sawariyah thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
Bobby, Ayesha in Imtiaz Ali's next
Feb 13, 2006

Bobby Deol
Socha Na Tha director Imtiaz Ali is finally ready to roll with his next film. There has been speculation about what Imtiaz is doing after Socha Na Tha. The director was said to have signed four films, but never went on record about which of those would go on the floors first.

There have been reports that he has been approached to direct a sequel to Betaab that Sunny Deol has been planning.

"Sunny is a very good friend and we hang out together, so people put two and two together," says Imtiaz. "I am doing another film, Highway, with Sunny," he clarifies. "Besides Highway, I have two more films. One of them will be with a big star, while the other will be with a young actor."

Speaking to hitList on Friday, Ali revealed that he was going ahead with a musical love story, titled Geet, to be produced by HMV and Shreya Creations. The film will star Bobby Deol and Ayesha Takia.

Ayesha Takia
Punjabi kudi chahiye

"I wanted a Panju gal with a Punjabi accent. I considered quite a few options. But having worked with Ayesha in Socha Na Tha, I could not refrain drawing comparisons. I thought there was no one better than her for this role. I have a very comfortable equation with her — after all, I discovered her."

Ali says he will appoint a dialect instructor for Takia. "I have a different style of functioning. I make it mandatory to have workshops in departments which I feel need polishing."

If Ayesha Takia became a reference point while choosing the heroine, why didn't Imtiaz consider Socha Na Tha hero Abhay Deol for the hero? "Well, I needed someone who could play a rich industrialist. Bobby fitted the role better; Abhay would have been too young. The Geet story has been with me since a long time.

During the making of Socha Na Tha, Bobby had read it and said he wanted to play this role."

Like Kuljeet?

According to Imtiaz, Bobby's character is similar to actress Kuljeet Randhawa's real-life persona. "He is almost driven to the point of suicide (Kuljeet committed suicide on Wednesday). He is very brooding, silent and withdrawn; he doesn't have any friends." Imtiaz had directed Kuljeet in a music video.

Love in train

Ali says Takia and Bobby meet in a train. "Bobby doesn't know where he is headed.

He is tremendously frustrated — professionally and personally. Takia is going to Bhatinda via Delhi. Unlike Bobby, she is vivacious and bubbly." Geet starts in mid-March.