sheetald thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago

Akshaye Khanna, Satish Kaushik and Anupam Kher with the cast and crew of Shaadi Se Pehle
On Ghai
Subhash Ghai wanted me to direct for a long time. In fact, he had bounced it off to me when I was shooting for his Ram Lakhan. He said that when he needs an outside director, I would be the first one he would call. But somehow it took some time.

Sometimes we had the script, but the cast didn't fall in place. We had zeroed down on a film called Majnu, with Aishwarya Rai and Arjun Rampal, but could not make much headway into the script for the second half of the film.

On Shaadi Se Pehle
Ghai bounced off the idea, then Sanjay Chhel came in for the script, and everything started falling in place. It was high time I kept up Ghai's faith in me. And he was offering me comedy, which I got very charged about. Isn't it strange that despite doing so many comic roles, I haven't directed a full length comedy yet?

On casting
Luckily, we got all the first choices we had in mind. The hero is a hypochondriac, and we wanted Akshaye Khanna because he has a lot of vulnerability in his face. Who better than Ayesha Takia if you want a bubbly girl next door with a great smile? And can you beat Mallika Sherawat if you need someone to play a diva, an international model who has her own definition on relationships?

On co-production with Anil
Anil Kapoor and I co-produced a film together, Badhai Ho Badhai. But it didn't work. We are open to working together again. However, I am happy that I was brave enough to try something new by creating a fat guy.

On the delay of Milenge Milenge
Not really. It's just that Boney has been through a lot in recent times, but he has now put it behind him after the success of No Entry. He wants to promote Milenge Milenge in a certain way and soon, everything will fall in place. The film has worked out well. Kareena has given a mind-blowing performance.

On Vaada being a flop
Some critics praised Vaada, but it didn't do well at the box-office. Perhaps I am not a thriller kind of person. A thriller can't have a single mistake, one minor flaw and the entire film goes for a toss. Also, I have realised that thrillers have a very select audience.

On wanting to turn producer
After a certain time, it becomes very difficult to direct from someone else's perspective. Sooner rather than later, I want to become an independent producer. I have bought a new office at Andheri, and my brother is helping me to look after it and making a few ad films.

On Ekta's film
Ekta Kapoor loved Tere Naam, and has been interacting with me since then. We were discussing a few stories since some time, and finally, we have a great story (Kya Love Storry Hai starring Tusshar and Ayesha) on our hands. I love Tusshar; he is such a soft and straightforward guy.

On his best actors
Amitabh Bachchan can do anything handsomely. I would love to work with him and am thinking on those lines. And Aamir Khan is brilliant. Who says he wants to hog the limelight? Watch Rang De Basanti and you will know what I mean. That man believes in a film. The same goes for Anil Kapoor too.

Mallika Sherawat
Punctuality, thy name is Mallika

She had reservations about doing a two-heroine project, but ultimately we narrated the whole script to her and she was convinced. I can handle heroines. I have worked with Tabu, Ameesha, Kareena, Shilpa, Sonali, and Ash.

At the end of the day, I have enjoyed working with her. For a 7 am shoot, she would report on the dot; that means she used to get up at 5 am and start doing her make-up.