine that just a few hours ago, he was on stage singing soulful ghazals to a sold-out crowd in Hayward for four straight hours. I ask him about the concert. Yes, it had been a great success, he says in his attractively pitched voice. The audience had not wanted the night to end. And yes, it was all a bit disorienting. After all this was his 13th concert in as many days. New York, Los Angeles, New Orleans, Chicago, San Francisco, Calgary, Toronto—the cities, the hotel rooms, the faces, have all passed by in a triumphant blur but he is enjoying it tremendously. And there is more to come as he sings his way across the U.S. and Canada on his first North American tour in nearly 15 years.

Clearly, the years of struggling for a break, of being overlooked and underestimated are behind veteran singer Hariharan now. The ripples made by Colonial Cousins, the fusion mega hit album that catapulted him and Bombay-based singer Leslie Lewis to instant stardom, have not completely subsided. The duo won the 1996 U.S. Billboards Award and the MTV Indian Viewer's Choice Award for this album. He has become a tremendously sought-after playback singer for Hindi and Tamil films ever since A.R. Rahman showcased his voice in the film Roja. And most importantly, he has earned himself a formidable reputation as a ghazal singer with a distinctive, personal style. Three of his ghazal albums, Gulfaam, Kash, and Hazir, have made it to the top.

A singer with an impeccable classical training to fall back on, Hariharan says he is "fearless" when it comes to experimentation. He has tried ad jingles and classical concerts and everything in between. Things have not always worked out but he "kept on going." His energy is boundless and there are many projects in the works at the moment. On the current tour he recorded some local musicians in New Orleans and Toronto. They will be featured in his next international album due for release at the end of this year. There is also future collaboration in the works with some American artists and though he won't give details, Hariharan says it will definitely be "the logical next step" in his musical journey.
The first step of that musical journey began at home in Bombay where Hariharan was born and brought up. How did a South Indian science and law graduate enter the world of music and end up making it his career? During our interview Hariharan answered this and many other questions with a mixture of earnestness and good humor.

Tell me a bit about your early music training.

I began training in Karnatik music under my mother. It was more than training, it was osmosis. Though my parents were both Karnatik singers, we listened to all kinds of music at home. We used to listen to Ustad Amir Khan, Ravi Shankar ji, and a lot of other great musicians. Studying with one's mother you can't do much … mummy hai akhir. Then one day I stumbled on a recording of Bhopal Todi in Naiki Kanada sung by Ghulam Mustafa Khan saab. And I was zapped. I told my mother I would like to learn music from him. At the age of 19 I became his shagird (student) and began learning khayals from him. Khan saab is from the Rampur—Sahaswan Gharana. In order to learn Hindustani style I had to unlearn some of the Karnatik style I had picked up. Everything is very different—the tonal quality etc. I stopped singing Karnatik for a while. Aur Khan saab se taleem hasil karne laga. Even today I go to him for guidance.

What got you started on your musical career?

I met a great human being, who I call my friend, philosopher, and guide. His name was Jaidev-ji and he gave me my first break in his film Gaman. Then a lot of things followed. I sang for Laxmikant Pyarelal, Usha Khanna, R.D. Burman and Shiv-Hari for the film Lamhe. I wouldn't say they were great breaks but I kept going. When I began singing ghazals, it was Jaidev-ji who suggested that I learn Urdu to improve my pronunciation.

How did you get interested in singing ghazals?

In 1978 I met Mehdi Hassan saab. After hearing him I was very inspired to pursue the style of music called ghazal. It has everything. You can use your khayal, your classical innovations—it's middle-of-the-road music. It's got poetry, it's got rhythm, and I thought it was great. It was funny … in 1980 I was like the Lone Ranger, this one South Indian guy singing ghazals, of all things! I enjoyed it though. Since 1980 I have made about 25 albums of ghazals.

How did you go about evolving your own style of singing?

I was definitely struggling to get an identity. I had my own voice, my own style, and people had to get used to it. It's all a question of identification. The moment people remember your voice you are popular. If you think about Kishore Kumar you can hear his voice, can't you? I struggled for 10-12 years. Nothing phenomenal happened. But I did reach some people and sometimes at my concerts they ask for compositions from my earlier days … makes me feel good. Throughout the '80s I performed and soon had a niche audience.

I like music to communicate—to touch people who listen to it. They should feel it is personal. I like to converse through my music.

You "arrived" in the 1990s. What do you attribute this to?

In the '90s I met A.R. Rahman who first called me to sing a jingle for Ponds or some such product. Then he asked me to record a song for an upcoming movie called Roja produced and directed by Mani Ratnam. In 1994 Bombay was released and the song I sang in it "Tu Hi Re" became a big hit. So it was as if Rahman exhibited my kind of voice and gave it a huge commercial perspective. At the same time three of my ghazal albums Gulfaam, Reflections, and Hazir (which I did with Zakir Hussain) became popular as well. In 1996 came Colonial Cousins with Leslie Lewis and that added to the profile. I started out with ghazals, went into films, and ended up with fusion.

How adventurous are you in your exploration of music? Are you afraid that people will see you as catering to the popular culture … selling out?

Oh, I am very adventurous. I have never played it safe. When we started up Colonial Cousins people got confused initially. They said "Man, what's happening? Has Hariharan suddenly become Harry?" But they came around eventually and because I sing two or three different styles of music I don't get boxed in any one category. All said and done, whether I am singing a ghazal, a Hindi song, or Tamil song, the soul is the same. It's only the style and technique that changes.

What happened to the second Colonial Cousins albun? Why did it do so poorly?

I'll tell you why. The brief was that it was being released internationally. So the whole production and way of thinking changed. It is technically a very good and evolved album compared to the first one but the difference was too much. You can say we changed too fast for our listeners. The third album Atma, which released last year, did well. The fourth one is in the works.

As a ghazal singer in the Indian tradition do you relate to the different types of music you have encountered here in the U.S.?

I definitely relate to jazz and blues. I call Kash my last album which was released one and half years ago … Urdu Blues. In fact this trip we recorded some musicians in New Orleans and Toronto and this is all going into my ghazal tracks for an album I will be releasing in November or December.

If you were able to do a collaborative album with any artist of your choice in this country who would that artist be?

Hmmm … probably a good artist. Stevie Wonder would do very well.

How do you feel about this trend towards the increasing globalization of music?

It is good on a broad spectrum because globalization is the order of the day. It creates new sounds, new influences. But among all this, doing all this, you've got to keep your roots pure, because that is why you're there. Music has the smell of a country. It has the sound of a country. If you sit in Poland and listen to a thumri, you're suddenly transported back to Delhi or Lucknow. I mean it is so powerful. That purity is what you want to maintain.

In world music there is good and bad music. Whatever the diversity is, there has to be unification when you do music. Even if there are two or three elements in one track, it has to stand for one kind of drone or sound or picture. Just by putting two things together you can't call it fusion. The demarcations should not be seen. It has to be blended.

On the whole though, I'd say it's a positive trend.

You have a worldwide audience for your music and several fan clubs on the Net. What do you bring to your fans?

I feel I am touching people and enriching their lives. Music should add value to people's lives. Yesterday I met fans after the concert … one of them was just 4. His mother said he downloads and listens to all my songs. I was so touched. There are the odd fans that try to pursue you and make a nuisance of themselves, but over the years you learn how to handle it.

I also want to say that audiences everywhere have been terrific. I can feel their energy when I enter the hall. I've been lucky that eight concerts out of 10, people don't want to leave the hall when the concert is over. It really moves me … I feel so fulfilled. It is a real, real, real high.

What advice would you give aspiring ghazal singers?

A good singer should always know what he is doing. Don't say "pata nahin, hit ho gaya." I always tell singers to learn and understand their music so that they have the language down fluently. Learn the basics, the grammar, or else you will be groping in the dark. When you do riyaz a lot of Indian-ness comes into the soul. There is an essence of culture in these old music traditions and when you touch it your soul is enlightened. And that is what your listener will hear when you sing.

You have it all. Where do you go from here?

I'm presently acting in a film in Tamil and Hindi. It is called Swayam and my co-star is Khushboo, a big name in the South. I've been getting other offers in films too. Maybe I'll explore that a bit. Not that it is going to be my mainstay. The usual question I get these days is aap kya sangeet chod denge? And I say, bilkul nahin chodunga, kyon chodunga (Absolutely not, why should I?). But I'm having fun. I keep ticking when I do new things.

Hariharan's concerts in California were organized by Shubhendu Banerjee of Harmoni Ventures.