Swapnil Joshi's 'hatke' gift to dentist w

sheetald thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago

Swapnil Joshi with wife Jui at the dental clinic in Borivili
Pic: Rane Ashish
As a first wedding anniversary gift to dentist wife Jui, actor Swapnil Joshi gifted her a clinic in Borivili. "All the work is finally over and we are having an auspicious start by having a puja this evening," he says.

"Our anniversary was on January 4 — the day I gifted her the place. The interiors were done and the equipment set up by February 14. Valentine's Day was certainly special, as Jui saw the place fully done up. She was totally zapped. And now, finally, the dentist's chair awaits its first patient," laughs Swapnil.

Opening day

Her husband is certainly not going to Jui's first patient. "We have invited family members, close friends and some of my co-stars for the opening today," he says.

Swapnil features as the bad guy Sunny in SaharaOne's afternoon soap, Hare Kaanch Ki Choodiyaan, and as Yash in the Marathi family drama, Adhuri Ek Kahaani, on Alpha Marathi. He is also seen on the floorboards in the Hindi play Tea, Coffee Or Me? which marks his theatre debut.

Low-key wedding

Swapnil had a low-key wedding sans the media blitzkrieg last year. "I preferred my marriage to be that way. Many people did not even know that I had tied the knot. It was an arranged marriage; our families knew each other. I had invited some actors for the ceremony."

Clinical ploy

The reason why Swapnil decided to present his wife with a clinic as an anniversary present was simple.

"I knew she would really appreciate this. She used to work with another dentist previously. Now, she is the boss and has even hired two assistants."

Though the couple lives in Thakur Village, Kandivili (East), Swapnil zeroed in on a place at Savarpada, Borivili (East) for the clinic. "I thought it would be a good idea to set up the clinic in that area, and it's not too far from home."

When he first bought the place, a dentist friend of theirs played along, acting as if he was setting up the place. "This served as the perfect ploy, and Jui did not suspect anything," says Swapnil.

"At the same time, she was also involved in setting it up. In fact, my parents supervised the interior work of the place. The secret was leaked only when it came to buying the dental equipment, as I did not want her to say later on, 'I wish you had told me; I would have selected only the best for myself'."

Swapnil facts

1. Made his acting debut as a kid in Ramanand Sagar's Uttar Ramayan on Doordarshan. He played the character of Kush and was selected through a nation-wide hunt for actors. Later he featured in Sagar's Shree Krishna as the young Krishna.

2. His first soap was Amanat (Zee) in which he was Inder. This was followed by Hadh Kar Di Aapne (Zee). His cameo in the film Ghulam-e-Mustafa led him to Des Mein Niklla Hoga Chand (Star Plus).

"As Aroona Irani was also in the film, she offered me Des Mein Niklla Hoga Chand in which I played Sam." He also played Dhruv in Kehta Hai Dil (Star Plus).