Yusra thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 19 years ago
Indiantelevision.comIndiantelevision.com

Tease, Soak, Smear and Splash… It's Holi!

Serials require our TV stars to celebrate Holi with exuberance, TV shows need them dancing joyously to Bollywood Holi songs. But in reality, do our telly stars love playing Holi? Natasha Havewala decided to find out.

Television couple Rinku and Kiran Karmarkar are truly romantic when it comes to celebrating the festival of colours. "The vibrancy of colours in the air makes the entire ambience look like rainbow," sighs Rinku.

Who's the impish one? Kiran and Rinku Karmarkar

When it comes to playing with colours the couple is as different as chalk and cheese though. Kiran is reclusive, while Rinku is impish. Reminiscing, she says, "Last year when we were spraying colours on each other, a friend of ours suddenly played the song rang barse. I pulled Kiran to dance with me and we ended up doing the typical rang barse dance number and everyone applauded."

"This Holi my son Ishaan and me are going to get commended as we are rehearsing on the holi khele raghuveera number," laughs Rinku.

For Poonam and Manish Goyal, this Holi is a special event as it is their first Holi as proud parents of a baby boy.

Not much of a colour person, Manish loves to gorge on food and bhaang. "Poonam loves playing with colours. I remember our first Holi, when we had gone to my mother- in- law's place at Bandra. I was just chilling out, watching everyone play. Suddenly Poonam came from behind and soaked me with gulal. I ran after her and poured the entire bucket of coloured water on her and we started applying gulal on each other. The fun part came later because we took three hours to wash off the colours," he says.

Holi brings joy and colour in lives and is celebrated with high spirits without any geographical distinction. And that's precisely the reason; Niki Aneja Walia still cherishes the Holi she played last year with her hubby Sonny, who had the joie de vivre of colours for the first time in his life.

Nice to be high on bhaang? Niki and Sonny Walia

"Last Holi is special to me as it marks an antithesis in my life. It was the first time I drenched my hubby with colours and the last time I played with my dad. I remember my friends and family got together and coloured everyone black and blue. Of course the first doze of bhaang and jalebis kicks you high on the spirit of the festival with the ever flirtatious dance rang barse bheege chunar wali being a treat. In fact Sonny is excited about playing even this year," says a smiling Niki.

Indeed, Holi without bhaang is not only incomplete but imperfect and who better would know than the reticent Chetan Hansraj.

"All my friends had gathered to a friend's place in Bandra and after showering everyone with colours, we had bhaang. It was the first time I tasted it. I sneaked in the maximum share of thandai, sat under the sun and started waiting to get a kick. I kept wondering about the after effect but nothing seemed to happen. After some time, I remember laughing and not stopping," giggles Chetan recollecting nothing after the bhaang had its hypnotising effect.

His first Holi after the nuptials, Chetan plans to make it memorable for his wife Lavinia. "It will be the first time she would be playing with colours. I've planned to invite friends, drink bhaang and drench her with coloured waters; no dry gulal for me," he says matter-of- factly.

By NATASHA HAVEWALA Posted on 24 March 2005
More Features